New Keyboards

AdamC

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, it seems to be a pretty active couple weeks in the virtual keyboard land. Swype cuts off the beta many had been using, and now SwiftKey is coming out. I felt the change, as Swype and Swiftkey are the two keyboards I use. Anything else new or fun that is in open beta for me to try out? I'll be purchasing SwiftKey, and I guess looking for Swype, but is there anything else?

kidfaces

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You can download swype here

Edit by Phil: Please don't post links to Swype APKs. We respect Swype's business model and hope that everyone else does, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

kidfaces

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It would be remiss of me if I didn't mention that other posters in that swype thread were concerned about the size of the file (it went from like 2mb to 16mb), wondering if maybe it was some hacked version that someone concocted to steal your passwords, credit card numbers or YOUR SOUL. As it is not an official release it might be wise to switch to the stock keyboard if you were going to be entering any sensitive information. As it is I don't think a would be keylogger is interested in my texts about Rachel Zoe to by bestie or me asking my boyfriend if he wants anything from McDonalds (he does, he always does).

oh and that bug about it not working after you turn your phone off was on a previous version, the 1.61 I downloaded from that thread didn't do that on my phone.

I.R.R.V.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Noticed that as well so I uninstalled. Oh well I'll wait for the official one thinking about checking out that keyboard that was featured yesterday

Maven454

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
You can download swype here

Edit by Phil: Please don't post links to Swype APKs. We respect Swype's business model and hope that everyone else does, too.

I'd love to respect their business model. But since they won't let me buy a copy of the keyboard, I think their model sucks.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to respect their business model. But since they won't let me buy a copy of the keyboard, I think their model sucks.

+1

As an aside, op, have you tried slideIT? Free demo in the market. I like it almost as much as swype, and you can buy your very own copy.

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo on Hero action here!

Reactions: AnnDroid
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I may try slideIT because I am not on the swype beta and the version I had expired this morning.

Swype to me is social scope to BB......an app that never will come out of beta on older devices.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I may try slideIT because I am not on the swype beta and the version I had expired this morning.

Swype to me is social scope to BB......an app that never will come out of beta on older devices.

Yeah, and if swype can get their stuff installed from the factory on a fair about of phones then I doubt we'll ever see it in the market. SlideIT just needs some minor tweaking to be as good as swype.

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo on Hero action here!

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I was doing Swype.

I am now doing SwiftKey more and for me it is often faster now that it has learned how I write. With the predictive text it is almost scary how often it can predict my words. Plus SwiftKey integrates the new Voice Actions speach recognition that works amazingly well. So for a sentence like this, it is faster for me to just talk.

Swype not link to Voice Actions so you can't go back and forth between typing and talking. In 30 states you cannot type while you drive making Swype useless when you drive. And you shouldn't type while you drive anyway.

Last edited:

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It would be remiss of me if I didn't mention that other posters in that swype thread were concerned about the size of the file (it went from like 2mb to 16mb), wondering if maybe it was some hacked version that someone concocted to steal your passwords, credit card numbers or YOUR SOUL. As it is not an official release it might be wise to switch to the stock keyboard if you were going to be entering any sensitive information. As it is I don't think a would be keylogger is interested in my texts about Rachel Zoe to by bestie or me asking my boyfriend if he wants anything from McDonalds (he does, he always does).

oh and that bug about it not working after you turn your phone off was on a previous version, the 1.61 I downloaded from that thread didn't do that on my phone.

The reason it is so large is that it contains support for a large number of languages. If you open the file with WinZip you can see that individual language support files are each large (e.g., Swedidish.zdb.le is 967 KB).

I'll also be glad to see it officially made available.

Dave

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Smart Keyboard Pro is the best Evo keyboard I've tried. Love it. Like a better version of Swiftkey, IMO.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Smart Keyboard Pro is the best Evo keyboard I've tried. Love it. Like a better version of Swiftkey, IMO.

+1 for smart keyboard pro. I've tried a lot of the keyboards out there, and non can beat smart keyboard pro. Great cuztomization options, and very quick.

zumstin

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried Ultra Keyboard? It has a function that is just like Swype. I've been using it and it's pretty customizable. Also, you can set your camera to the background of the keyboard, so you can see where you are walking while you type. I personally don't use that, but it's a neat idea that I'm sure someone needs.