Market no longer downloads or upgrades apps. Please help!

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. I've had the evo since its debut and its been an awesome device. Lately however, I've noticed that the phone no longer upgrades apps or downloads new ones. It is stuck on " "starting download" but never begins downloading.

I have tried clearing the cache, and force stopping the app to no avail.
I had deleted Google voice a while back and I have heard that may be the problem. I can't reinstall it to get the market running normally again.

I have read that removing the SD card followed with a factory reset may fix it. Is this true? Are there any other suggestions? i really want to get this thing back to normal. Please help!

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Google voice doesn't have anything to do with it in my experience as I've had it happen many times in my travels and don't use Google voice. Also never done the SDcard thing but it sounds like placebo effect to me.

The way I fix it usually is by flashing my ROM but if you're not rooted you may not have that option so a factory reset should do you fine but have you let your phone sit while it says starting download? I let mine sit one day for about 30 minutes and it finally kicked off.

Cubanjinx

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
KSmith gives good advice but before you do that try going to a desktop or maybe even the mobile site of gmail and check to see if there has been any "unusual activity" google may want you to change your password. The same thing you're explaining happened to me and come to find out my account had been hacked into. Give it a shot and good luck

TheReclinerJockey

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It's not just you, don't freak out. There has been lots of talk on twitter from other people having the same problem. Like me for example, I haven't been able to get anything to download or upload properly for days now.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with mine. I went to update an app and it got stuck. Since i am not rooted, the only thing that worked for me eas to wipe the phone and reinstalk everything. Have not had a problem since

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with mine. I went to update an app and it got stuck. Since i am not rooted, the only thing that worked for me eas to wipe the phone and reinstalk everything. Have not had a problem since

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Yeah I have a feeling I have to do the same. Factory reset and start over. I wonder if this has anything to do with appbrain.

EVOlved Geek

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
This is probably a dumb question, but have you tried clearing both the data and the cache (as opposed to cache only)?

The next time you go in to Market, you'll have to give it your gmail account info again. However, I've had this happen in the past with apps trying to update. Clearing both the data and the cache helped resolve it for me.

YMMV of course

spalten

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I had this same problem. I am not rooted and don't have appbrain installed.

The one fix I did that finally fixed it for me was switch to wifi, connect to my home network and then download an app or upgrade some apps. Once I did that everything worked fine again both on wifi and 3g.

I had the problem pop up again just yesterday and the wifi trick worked again for me. No idea why or what is going on, but it has worked 2 times for me. Good luck if it helps you out.

Norwester

May 16, 2010
Visit site
For about a week mine was downloading updates but would get stuck installing at least one each time,then every time I'd open Downloads in Market it'd show them still downloading. Finally noticed the download folder on my SD card and manually installed them from there. Its been working fine the last couple days.

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
This is probably a dumb question, but have you tried clearing both the data and the cache (as opposed to cache only)?

The next time you go in to Market, you'll have to give it your gmail account info again. However, I've had this happen in the past with apps trying to update. Clearing both the data and the cache helped resolve it for me.

YMMV of course

Thanks for the help. I cleared the cache, cleared the data and then force stopped the market. Still no luck. The market is stuck at " starting download". This is unfortunately a really big problem with Android. So far its a bear to get rid of.

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
For about a week mine was downloading updates but would get stuck installing at least one each time,then every time I'd open Downloads in Market it'd show them still downloading. Finally noticed the download folder on my SD card and manually installed them from there. Its been working fine the last couple days.

This is the problem I am having. I'll click "upgrade" and leave the phone be for an hour. I'll come back to it and the app is still downloading. I cleared market cache and data.

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I had this same problem. I am not rooted and don't have appbrain installed.

The one fix I did that finally fixed it for me was switch to wifi, connect to my home network and then download an app or upgrade some apps. Once I did that everything worked fine again both on wifi and 3g.

I had the problem pop up again just yesterday and the wifi trick worked again for me. No idea why or what is going on, but it has worked 2 times for me. Good luck if it helps you out.

Just tried this too. Still stuck

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Had this happening to me for awhile, too. I would try canceling the downloads but it would fc market. I restarted a few times and tried canceling them again (long press>cancel) and it worked. Then I went to the 3 things and manually upgraded/dled and they worked.

I think all these new weird things that have started happening recently are due to a very common app, that many of us have, updating. I've also recently been having random reboots, and never have since launch day, and HORRID battery life. Uptime/Awake time are exactly the same. I literally unplugged my phone this morning at 8:30am and fell back asleep, woke up at 1:30pm and battery was at 58%. A whopping 42% drain in 5 hours, completely idle?? Not acceptable.

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Tried to manually update but same result. Tried the long cancel download press too. I am trying everything to avoid a factory reset, because I lose everything. this is bizarre. I have no idea what brought this about in the first place. Pretty discouraging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463