Phone locks up when trying to delete text messages

clafountaine

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
My EVO has gotten really sluggish when doing texting. From getting a notification and having to wait several seconds for the actual message to pop up, to typing and opening message threads. I never was one to delete threads, but feel that because I have not cleaned things up, it may be what's slowing me down. I'd like to not have to delete the treads, but feel I have to.

Anytime I try and delete a message thread thats large, I get the "force close" window. Once I force close it, the phone completely locks up. even the power button wont work. I attempted to use handcent to clean them up and same problem. Also, I tried to do a wipe off all texts at once and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions??

Luce

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
This seems to happen to all android phones.

1. Manually delete messages until you get a thread to about 500 or less messages. You should then safely be able to delete the entire thread.

2. Handscent allows you to select multiple messages at a time and delete them. Might be a bit faster than option 1.

3. Do a factory reset on your phone. Most drastic of the steps.

Raidz1

Apr 27, 2010
www.area-59.net
I too has this problem, searched for an answer. The only thing that helped this was a hard reset. Ever since I reset the phone, it has been running a LOT smoother & faster.

I did not want to hard reset my phone, but I just backed up all my important apps/info, & didn't turn back.

Hope that helps.

Prophet Zarquon

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Surely all the messages are contained in a file or folder somewhere.

Every app I've tried either fails to delete my old messages (can't delete them one at a time because the Threads view locks up every messaging app I've tried) or says it has done so, then my messages are still there.

I want to just delete the whole file. Anyone know where it is?
(Evo 2.2 Froyo rollback, rooted)

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Or, or, you could go to dialer storage in Settings>Apps>Manage Apps>Dialer Storage>Clear Data. Be warned though, you lose all messages, as it deletes all of them. And service will drop for a second.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08