Got rid of my Evo...

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I had my Evo since launch date. One of my friends wanted an Evo really badly, and they were out everywhere, so he bought an Epic. I let him know that I wanted an Epic, so we decided to just trade phones! WIn-Win situation. I really liked my Evo, except for a few things. Major things. However, this thread is not really to focus on the negative. INstead, the positive.

Now that I have an Epic, which I am madly in love with (really, can I marry it?) I realize how awesome HTC Sense really is. It makes a huge difference in the Android platform, and it looks great while adding great functionality. Samsung's Skin just cannot compare.

I said goodbye to my Evo, and I won't look back at all. The Epic is much better for me, and I think it's a much better device in general. But I will miss the heck out of HTC's Sense. If I could get Sense on my Epic, I would do it in a heartbeat.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
what did you like best about Sense?

Hard question, actually, because I really liked all of it.

I liked the fact that it includes good looking, and consistent widgets. I liked that HTC really dwelled into the apps themselves, for example, the "people" app has a lot (A LOT) more options than Samsung's; like seeing messages you have sent from that person, emails, facebook updates, pictures, and more. I liked the weather app on the HTC, since I used it a lot. I really enjoyed the messaging widgets, email widgets, and calendar widgets supplied by HTC, I used those every day.

Just the customizability of HTC Sense is great overall. I feel I can't really make my Epic be mine, and uniquely mine.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I had my Evo since launch date. One of my friends wanted an Evo really badly, and they were out everywhere, so he bought an Epic. I let him know that I wanted an Epic, so we decided to just trade phones! WIn-Win situation. I really liked my Evo, except for a few things. Major things. However, this thread is not really to focus on the negative. INstead, the positive.

Now that I have an Epic, which I am madly in love with (really, can I marry it?) I realize how awesome HTC Sense really is. It makes a huge difference in the Android platform, and it looks great while adding great functionality. Samsung's Skin just cannot compare.

I said goodbye to my Evo, and I won't look back at all. The Epic is much better for me, and I think it's a much better device in general. But I will miss the heck out of HTC's Sense. If I could get Sense on my Epic, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Cue the Violins......:p :D

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Web browser

what did you like best about Sense?

Its hard to remember all of the different things but off the top of my head the cut and paste function in the web browser is a big one for me. Also the way Sense integrates the contacts with the other sources, facebook,twitter, with the linked function. You don't have to search for it, it is right there in front of you with a big green circle and number of options you can use to integrate your contacts. My wife just created a second gmail account for work. She sent me a email from that account and as soon as I opened it up under favorites I had a new notification from sense telling me one of my contacts had a new email account would I like to link it? I have been rooted from day one and have played with almost every rom out there. I have paid for rom manager premium and have downloaded and installed near every rom on the list (And more) and I am now back to running the joey krim stock 2.2 rooted with dev tools. Without diving into it and creating a log of what I like best I can say that the experience of using the stock sense over other roms (For me) is much smoother and EVERYTHING seems to be well integrated and intuitive. Plain and and simple everything works and it works well. The way the Sense favorites widget links all of your contacts corospondence together, SMS, emails, facebook, it is all there in one place, I love it. And I have my WIFI hotspot :)

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The Epic is much better for me, and I think it's a much better device in general.

Better because you like smaller screens?
Better because you like a keyboard?
Much better device in general?

-The buttons on the bottom on a lot of (Galaxy S) Epics do not function properly. Specifically the back button. Google it

-The construction of that phone feels cheap and plasticy in your hands.

- Samsung's UI is so unimpressive.

Honestly the only reason I would even consider an Epic is for the screen, and if it came down to that I'd take the iPhone 4 over it just for screen.

Whatever works for you enjoy!

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
We have both in our house. My partner has to have a keyboard and she LOVES her Epic. You'd have to pry my Evo out of my cold dead fingers. I don't see why people bash one Android phone over the other. It's all a matter of what works for you. If the Epic makes you happy more power to you!

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Better because you like smaller screens?
Better because you like a keyboard?
Much better device in general?

-The buttons on the bottom on a lot of (Galaxy S) Epics do not function properly. Specifically the back button. Google it

-The construction of that phone feels cheap and plasticy in your hands.

- Samsung's UI is so unimpressive.

Honestly the only reason I would even consider an Epic is for the screen, and if it came down to that I'd take the iPhone 4 over it just for screen.

Whatever works for you enjoy!

The sven size difference is hardly noticeable. My capacitive buttons on the bottom work perfectly. And yes, it feels slightly cheaper.

However the last one, which is the only of the three statements you mentioned that is true and has meaning, does not interfere with performance. In fact:

- I can actually play gameloft and other 3d games on the epic without lag or wanting to throw the phone against the wall.

-The UI, although unimpressve, is smoother. Perhaps becase my phon is not limited to 30 fps, and instead avrages 59fps.

-The camera on evo is a joke compared to epic. Do you like having bad cameras?

-The Epic screen quality is much better.

- I have gorilla glass.

- my battery lasts longer.

- the screen on epic is much, MUCH more responsive than evo.

I could go on. But like I said above, evo is a great device.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The sven size difference is hardly noticeable. My capacitive buttons on the bottom work perfectly. And yes, it feels slightly cheaper.

However the last one, which is the only of the three statements you mentioned that is true and has meaning, does not interfere with performance. In fact:

- I can actually play gameloft and other 3d games on the epic without lag or wanting to throw the phone against the wall.

-The UI, although unimpressve, is smoother. Perhaps becase my phon is not limited to 30 fps, and instead avrages 59fps.

- I have gorilla glass.

Ok some counters to your points made.

1.Gaming: The iphone 3GS and iPhone 4 are the REAL gamers when it comes to cellphones. Sony knows this and they are specifically targetting the iphone audience. Gaming on a cellphone isnt all it's cracked up to be due to the fact that the battery drains so quickly and runs so hot after a gaming session. I remember playing "Let's Golf" on the iPhone. my battery was at 50% and when I was done with 1 round of golf (19 holes) the battery was hot to touch and down to 25%. Ever since then I just keep my Nintendo DS around to play or play less battery consuming games.

2. FPS only matter when it comes to gaming. My rooted Evo averages 54FPS but I don't really care too much for it because I don't play 3D games (see reason 1)

3. Camera: The Evo takes good pictures in my opinion. Good is better than nothing. If photographs were THAT important to me I wouldnt be turning to a cellphone's camera. I'd have a REAL Camera with me.

4. Screen Quality: yes, the Epic has a nice screen. In fact the iphone 4 has a nice screen AND plays games better than the Epic so I dont know why you settled on the Epic for gaming.

5. Gorilla glass: This feature I could care less about. I have had 2 iphones, 2 HTC Windows Mobile phones and now the Evo and have yet to drop any of them on the ground. I guess the gorilla glass is great if you use your Epic as a hockey puck.

6. Battery Life: You keep pushing the gaming idea across. With that in my mind I doubt your battery is going to last.

7. Again, the iphone 3G which is 3 years old has a more response touch screen than any new phones these days. Evo is good enough for me. I dont do mobile Autocad or drawing to need that kind of precision.

I'm open to counter debate if you wish just stick to the facts.

Edit: correction I was running 54FPS with my last custom ROM. ACROM has the FPS locked at 30. meh whatever.

Last edited:

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok some counters to your points made.

1.Gaming: The iphone 3GS and iPhone 4 are the REAL gamers when it comes to cellphones. Sony knows this and they are specifically targetting the iphone audience. Gaming on a cellphone isnt all it's cracked up to be due to the fact that the battery drains so quickly and runs so hot after a gaming session. I remember playing "Let's Golf" on the iPhone. my battery was at 50% and when I was done with 1 round of golf (19 holes) the battery was hot to touch and down to 25%. Ever since then I just keep my Nintendo DS around to play or play less battery consuming games.

2. FPS only matter when it comes to gaming. My rooted Evo averages 54FPS but I don't really care too much for it because I don't play 3D games (see reason 1)

3. Camera: The Evo takes good pictures in my opinion. Good is better than nothing. If photographs were THAT important to me I wouldnt be turning to a cellphone's camera. I'd have a REAL Camera with me.

4. Screen Quality: yes, the Epic has a nice screen. In fact the iphone 4 has a nice screen AND plays games better than the Epic so I dont know why you settled on the Epic for gaming.

5. Gorilla glass: This feature I could care less about. I have had 2 iphones, 2 HTC Windows Mobile phones and now the Evo and have yet to drop any of them on the ground. I guess the gorilla glass is great if you use your Epic as a hockey puck.

6. Battery Life: You keep pushing the gaming idea across. With that in my mind I doubt your battery is going to last.

7. Again, the iphone 3G which is 3 years old has a more response touch screen than any new phones these days. Evo is good enough for me. I dont do mobile Autocad or drawing to need that kind of precision.

I'm open to counter debate if you wish just stick to the facts.

Edit: correction I was running 54FPS with my last custom ROM. ACROM has the FPS locked at 30. meh whatever.

I disagree with basically everything. The reason why is because you have different priorities. I want ONE device to do as much as possible and as best as possible.

1. The only reason the iPhone is better for gaming is because it has more choices of games; something that is rapidly changing. The Epic actually has a more powerful graphics chip than any iPhone.

2. No. FPS matters when it comes to everything. Your entire experience is affected, including touch responsiveness. Compare an Evo with a Droid Incredible for an example. Same chips, same everything, but one is capped. Tell me which one is more responsive: Incredible. If you want further testing on this, there is an app on the market called "Screen Test Toolkit" that will allow you to see how responsive your touch screen is. This is all about FPS, in addition to gaming and video.

3. Again, I want a device that does everything the best. I don't want to carry around a phone, a camera, a PSP, a calculator, an alarm clock, etc. My Epic takes as good of pictures as my Nikon 8mp camera. I have compared. Samsung makes cameras. They know how to do it well in a small package. I don't want to carry around other devices.

4. The iPhone does not play games better than Epic. It simply has a larger selection. Again, see #1. The iPhone has more resolution, not more color. I used t think the iPhone had the absolute best display before I had an Epic. Now, I think it's a choice: do you prefer better colors and contrast, or more pixel density? I prefer the color. I LOVE the absolute blacks this gives me. It's amazing.

5. You know, I don't drop my phone either, but it's nice to know that if I dropped my phone, it has a greater possibility of not breaking. Also, the main reason I mention gorilla glass is because it tells me that Samsung is willing to use quality materials in their devices.

6. My battery does last. In fact, I am 100% sure (but I have not measured) that my battery lasts more than your iPhone example with gaming. I game all the time. Don't have to recharge until at night. And I wake up at 6:13am. (yes, 6:13...) Unplugg around 645.

7. This can be open to interpretation, but I think the Epic has just as responsive of a touch screen as any iPhone. Try it yourself. I try an iPhone 4 every day. (my coworker has one)

I think Epic and iPhone go head to head in basically everything. This is the only Android phone that I have had that I am proud to compete with any iPhone owner. It's Android's first iPhone "killer."

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

- I have gorilla glass.

Agree with you on screen size... Pretty much a wash.. 4.3 vs 4.0 not THAT big of a difference... Minimal at best.

Root your phone and you can get rid of the FPS and lag.. I rooted and average over 50 fps in test but I don't play games let alone 3D games so this is irrelevant to me.

The EVO takes pretty good pictures... You just have to manually adjust the settings to get the better quality... if you leave it on "AUTO" you have to be in perfect lighting for it to take a quality picture.. The software needs some adjusting as many people seem to get much better pictures with after market Camera Apps

Screen quality is just in the eye of the beholder. I played with an Epic for 20 minutes and compared it to my EVO and the colors seemed deeper and it did appear to be a nicer quality but like screen size I felt the difference was minimal at best. It wasn't like the difference between my old tube TV and my full HD LED TV.. it's more the difference between 1080p Plasma or 1080p LCD.. Their both great and they both have different people who claim one is better than the other....

:D Gorilla Glass :D I have to laugh good at that one.... Gorilla Glass is just a trademark name by Corning.... It's just tempered glass like the windshield of your car.... I have had my EVO since launch with no screen protector and no case... Not a single scratch on my phone... The edges of the phone have a couple of dings from going in and out of my pocket and resting in the cup holder of my car but nothing on the screen... If you think that Gorilla Glass is so awesome get a handful of sand and rub it around on the screen (and video it for us).... Sales and Marketing 101.... Build around a name.... Get people to buy the name not the actual product... Apple is KING at this these days... Those Apple freaks will buy any thing with their logo on it (not to say Apple makes a bad product, I have two iPods and used the iPhone for two years before switching to Android)..

Battery life? Root your phone and get better battery life... If gaming is that big a deal for you get the ugly Seidio 3500 mAh battery or a couple of spare stock batteries... I average 18 hours a day now with between 20 - 40% remaining and even before I rooted I put in the same 16 - 18 hours with 10 - 20% remaining...

If you were unhappy with a feature on the EVO (or any phone or product for that matter) fine you have every right in the world to make a switch.. Just make the switch and fade off into the distance.. No reason to go on an EVO board and tell us all your sob story of why you got rid of your EVO... Enjoy the Epic... I see nothing wrong with it...

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This is what got to me comparing my Evo to an Epic, is my Evo is rooted running CM6 and I get around 54fps and it's way faster than stock. I'm running SetCPU so my battery is fine.

All that being said when I was playing with the Epic stock it felt faster and the screen looked better than my rooted Evo, like I just said in a different thread I love my Evo but the biggest question I have after playing with the Epic is, what is the Epic going to be like after it gets rooted and runs something like CM6?

I think the Epic does feel a little cheaper in my hand than the Evo does, but if say Otterbox was to release a case for it I'm sure it'd feel great.

I was playing angry birds on the Epic and I just noticed how fast it was and how great the contrast was, I didn't notice .3" at all. I could care less about the keyboard and would probably never use it.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I am proud to compete with any iPhone owner. It's Android's first iPhone "killer."

There is no such thing as an iPhone killer and let me tell you why:

The iPhone OS- it just WORKS. there are no force closes, there are no task killers, there are no needs for reboots. No mobile phone has touched Apple's OS in usability and stability. (I came to the Evo because I love customizing the heck out of my phones so it was the right choice for me...besides, widgets rock!)

Accessories- The iPod has become the standard of mp3 players all over the world. Almost every new car made today has an iPod jack. I used to be able to plug my iPhone into my iPod jack in my car and control the tracks from my steering wheel. Now, I have 6 feet of ugly Aux cable running from my car to my Evo. The only accessories I've seen so far for the Evo are cases and batteries. Everything else is generic. There are BOSE speaker systems devoted to the iPod.

Music player- iPod...enough said.

The Samsung Galaxy S series an iphone killer? hardly. They need to learn how to make a UI that comes close to Sense first BEFORE they even try and attempt at killing anything.

Like I said in a prior post my co worker has the Epic. I picked it up and looked at it "ooh pretty screen", I long pressed to add a widget, looked at the primitive selection options and handed it back to him.

Funny thing is I have 2 other friends at the office who also own Evos. Their reaction to the Epic was the same "nice screen...the rest is meh".

Last edited:

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Agree with you on screen size... Pretty much a wash.. 4.3 vs 4.0 not THAT big of a difference... Minimal at best.

Root your phone and you can get rid of the FPS and lag.. I rooted and average over 50 fps in test but I don't play games let alone 3D games so this is irrelevant to me.

The EVO takes pretty good pictures... You just have to manually adjust the settings to get the better quality... if you leave it on "AUTO" you have to be in perfect lighting for it to take a quality picture.. The software needs some adjusting as many people seem to get much better pictures with after market Camera Apps

Screen quality is just in the eye of the beholder. I played with an Epic for 20 minutes and compared it to my EVO and the colors seemed deeper and it did appear to be a nicer quality but like screen size I felt the difference was minimal at best. It wasn't like the difference between my old tube TV and my full HD LED TV.. it's more the difference between 1080p Plasma or 1080p LCD.. Their both great and they both have different people who claim one is better than the other....

:D Gorilla Glass :D I have to laugh good at that one.... Gorilla Glass is just a trademark name by Corning.... It's just tempered glass like the windshield of your car.... I have had my EVO since launch with no screen protector and no case... Not a single scratch on my phone... The edges of the phone have a couple of dings from going in and out of my pocket and resting in the cup holder of my car but nothing on the screen... If you think that Gorilla Glass is so awesome get a handful of sand and rub it around on the screen (and video it for us).... Sales and Marketing 101.... Build around a name.... Get people to buy the name not the actual product... Apple is KING at this these days... Those Apple freaks will buy any thing with their logo on it (not to say Apple makes a bad product, I have two iPods and used the iPhone for two years before switching to Android)..

Battery life? Root your phone and get better battery life... If gaming is that big a deal for you get the ugly Seidio 3500 mAh battery or a couple of spare stock batteries... I average 18 hours a day now with between 20 - 40% remaining and even before I rooted I put in the same 16 - 18 hours with 10 - 20% remaining...

If you were unhappy with a feature on the EVO (or any phone or product for that matter) fine you have every right in the world to make a switch.. Just make the switch and fade off into the distance.. No reason to go on an EVO board and tell us all your sob story of why you got rid of your EVO... Enjoy the Epic... I see nothing wrong with it...

First of all, my main thread said nothing negative about the evo. I was complimenting sense. I was asked to name the reasons why I switched.

Second, I do not buy a device based on what it can do when I hack it, I buy it for what it can do out of the box. I'm not gonna look at an issue and say "oh I just have to root it to fix it." That's like an iPhone owner saying he can customize his phone, download every app for free, and use facetime on 3g....he can't do those things out of the box. He has to jailbreak.

Gorilla glass is extremely strong. I had an evo. Had to put a screen protector on it because I was getting scratches. Also, it is much more durable from drops. Yeah, its a name. But there is quality behind that name. You think names aren't backed by quality? You are wrong.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
There is no such thing as an iPhone killer and let me tell you why:

The iPhone OS- it just WORKS. there are no force closes, there are no task killers, there are no needs for reboots. No mobile phone has touched Apple's OS in usability and stability. (I came to the Evo because I love customizing the heck out of my phones so it was the right choice for me...besides, widgets rock!)

Accessories- The iPod has become the standard of mp3 players all over the world. Almost every new car made today has an iPod jack. I used to be able to plug my iPhone into my iPod jack in my car and control the tracks from my steering wheel. Now, I have 6 feet of ugly Aux cable running from my car to my Evo. The only accessories I've seen so far for the Evo are cases and batteries. Everything else is generic. There are BOSE speaker systems devoted to the iPod.

Music player- iPod...enough said.

The Samsung Galaxy S series an iphone killer? hardly. They need to learn how to make a UI that comes close to Sense first BEFORE they even try and attempt at killing anything.

Like I said in a prior post my co worker has the Epic. I picked it up and looked at it "ooh pretty screen", I long pressed to add a widget, looked at the primitive selection options and handed it back to him.

Funny thing is I have 2 other friends at the office who also own Evos. Their reaction to the Epic was the same "nice screen...the rest is meh".

Hardware wise, it is just as comparable to the iPhone. You are speaking of software preferences, and I agree with you. Except I do not have the instability I had on evo here on epic. In fact, I have not seen anything crash at all.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
First of all, my main thread said nothing negative about the evo. I was complimenting sense. I was asked to name the reasons why I switched.

Second, I do not buy a device based on what it can do when I hack it, I buy it for what it can do out of the box. I'm not gonna look at an issue and say "oh I just have to root it to fix it." That's like an iPhone owner saying he can customize his phone, download every app for free, and use facetime on 3g....he can't do those things out of the box. He has to jailbreak.

Gorilla glass is extremely strong. I had an evo. Had to put a screen protector on it because I was getting scratches. Also, it is much more durable from drops. Yeah, its a name. But there is quality behind that name. You think names aren't backed by quality? You are wrong.

Never said you were bad mouthing the EVO. But if you have your mind made up why even start a "Got rid of my EVO.." thread? Just move on.... Don't go trolling for people to respond.. I wish they would instantly lock these threads right away... The only way they shouldn't is if you say "I am thinking of getting rid of my EVO because of blank and blank or blank any help?" then fine... But if you have made up your mind just move on.........

If your scratching up the EVO screen your doing something wrong... I even let my 7 and 5 year old play with and watch video on my EVO and it has not scratches at all. Like I said you think that "Gorilla Glass" is so strong rub some sand on it..... My EVO screen is crystal clear not a single scratch and I use it all day every day with no protection at all.... Buying a phone based on the Gorilla Glass name is like buying a car just because it has a Gorilla glass windshield.... The glass on the EVO is just as good as Gorilla Glass.. PERIOD.. keep thinking differently and you will always over pay for stuff just because of a fancy name attached to it.

Samsung just makes great displays period.... No one knows the long term build quality.... I know so far Samsung has not made a great phone... The jury is still out on the Galaxy S series... You might be back on here in 3 months biotching about the slide keyboard.......

YES, you shouldn't have to root to get what you want out of a phone... I rooted to dump all the Sprint Bloat ware.... We shouldn't have to have certain programs (NASCAR, NFL, SPRINT Navigation, Sprint Zone, etc) with no way of removing them if we never use them..... That is why I rooted.... I dumped all the junk but other than that my phone is mostly stock.... Rooted phones (IMO) is the way Android is read to be... Open source, customize and do what you want with your phone.....

Well enjoy your Epic.... I thought it was a decent phone and there are things I like about it but in the end I would never own a phone with a slide out keyboard (So far I have never met any one who has had great luck with slide out keyboards on every thing from LG to Palm phones) There are a few things that I like about the Epic... Heck my favorite phone was the Nexus One.. I just couldn't do T-Mobile... I would take a Sprint Nexus One over my EVO... It would be a close call but I felt it was the best of every thing Android.....

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

In your OP no you didn't say anything bashing the Evo but when you come to a Evo thread talking about how much better the Epic is what did you expect to happen? Your post probably would have went over better on the Epic thread. LOL...I'm curious as to where you were keeping your Evo to receive all these scratches? My Evo spends a whole lot of time in my purse with keys, combs change, hair pins and God only knows what else no protector no case had it since launch and not one scratch yet!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel