what does leaving backround data on do?

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if i should turn this off and if i turn it off and leave auto sync on will my exchange emails still push to the phone?
Thanks

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if i should turn this off and if i turn it off and leave auto sync on will my exchange emails still push to the phone?
Thanks

Leaving background data on allows apps and services (ie weather, social networking, email) to sync without you initiating them manually.

If you turn it off, the only apps that will use data are the ones you are actively using at a given time, ie browsing and manually initiating app syncs. So no, your exchange email will not push to the phone.

Under normal circumstances, the only reason to turn it off would be if you're in a bad signal area and data use drains the battery rapidly. You would still be able calls and texts without the data use pulling the battery down.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you turn this on/off for each app? I may want it on for email and FB but not other apps.

Yes you can turn it off for each app. Go into "Accoutns & Sync" and you can do each app option.

Accounts and sync just turns off auto syncing. It doesn't turn off always on data for each account.

Always on data is all or nothing.

You could go to accounts and sync and stop all of your accounts from syncing but keep the data on so you still get your emails.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I hope the various similar-sounding settings get sorted out in future Android releases. We have "background data", "auto-sync", and "always on mobile data" that all seem like they could overlap on functionality and we don't have a clear understanding of exactly what they do...unless I just haven't seen where it's documented.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have back-ground data enabled 24/7 and the only time I note a battery issue is when the 3G thing is not showing 3G, which means I am in a bad reception area. My exchange does not exchange when background data is off. Interesting.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This has always been up for contention. The exchange push with data off. Theoretically it shouldn't receive connections with data off because the phone has no data signal.

Some people say it does. So I would say there really is no clear cut answer on this subject. I leave mine on and have good battery life.

Background data is what it's called when an app is allowed to open a data connection without actually being open (like facebook for HTC Sync).

Always on Mobile Data is the setting that manages the data connection (and theoretically the ability for apps to be able to use background data).

Auto-sync is when an app is set to open a data connection in set intervals to use background data to update (like facebook for HTC sync does for friendstream).

User One

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I leave my background off all the time with only one exception..when I use the market. Everything still works (and syncs) on my phone with background data off..no problems...matbe I'm missing something but it's not apparent at this point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1