Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts

Question Do any of you use your 4G?

Today I was using my phone, and I was having connection issues. I went to turn on my bluetooth connection to use my headset, and then I noticed my 4G button. And then I thought about the fact that I don't think I've utilized my 4G connection in quite some time. At home I'm on wi-fi. At work I'm on 3G because my 4G connection sux inside my building. When I'm out, I don't think about it. 3G has been good enough for when I'm using the internet while I'm out. I felt like I've been doing my phone a disservice, not utilizing it to it's "full potential" and all. I've made a mental note to try and use it more, but honestly, I haven't had any problems NOT using it.

Has anyone else not been utilizing the 4G capability of the Evo? Just curious ...

Only if I'm watching something like a youtube video in hd and I'm not near a wifi hotspot. I don't really see the point otherwise. 3g is plenty fast for browsing.

My 4G is faster than my wifi (sucky apartment with tons of wifi signals) so when i'm home i actually keep 4G on and turn it off when i leave my home area.

I just tested my 4g speeds for the first time yesterday while I was downtown (St. Louis), and I only got ~2mbps down

4G is overflowing here in Chicago, so I use 4G all the time.
    If I were never here, you would never know.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,931 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    4G is overflowing here in Chicago, so I use 4G all the time.
    I don't live in Chicago, but I'm close so when I'm there I will turn it on to watch a youtube video or if I'm gonna be doing some web browsing or using an app to look stuff up. Other than that I keep it off because when I'm there I'm not by a charger.

Switched it on during a recent trip to Austin, TX, because the 3G there was horrendously bad. I was getting 22kbps down on 3G. The 4G worked fine.

At my home/home office, I can get 1-2 bars or about 3-4mbs compared to an average of .7mbs for 3G, but I still don't necessarily see a need to have it on often. 3G works fine for browsing, reading, searching and email I need to do on the EVO. I usually turn it on when I am going to be on long conference calls in case I need data - but I am also usually sitting in front of my PC!

I find it most valuable when I travel and need to tether my laptop - as long as I am in a city that has 4G. That's when it makes a big difference.
    Treo 650> Moto Q> Moto Q9c> BB Storm> HTC Touch Pro> iPhone 3G> Palm Pre> iPhone 3GS> Droid> Incredible> EVO 4G

Yup...4G will be HUGe with hotspots. Its legit broadband level speeds...maybe not consistently...but i was blown away when i did my speed test.

I only really use it when I browse content heavy sites and I'm too impatient to wait for 3G to load the site when 4G can load it in practically half the time. Otherwise, not really. I love having the option to though. I don't think I'm "not using the phone to its full potential" at all. I love this sucker! =D

I just got 9.3MB download in Salt Lake City. I actually have it on pretty much all day at work, since I just sit it on my charger when I'm not using it. Then when I take it to meetings I can utilize the 4G without having to worry about battery. I also turn it on to download big apps/games.

i use it when i go into one. either way i still download a ton on my account

2 weeks done 20 gigs in billing cycle so far
    Before Evo(blackberry tour):

Sprint Data 8/27 to 06/04 (JONATHAN)
    Used. 280,329KB/ Unlimited

After Evo:

Sprint Data 06/04 to 6/26 (JONATHAN)
    Used. 4,558,564KB/Unlimited

Evo with $30 mobile hotspot (no 4g)

Sprint Data 8/27 to 9/26
    Used. 54,205,343KB/ Unlimited

Mobile Hotspot record owner
    http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums

i turn it on via widget and use it when i need simultaneous voice + data. on the phone for a long time and want to get emails or check something on internet ex. stock prices.

however - it seems it gets finicky if i turn on 4G when i'm already on a phonecall.

Default Re: Do any of you use your 4G?

So does just leaving 4G on all the time really impact the battery? If yes, am I the only one who finds that odd? I'm still waiting for 4G to be turned on in my area, but if I end up having to manually turn it on and off I'm going to be annoyed.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,931 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It does affect battery life. Many people have tested and confirmed this. It has a lot to do with signal strength and the fact that 4G isn't very consistent most of the time.

I was extremely excited to get 4g here in St. Louis, but I rarely use it.

I have found that 4G is better when to are using the hotspot feature. I see the biggest difference there. It does affect the battery life quite a bit.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

I use 4g when I watch adult material.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    I use 4g when I watch adult material.
    lol now i gotta ask... specifically what kind?
    Before Evo(blackberry tour):

Sprint Data 8/27 to 06/04 (JONATHAN)
    Used. 280,329KB/ Unlimited

After Evo:

Sprint Data 06/04 to 6/26 (JONATHAN)
    Used. 4,558,564KB/Unlimited

Evo with $30 mobile hotspot (no 4g)

Sprint Data 8/27 to 9/26
    Used. 54,205,343KB/ Unlimited

Mobile Hotspot record owner
    http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums

As long as I stay in Houston I leave 4g on. I don't bother with wi-fi at home.

I leave it off most of the time to conserve battery lift.

I have a 4g card and hotspot for my house so it's pointless to turn WiFi on at home because I would just be using the same network. I use it at the office every now and then. Here in Vegas its pretty good, so I mostly use it when I'm waiting for something or before class.

4G service where I live is very spotty (I literally live on the last house on the street that with 4G coverage according to the coverage map), so i usually don't turn it on unless I am having issues with speed and there is no available wifi.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

I use it a lot when I am on a call someone is always asking me for something that requires me to use data.

Later,
    Dave

Default Re: Do any of you use your 4G?

Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    My 4G is faster than my wifi (sucky apartment with tons of wifi signals)
    Not to go off topic but why not use the free app from the market called WiFi analyzer and find a clean channel in your apt and change your wireless router to that channel??

BOT, I live in 4G and only turn it on for testing purposes. Other than that its a battery hog and 3G suits my needs perfectly.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I am constantly using my 4G connection with the WiFi Hotspot
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast