Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Hi-Res toggle

    Many of us that's been using the VaelPak series of ROMs have been lucky enough to use the developer Vaelek's Hi-Res addon. It's absolutely awesome. Things look so much crisper and overall just nicer. You also get to fit a lot more in the screen which is helpful for things like web browsing. WELL... he's finally got an actual app in the market as of about 20 minutes ago that'll let you toggle between standard res and hi-res! You MUST be rooted though. I must note that there are SOME apps that may not play nice. They'll work, but for some apps the resolution wont change and it'll look really small in the screen. Engadget is one of these apps. It's not that big of a deal for me personally simply because the good FAR outweighs the slight annoyance of having only some apps not size up right.. Anyway, scan the QR below and it'll take you right to the app. The app is $.99 and worth every penny. This should work for all ROMs. HOWEVER, there's been a few reports of it not working with rooted stock 2.2's

    Disclaimer As ALL things root, I am NOT nor is Vaelek (the developer) responsible for anything that may happen to your phone. This app has been vigorously tested and no problems have been found. However, as with everything that involves root, the risk in yours. Any problems email the developer immediately. I'm sure those using VaelPak ROMs will agree that Vaelek is VERY good at helping people with issues. If you are having issues, WAIT until you get a response from Vaelek before you start dishing out low ratings...

    EDIT: Version 1.1 just released. A few new features. First one is the ability to set your own density value. The original value is saved. Another new feature is a restore option where it'll reboot and restore the phone to the original value. Then there's the last new feature. Remote automatic restore and reboot. Basically if you ever go crazy and set the density so low that you can't read anything (more of an issue with smaller screens) all you have to do is just text your phone restoggle:reset and when your phone gets the text, it'll restore the original density value and reboot the phone. You'll never have to worry about anything... Here's a quick video demonstration:








    Last edited by Jerzyiroc; 10-13-2010 at 10:51 PM.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  
    Trust's Avatar

    Posts
    321 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vaelpak 2.3 Ziggy Kernel

    Default

    no way am I touching that. I don't like messing with apps that mess with pixel density (if that's what it is)
    HTC Evo 4G running OTA 3.70.651.5 (Rooted) with Netarchy SBC Kernel 4.2.2
  3. #3  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    I'm not a fan of the hi-res, it just shrinks everything. But the app does work, and ps I seen you over at xda when you asked vaeleks permission too post this haha.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    no way am I touching that. I don't like messing with apps that mess with pixel density (if that's what it is)
    It works perfectly on the Evo. Myself as others have been using this for a little while now with no issues. I say give it a shot.


    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    I'm not a fan of the hi-res, it just shrinks everything. But the app does work, and ps I seen you over at xda when you asked vaeleks permission too post this haha.
    Things are smaller, but it still looks crisper don't you think? I notice it the most with browsing the web and in the text app Handcent. It's weird going back to standard res lol... And ya, I wanted to make sure it was cool with him haha.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Hi-Res toggle

    It def does wat it says and give you crazy clear crisp images but on the other hand it does make things smaller and off centers my clock :-( other than that its nice
    HTC Shooter

    Stalk Me
  6. #6  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    I don't think its any crisper, its an illusion really.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Hi-Res toggle

    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    I don't think its any crisper, its an illusion really.
    No it is...cuz its smaller
    HTC Shooter

    Stalk Me
  8. #8  
    Dave Blake's Avatar

    Posts
    1,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

    Default

    I can't do it Jersey I got the EVO with the large screen because I can't see small print any more with my old tired eyes. I tried it but I don't like the smaller print. It does make the screen look crisp and clean.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Vaelpak come with the hi rez, and I'm in love. Everything looks so much better!
    ROMS, soooo many choices....

    Just root your phone already; you know you want to.
  10. #10  
    bjordan's Avatar

    Posts
    292 Posts
    ROM
    Evo: CM7

    Default

    Interesting. I might give it a shot. Jerzyiroc, ignore the PM I sent you about this, this thread cleared things up for me.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Any idea what Hi-Res does to battery life? Any effect?

    Thanks
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - 4.2.2
    ---------
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus - 4.2.1
    HTC EVO 4G - 2.3.5
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtronic View Post
    Any idea what Hi-Res does to battery life? Any effect?

    Thanks
    No negative effects at all. It's an app that puts it in "hi-res". It's not an app that's actively doing it.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  13. #13  
    Trust's Avatar

    Posts
    321 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vaelpak 2.3 Ziggy Kernel

    Default

    /arms folded

    Still a definite no from me. It's like saying a crappy mpg video looks more high res from 6 feet away then it does it you sit in front of the screen.
    HTC Evo 4G running OTA 3.70.651.5 (Rooted) with Netarchy SBC Kernel 4.2.2
  14. #14  

    Default

    I like it.. thanks for the heads up Jerzy.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Hi-Res toggle

    Quote Originally Posted by trust View Post
    /arms folded

    still a definite no from me. It's like saying a crappy mpg video looks more high res from 6 feet away then it does it you sit in front of the screen.
    lmfao
    HTC Shooter

    Stalk Me
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default

    Just posted by the developer on XDA explaining what the Hi-res does..

    Vaelek: Also for those wondering exactly what the density is and what ResToggle really does, since the resolution does not change... The density is changed from 240 to 200, lowering 1 dip from 1.5 pixels to 1.25 pixels. Making the effective resolution go from 480x800 to 600x1000.

    I also just found this on Wikepedia, which makes me wonder why HTC sets it to 240. This would suggest that the true native resolution of the EVO is 540x920 if I'm doing my math right.

    "Unlike many other smartphones in the consumer market, the Evo has a large 4.3-inches (480-by-800) TFT LCD capacitive touch screen display with a pixel density of 216 pixels per inch (ppi)."
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  17. #17  

    Default

    Just bought it...I love it. Thanks for the post Jerzyiroc
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - 4.2.2
    ---------
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus - 4.2.1
    HTC EVO 4G - 2.3.5
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    I also just found this on Wikepedia, which makes me wonder why HTC sets it to 240. This would suggest that the true native resolution of the EVO is 540x920 if I'm doing my math right.

    "Unlike many other smartphones in the consumer market, the Evo has a large 4.3-inches (480-by-800) TFT LCD capacitive touch screen display with a pixel density of 216 pixels per inch (ppi)."
    The resolution is 480x800, meaning 480 horizontal pixels and 800 vertical pixels. That is a physical number that can't be changed.

    However, you don't have to use each pixel in a 1:1 ratio to the native resolution of what it's displaying, which is where he mentions "dpi" (I put it in quotes because dots per inch is not a term that should be used for displays, only printers. Pixels per inch is the proper term). You can use more than one display pixel to represent a dot in something fixed like a photo. That's basically what you're doing if you zoom in on a photo: you take one dot from that photo and use, say, 9 display dots to represent it. That's effectively enlarging the photo 3 times which is now why you can only see part of it on the screen.

    For the Evo, they chose the 240 number because that's a good size for reading text most likely. But they could have chose any number, really. They could have a "far-sighted" mode and set it to 320.
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  
    vaelek's Avatar

    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    The resolution is 480x800, meaning 480 horizontal pixels and 800 vertical pixels. That is a physical number that can't be changed.

    However, you don't have to use each pixel in a 1:1 ratio to the native resolution of what it's displaying, which is where he mentions "dpi" (I put it in quotes because dots per inch is not a term that should be used for displays, only printers. Pixels per inch is the proper term). You can use more than one display pixel to represent a dot in something fixed like a photo. That's basically what you're doing if you zoom in on a photo: you take one dot from that photo and use, say, 9 display dots to represent it. That's effectively enlarging the photo 3 times which is now why you can only see part of it on the screen.

    For the Evo, they chose the 240 number because that's a good size for reading text most likely. But they could have chose any number, really. They could have a "far-sighted" mode and set it to 320.
    DIP is not the same thing as DPI. I said DIP.

    DIP = device independent pixel. On an evo, at the default density of 240, 1 dip = 1.5 pixels. So every app is effectively being artificially scaled up by 50%. DIP was created to allow an app to be written for one screen size, and have it show up exactly the same on all devices.

    If an app layout was created with absolute positioning to be exactly 480x800, on a stock evo, it would not fit on the screen.

    Based on this, the "crispness" is not an illusion, and things are not simply made smaller, they are made 50% closer to the native 1:1 size.

    This is not the equivalent to watching a movie from further away. A better analogy, is that the default "resolution" is the equivalent of watching a movie with your face six inches from the monitor.

    Just a quick added note, I should be pushing out 1.1 this weekend, which will support custom densities, as well as storing your original default setting for restoring should you not remember what it was. "Standard" is only known to be the factory default for EVOs. This new version should bring wider support for more devices.
  20. #20  

    Default

    It won't take on my stock Evo 2.2 /w root.

    App won't reboot the phone and a manual reboot does not change anything...still normal res.
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    It won't take on my stock Evo 2.2 /w root.

    App won't reboot the phone and a manual reboot does not change anything...still normal res.
    Just the obvious, but did you make sure to give it root rights when prompted?
  22. #22  

    Default

    Yeah, it prompted and I granted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdorty View Post
    Just the obvious, but did you make sure to give it root rights when prompted?
  23. #23  
    C01E's Avatar

    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

    Default

    Paid for the app a few days ago, thing is awesome!

    - Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using tapatalk.
    HTC Apache > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch > BB Curve 8310 > iPhone 3G > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G
    Currently testing every rom under the sun to see which one I like best. Warm 2.2 is current winner!
  24. #24  
    jfenton's Avatar

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

    Default

    Why can't I find this in the market?????????????
  25. #25  

    Default

    I was hoping this would sharpen videos or movies but I don't see a difference. Uninstalled and got a refund.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B