Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sycing and Gmail?

Am I missing a setting option? I want to change the syncing intervala for each gmail account. Main account would "push" mail very frequent while other accounts would get pushes once an hour.

Recently, my other gmail accounts are only working through "manual sync".

Anything I'm doing wrong?

I believe that the problem that you are having is related to a bug in the Gmail application that is bundled with Froyo (2.2).

I think your only option right now is use the HTC mail client or on from the app market (K-9 gets good reviews) and use one of those for your other gmail accounts. This is assuming that you don't want your other accounts to forward to your primary Google account.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Wow....really? That is a problem! Froyo is cool and all but that is a huge problem from me.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saywut View Post
    Am I missing a setting option? I want to change the syncing intervala for each gmail account. Main account would "push" mail very frequent while other accounts would get pushes once an hour.

Recently, my other gmail accounts are only working through "manual sync".

Anything I'm doing wrong?
    I'm confused by this, are you using the gmail app for these accounts?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes, i found that the gmail app pushes mail faster than the HTC mail app.

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vaelpak 2.3 Ziggy Kernel

I understand what he's doing. He set up Gmail to fetch other pop3 e-mails like yahoo mail etc. The problem with this is if anyone sends you an e-mail directly to gMail the phone pushes to you instantly. Other pop3 fetches are not instant. Let me see if there is a Gmail setting to make pop3 fetches faster. I'll get back to you.

Edit: checked back in. I added my yahoo account to Gmail but I dont see any settings on how often Gmail should check my Yahoo account. Sorry.

Edit 2: the HTC Mail app will not PUSH unless you set up an account as a Exchange. Non-exchange accounts (POP3) fetch. You set how often they should check the server for new mail.
    Last edited by Trust; 09-20-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    HTC Evo 4G running OTA 3.70.651.5 (Rooted) with Netarchy SBC Kernel 4.2.2
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

I suggest you use fwds from your other accounts to your gmail account if that's at all possible.

Even better is to use gmail to host your other email (google apps) if at all possible.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    I understand what he's doing. He set up Gmail to fetch other pop3 e-mails like yahoo mail etc. The problem with this is if anyone sends you an e-mail directly to gMail the phone pushes to you instantly. Other pop3 fetches are not instant. Let me see if there is a Gmail setting to make pop3 fetches faster. I'll get back to you.

Edit: checked back in. I added my yahoo account to Gmail but I dont see any settings on how often Gmail should check my Yahoo account. Sorry.

Edit 2: the HTC Mail app will not PUSH unless you set up an account as a Exchange. Non-exchange accounts (POP3) fetch. You set how often they should check the server for new mail.
    NO...I have 3 GMAIL ACCOUNTS!

Part 1.
    1. 1st Email account syncs fine.
    2. 2nd and 3rd email accounts SYNC, but only when i go and refresh these particular accounts.

Before they all synced fine. Recently they just stopped auto-syncing.

Par 2.
    Secondly I was wonderng if there is a way to set the 2nd and 3rd accounts to check for new mail every 1 hr vs. every 15 minutes.

Sorry, for confusing anyone.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

To put it most simple. My second and third GMAIL accounts requires MANUAL refreshing to get the latest emails from those accounts.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

To put it most simple. My second and third GMAIL accounts requires MANUAL refreshing to get the latest emails from those accounts.
    Alright, just to verify, all 3 are in the gmail app and all three are google accounts.

IF they aren't syncing right then go to menu > settings > applications > all

select gmail

select force stop

select clear data

select clear cache

re-launch gmail, it will take some time to re-sync but after it's done you should be good to go.

That is what I presumed from the beginning. It still holds that since the Froyo update, the ability to have multiple Gmail accounts auto sync has been lost.

Here is a link to an article on the subject:
    Android Froyo Update Breaks Gmail Sync on HTC Evo | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

It's a bummer, but hopefully will get fixed soon. In the meantime, I refer back to my original suggestion of the HTC mail or K-9 mail client for the other 2 Gmail accounts.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by illwood View Post
    That is what I presumed from the beginning. It still holds that since the Froyo update, the ability to have multiple Gmail accounts auto sync has been lost.

Here is a link to an article on the subject:
    Android Froyo Update Breaks Gmail Sync on HTC Evo | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

It's a bummer, but hopefully will get fixed soon. In the meantime, I refer back to my original suggestion of the HTC mail or K-9 mail client for the other 2 Gmail accounts.
    That is really strange, I'm running a custom ROM but I had the official HTC froyo and a few gmail accounts that all sync'd fine.

OP I notice in the article it says it doesn't affect the majority of customers so this has to be some type of unique software combination. I would try a hard reset if it's not too bothersome. (thought first try clearing all data from the gmail app)

I only have one Gmail account so I don't experience the problem, but I have heard about it on several occasions.

I believe it even made the AC front page.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I am having the same problem as the OP; my primary gmail is working correctly and my 3 additional gmail accounts only work with a manual refresh. I am using the gmail app.

This is a new problem that has manifested in the past weeks time. I was of the country last week only using my phone via WiFi so I only noticed it upon my return on Sunday.

I have tried clearing the data and cache as recommended on page 1 but without success.

Any other recommendations?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by jschles View Post
    I am having the same problem as the OP; my primary gmail is working correctly and my 3 additional gmail accounts only work with a manual refresh. I am using the gmail app.

This is a new problem that has manifested in the past weeks time. I was of the country last week only using my phone via WiFi so I only noticed it upon my return on Sunday.

I have tried clearing the data and cache as recommended on page 1 but without success.

Any other recommendations?
    I went out of town too...Bahamas. And it happened when I got back. I trying to clear out as much data as possible to get this resolved.

This was happening to me. I logged into Google Talk and back out again. All my Gmail accts started syncing properly again and still do.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Did the new gmail update fix this problem?