Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default To root or not to root

I am considering rooting my EVO. I have never done this to any of my previous phones and I don't even know where to begin. What are some advantages/disadvantages of rooting? Can the process be undone if I choose to? Does it void your warranty? What does the process entail? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here you go, these should help.

#1. http://forum.androidcentral.com/hack...ting-here.html Android Forums > Android Chat > Hacking
    Rooting FAQ's (please post all related questions and concerns about rooting in here)

#2. http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...2-windows.htmlAndroid Forums > HTC Android Devices > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 4G ROMs/Hacks
    [How to] Rooting HTC EVO Froyo 2.2 (Windows)

#3. http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...urn-stock.html Android Forums > HTC Android Devices > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 4G ROMs/Hacks
    [How To] Unroot and return to stock.
    Last edited by stoneworrior; 09-19-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Cleaning up my mess :(
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vaelpak 2.3 Ziggy Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by aewatsonsr77 View Post
    I am considering rooting my EVO. I have never done this to any of my previous phones and I don't even know where to begin. What are some advantages/disadvantages of rooting? Can the process be undone if I choose to? Does it void your warranty? What does the process entail? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Advantages:
    1. Free Wifi tether
    2. can run apps that can control the cpu frequency to save battery
    3. Can Remove Sprint Bloatware (nascar, nfl, sprint tv, etc)

Disadvantages:
    1. none I can think of

Yes, you can root and go back to stock when you want. If the Sprint repair center discovers you may be rooted they may or may not cover any damage done to the phone.

how do you root? search "How to root Evo 4G 2.2" on Google. lots of links.
    HTC Evo 4G running OTA 3.70.651.5 (Rooted) with Netarchy SBC Kernel 4.2.2
    Banned

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aewatsonsr77 View Post
    In the EVO Root Forum where all of your questions have been asked and answered on numerous occassions.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-roms-hacks/
    Thanked by:

I am waiting for the easy one click root, just so I can get rid of the bloatware.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I have a question related to some of the answers. Once you root, how do you uninstall some of the bloatware, such as NASCAR????
    1%er

I am waiting for a one step root to come out. I thought someone figured out a one step method a few weeks ago but now all I can find now is the multi-step process where you need to downgrade to 2.1.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenlperry View Post
    I have a question related to some of the answers. Once you root, how do you uninstall some of the bloatware, such as NASCAR????
    I've rooted in the past, and although I'm no expert, it seems the easiest way to get rid of Sprint apps is to load one of the custom ROMS where the dev has stripped out the Sprint apps for you.

There are some great links already posted to this thread, best start is to read those.

If you decide on a custom ROM, read the thread (xda-developers has alot of custom ROM threads in their EVO section) to learn
    a) what the rom is designed to do (some allow overclocking, etc)
    b) what experiences other users have had with loading the ROM. (There are a few that I avoided because other folks' experienced problems I wouldn't want to deal with.)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

I don't contribute to people that don't search and read. End of story.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    I don't contribute to people that don't search and read. End of story.
    First off no one asked you. This is not XDA where everyone gets hostile about this kind of crap. There is a polite way of nudging someone in the right direction, that is what I was trying to do. You have to ask yourself,

Is this person new to online forums?
    Are they new to the site?
    Can I help them without being an *** but let them do some of the legwork themselves?
    And most of all will what I post help or hurt the thread?

We are getting more and more new Android owners everyday and not all will be familiar with the accepted way of gathering knowledge about their new phone. So if you do not having anything of value to contribute, go away.
    Thanked by 2:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

All he had too do is go to the roms hacks section, I'm always ready to help people and do alot but I mean cmon. There's like 5 of these same threads gliding around with the same topic.

Oh and don't bother schooling me on forums lol. Besides we are big kids now.

That's all I have too say, I don't want an argument here.
    Last edited by igotsanevo4g; 09-19-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    ak

Wow I read the above comm and said that guy must be a californian. Sure enough user from SD.
    To all else thanks for the responses. They have been helpful. To you overrated Ca guy thanks for nothing! Again.

ROM
    UNleashed Z one/net4.3sbc

Quote Originally Posted by ak View Post
    Wow I read the above comm and said that guy must be a californian. Sure enough user from SD.
    To all else thanks for the responses. They have been helpful. To you overrated Ca guy thanks for nothing! Again.
    i cant help but lol. igotsanevo4g is very helpful....but that requires people to read instead of asking the same question thats been answered many of times...thats why forums have stickies....usually answers/helps the most asked questions

thats my 2 cents.

Default Just go for it! Root away :)

I did it the other day on my Evo 4G and it's awesome. It all depends on you and what your looking for. If you want to keep it as stock as possible but without the bloat and remove the Sense UI then use Vaelpak's ROM its clean and very good.

I installed and currently use CyanogenMOD 6.x because I wanted to be close to all Android and Google goodness than having Sprint's take on it. The good thing is you can switch to any rom for the Evo you like. Try em all and find one that works for you. You can always RUU and return to bone stock if needed and unroot. But why?? Have fun and root away!
    HTC Evo 4G

Twitter @billbrooksjr

I used unrevoked 3 and the one click method. Worked like a charm on my and my dads EVO.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

If you root to remove bloat, whatever you do do not just delete/uninstall it if you do this instead of freezing it you will never be able to get OTA updates on your phone unless you backed up the apk files and put them back and reset the correct UNIX permissions.

Easy solution, FREEZE the bloat, it keeps it from running and makes it invisible to your system. Titanium Backup Premium has this capability along with other features for about $6 as does my own app, Bloat Freezer which can also freeze apps that TB premium can't, for $1.49.

Freezing is simple, one click.

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7

I honestly am not trying to be mean, but i am dissapointed in the lack of members actually reading other forums. I recently posted on the subject in the Hacks section (where this post should be) and i suggest the OP reads it...or takes the advice of igotanevo4g if anyone knows what hes talking about its him
    I tweet too - @enzofall

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Only one problem with freezing apps intacipating ota's. Acceptiing any ota while rooted will make you lose root. Its better to wait for the ota to be rooted then flash. So it makes worrying about ota's a moot point. Besides the devs usually get those ota' s rooted quickly.
    As for rooting itself it has tons of advantages in access to root only apps that allow for more control over your phone. It also can extended the life of a device with roms that give os updates that carriers may not( just think the g1 with froyo). Now the down side is there is the potential to brick your device ( though that's ususally fixable). Hope that helps.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by Evo soul View Post
    Only one problem with freezing apps intacipating ota's. Acceptiing any ota while rooted will make you lose root. Its better to wait for the ota to be rooted then flash. So it makes worrying about ota's a moot point. Besides the devs usually get those ota' s rooted quickly.
    As for rooting itself it has tons of advantages in access to root only apps that allow for more control over your phone. It also can extended the life of a device with roms that give os updates that carriers may not( just think the g1 with froyo). Now the down side is there is the potential to brick your device ( though that's ususally fixable). Hope that helps.
    Absolutely correct. But with Unrevoked you can just accept the OTA, lose root, then flash a zip containing su and superuser.apk and then you have the new OTA rooted, without waiting, and without flashing a new (stock-rooted) rom and wiping your data. Not sure if this is possible without Unrevoked on non-HTC phones, but with it I will never lose root for more than 3-4 mins no matter what the OTA update does.

I see your point. However, This is creating healthy discussions. While I agree it may be in the wrong section I dissagree that the OP should not ask others their input and have a meaningful dialog

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bills_Evo4G; 01-14-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    HTC Evo 4G

Twitter @billbrooksjr

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by modplan View Post
    Absolutely correct. But with Unrevoked
    Well noted but I don't use unrevoked so this is news for me.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

props on this thread