opening korean language

Plow565

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I purchased a EVO yesterday for my wife and weve run into a problem in that SMS messages we recieve in korean are jumbled messes. I do have a Korean keyboard installed from the market.

HTC Tech support told me korean is in fact installed on the phone, but they are not legally allowed to help me unlock it, because it involves rooting the phone. Could someone in the know give me step-by-step instructions (I'm really not techincally proficient at this) for how to unlock the Korean language for the phone.

I fully understand all the risks associated with this I've been forwarned. I want to know how to technically do it, so if your going to tell me what a bad idea it is, don't bother writing.

P.S. is there a way to back everything up so that if I do manage to brick the phone I can easily recover?

Thanks in Advance, Phil

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, Sprint does not support Unicode over SMS, which is why you can't use foreign language characters in texts.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Plow565, I have no problems with sending/receiving SMS messages in Korean from SprintAndroid-to-SprintAndroid phones.

I do have problems sending/receiving messages in Korean from other carriers. Verizon ignores those texts messages completely. AT&T it comes out all garbled. I would imagine if you have are receiving from other carriers (such as SK etc) it would be the same.

Hope that helps.

Is your problem with typing in Korean? Go to Menu-Settings-Language and you'll have to enable the keyboard there. When at an input box, press-and-hold the box to change the Input type to the korean keyboard.

Good luck.

dk152

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree with npark regarding unicode support for SMS. My experience is similar. SMS from ATT phones (iphone & Android phone) are garbled up. SMS from Verizon and Sprint Android phones works. I don't have a friend who uses T-Mobile smartphone to test with.

For Korean input, there is no native support from HTC (EVO) without rooting it. I use Kandroid keyboard to type in Korean characters. Just search it in Market.