DIY Red Ring Case Mod

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I started with a gel case but it would stick as I would slide it in my pocket so I upgraded to a hard case which eventually broke. Then I bought the leather holster and went naked later I dropped my phone. So I decided on getting Bodyguardz not wanting to go back to a case. However the drop left a red scratch on the actual body of the case. I saw another forum where a guy scratched off the entire ring. I already had a deep ugly scratch so I thought what the hell it cant look any worse. Tell me what you think.

RedRing.jpg

RedRing2.jpg

RedRing3.jpg

JulsAngel

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Looks Sharp.... i really like it the way the red ferrari looks now.... can you show us the front? I want to know if invisibleSHIELD is worth it...

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Getting the black off was a 2 step process. First I took a straight razor and carefully scraping the black coating off, not forgetting to put small pieces of paper in the ports to avoid them getting black dust in them. (Hint: Use soft strokes even if it feels like its taking longer to get the black off, this will save you time in step 2). After all the black material is off and the red has shown through take a 4-way nail buffer (Available at beauty salons or borrow one from your girl like I did) Start with #2 this will smooth out any chatter marks from the razor and will give the red a very dull feel, then use #3 and #4 to buff and polish the red to a shine. It took be about 2 hours total from start to finish. Although the pictures look like the red has scratches they were hairline scratches and have since been buffed and it really shines. I have been telling people that I see with an Evo that they should have waited for the Evo 2 and their jaw drops when I show them my phone...lol.

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Looks Sharp.... i really like it the way the red ferrari looks now.... can you show us the front? I want to know if invisibleSHIELD is worth it...

EvoFront.jpg

The screen protector is smooth to the touch, does not have a rubbery sticky feel like others I have tried. You barely know its there. It is also not very thin like the knock-offs from ebay.

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com
Personally I think the red looks terrible. The scratches on the red are so very obvious from those puctures. I wouldn't want my phone top look like it was physically scratched.

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think the red looks terrible. The scratches on the red are so very obvious from those puctures. I wouldn't want my phone top look like it was physically scratched.

Those scratches have since been buffed out. Its shinny red now. My "Hint" is to prevent this and making the buffing easier. Remember mine was already scratched due to a fall while naked, red was showing through already in the deep scratch, I had nothing to loose.

sparda07

Android Supporter
Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Nice i love the Red and black might try it myself not sure yet tho.
gotta check something out noticed some light leakage at the edge of the screen that goes away when i push down on the bottom of the screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc