Arg! My EVO is blacklisted :-(

Steve66

May 29, 2010
Visit site
So, I just tried sending an email from my EVO and it says my IP is blacklisted:
blacklistoutgoingemail.png

WTF?! Nothing has changed in my email setup in months and I haven't been doing anything strange with my EVO (i.e. no new apps that could be sending out spam). As the http://www.tiopan.com/blacklist.php site suggests, I did a...
nslookup 187.182.142.173.bl.tiopan.com
...and it returned an address of 127.0.0.2 -- according to that site, that means my phone's IP address is blacklisted.

Any ideas?

Steve

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So, I just tried sending an email from my EVO and it says my IP is blacklisted:
blacklistoutgoingemail.png

WTF?! Nothing has changed in my email setup in months and I haven't been doing anything strange with my EVO (i.e. no new apps that could be sending out spam). As the Tiopan Consulting - Blacklist site suggests, I did a...
nslookup 187.182.142.173.bl.tiopan.com
...and it returned an address of 127.0.0.2 -- according to that site, that means my phone's IP address is blacklisted.

Any ideas?

Steve

Does this happen on Wifi? - I'm a little confused by this, is Sprint using that service to match a blacklist of IPs and your handset is on it?

edit: Also, what email service are you using?

Steve66

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm using an IMAP-based email provided by my ISP, not a system that people would be familiar with. I've already contacted them. When I switch to WiFi, it works fine since that's a different outside IP connection to their SMTP server.

Steve

Steve66

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Can someone else with an EVO try the nslookup with their Sprint IP? I'm curious if it's just mine or also other Sprint IPs. Note the syntax for the nslookup command.

Steve

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Can someone else with an EVO try the nslookup with their Sprint IP? I'm curious if it's just mine or also other Sprint IPs. Note the syntax for the nslookup command.

Steve

I can't resolve my IP reversed at their bl address on my phone. I don't know if that means I'm not black listed or what.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Same, said address couldn't be resolved. I tried it with google and it gave me the same thing. Is their something wrong with my Syntax?

On their site it says you have to reverse the octets of your ip address, so if your ip address is 1.2.3.4 you have to grab it at 4.3.2.1.bl.tiopan.com/ - I think with what their doing that means our IPs aren't blacklisted.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
On their site it says you have to reverse the octets of your ip address, so if your ip address is 1.2.3.4 you have to grab it at 4.3.2.1.bl.tiopan.com/ - I think with what their doing that means our IPs aren't blacklisted.

I did that, at least I think I did. 123.456.789.123 becomes 123.789.456.123 right?
Unless they wanted 321.987.654.321? I should give it a try.

riste601

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thats correct , they want the number to just reverse in position:
$ host 174.145.170.129
129.170.145.174.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 174-145-170-129.pools.spcsdns.net.
$ host 129.170.145.174.bl.tiopan.com
Host 129.170.145.174.bl.tiopan.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

I checked a my IP and it came back ok, not 127.0.0.2, like the above. I also rebooted my phone and got a new IP and that one checked out ok too. So, you might want to try and reboot you phone to get a new IP and see if that will work as a work around until they unlist that IP from their blacklist.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
They could of blocked every sprint IP, I'm curious as to what he's connecting to that's using that service. He may be able to get an exception on whoever is hosting his email.

Looks like a specific IP block.
nslookup 186.182.142.173.bl.tiopan.com shows not blacklisted.
nslookup 187.182.142.173.bl.tiopan.com shows blacklisted.
nslookup 188.182.142.173.bl.tiopan.com shows not blacklisted.

They didn't block the entire Sprint PCS domain, just one IP. To the OP: you get a dynamic IP address from Sprint when you use data transfers over 3G. A previous user of the IP address that you got today used it for spamming, and the IP address got blocked. You had the bad luck to draw that IP address today, and as a result, you're trying to access an email server from a blocked address.

Contact the email service provider and explain that they're blocking a dynamic IP address which is now preventing legitimate users from using email. If you don't know how to contact them, try sending email (from a system that's not blocked) to abuse@tiopan.com. This is a standard email address often used by administrators to receive abuse complaints.

In the meantime, you have to wait until your phone releases that IP address and gets a new one. Maybe power cycle your cell radio to disconnect from the network and then reconnect, and hopefully you'll get a different IP address when you reconnect.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Not too much related but a few years ago at out work we had our IP address blacklisted as well. We were on a DSL line thru ATT (i think ATT) turns out someone else on a similar block using the same ISP was indeed spamming and the ISP blocked a block of them. Ours was in the mix. After several hours on the phone with the ISP we finally got assigned a new IP.
With these being dynamic IP addreses i bet the spammer used his phone as a hotspot or tethered and let the spam roll.

Steve66

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea why my specific Sprint IP was blocked, but my email provider fixed it by adding me to their whitelist. They also changed their firewall rules so they check the blacklist after the SMTP Auth process (I am authenticating to use their SMTP server, but they were checking their blacklist before the SMTP Auth...duh). All is well now.

Steve

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the Evo by the way.

If anyone is wondering, any normal webmail account (such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) would in no way have a similar symptom.