My Evo has replaced my point and shoot...

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yup I said it. Some people probably think I'm crazy, I may be, but after my awesome vacation to Puerto Rico last week, my Evo has officially replaced my point and shoot. I love electronics. I'll admit. I went on this vacation ready with my dedicated point and shoot (12mp Kodak) and my Kodak Zi8. Not the best of both categories, but still very good products and both in the class of products the average person will buy. I kept both Kodaks with my luggage for the flight. On the plane, and when we first arrived to PR I took a few pictures with my Evo. I was pretty impressed. But thought nothing of it... Got to the hotel nice and early, changed, hit the beach... There was my first dilemma... what do I take? Do I really want to go to the beach with my phone, camera and a pocket camcorder? Nah. So I left all but my Evo.. Again, started taking pictures. I was again pretty impressed. Went upstairs, changed again, then head off to Old San Juan. When it was time to leave I was yet again faced with a dilemma.. I brought all this stuff.. But do I really want to walk around for all these hours with my pockets filled with electronics? Having to constantly pull one out, put the other and so on and so on. Also, sitting in the bus would be annoying with all that stuff in my pockets... So.. I figured, what the hell. Lets try the Evo for a day. It was then that my Evo replaced my Kodak. It was great. Only had to carry one device around. It was also really easy to to send a quick picture to relative, friend, twitter or facebook. I also had the benefit of "720p" recording. True 720p recording? Meh. But still pretty good quality for what I needed. At the end of the day I already had almost 100 pictures. I uploaded them to my computer and I was pretty impressed. Would my 12mp Kodak have taken better pictures? Hell ya. No question about that. But the picture quality from the Evo was good enough that the convenience of not having to lug around a second, or even a third device was awesome. Then also the convenience of sharing whatever picture I wanted to at any moment was even better. Overall I took almost 500 pictures with my Evo. About 20 videos. Some 720, some 480. The 12mp Kodak p&s? 40. That's it. And all 40 were from the 2 lounges we went to (takes WAY better near no light pictures). Kodak Zi8? Only about 5 videos. Obviously both dedicated devices would have taken better quality pictures and videos, especially the Zi8. But it wasn't a question of quality. Like I said, the quality of the Evo's pictures were really good. It was convenience. I actually developed a bunch of the pictures and nobody can believe that they were taken from my phone. Granted, with a few of the pictures I had to tweak the settings, but I knew what I had to tweak so it only took a few seconds. And it didn't happen as often as I thought it would take. Here's about 20 pictures I pulled from my large collection. There not necessarily the best pictures, but most of my pictures were personal. There weren't that many pictures that didn't have me or my fiance. So these are what I would say are some of the best non personal pictures I can pull out of the collection. Thoughts, comments, feel free!! BUT for the love of God.. keep it civil. Yes I know there are phones that could have taken better pictures, but that's not the point of this thread so please no nonsense like we've seen in some recent threads....

(JetBlue is AWESOME)
IMAG0730.jpg

view from my room
1284993042885-1.jpg

1284999291465-1.jpg

Panoramic of the room
2010-09-20135243.jpg

It's not as blue as it seems. Even with the p&2 and Zi8 the black lights was messing with the sensor, not sure why
IMAG0752-1.jpg

1285010934942-1.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0011-1.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ben and Jerry's
IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

1285170876586.jpg

Taken with the front facing camera. Didn't want them to see me taking the picture. I thought it was funny that every night these guys would hang out in the same corner. Three different police municipalities and one random US National Guard strapped with a M16 lol..
IMAG0007-1.jpg

Keep in mind. When pictures are developed, they're usually not as big as they are shown here. They look much better when developed. They're by no means jaw dropping, but I think it's fair to say they're pretty nice pictures. As I stated before, yes I'm sure some other phones would have produced better pictures. And yes a dedicated camera would have taken MUCH better pictures... But again, that's not the point. As a matter of fact, if you're phone DOES take better pictures, then I think you too can replace your point and shoot...

Edit: Just for the record, basically all these pics were taken with the stock camera app, not vignette. I LOVE Vignette, but it takes way too long to process pictures, you cant focus on a specific thing (which can seriously affect quality), and also because it takes longer to process, I don't think my battery would have lasted a full day processing 100 pictures along with everything else I used the phone for..

Last edited:

c1971ace

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I would have to agree with the OP on this. I just went to Disney a little over a month ago and decided to just leave my camera (10MP Kodak) at home and give the EVO a shot. Most of the reason for doing that was because i just didn't feel like packing it and to have another device to be dragging around. I must say i was VERY impressed with the quality of the pics! Sure with almost 400 pics taken not all were going to be perfect but were highly comparable with what i would have taken with my Kodak. Everyone who has seen the pics still cant believe they were taken with a phone! Needless to say i haven't touched the digital camera since....

frankiepapa

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Great shots and great points...i have certainly found that the evo takes much better pictures outside and natural light and am blown away by some of the outdoor photos. inside and when i need to use the flash, those could be better but still not anything too bad that will require me to carry an additional camera

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Finally was able to get rid of my camera when I had my Pre and it was good and took the place of my camera , very nice photos but wow the EVO is awesome with photos.Whole nother level. They come out amazing.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
This is another example of "good enough" tech trumping a higher quality solution due to convenience and flexibility. With the right light conditions, there's practically no difference between my Canon P&S and my Evo. As light goes down, quality suffers, but my Canon wasn't a low light wonder either, so I was used to picking and choosing when to take pictures. But I have the Evo on me all the time -- my P&S is usually in a drawer unless we were going on a planned outing. So that convenience is simply unmatched. Then there's the Facebook integration, the wireless file transfer, and ability to edit the picture on the phone with Photoshop Express.

When we had our first child, I took pictures all day long and dutifully emailed them to my friends and family. But over time, my enthusiasm for taking pictures fell off a bit, but my zeal to offload them to the PC and email them just fell off a cliff. I would end up sending pictures every three or four months. People would get pictures of the kids in Halloween costumes in February. But now the pictures go up on Facebook literally seconds after they're taken. First day of school pictures were uploaded before class actually started. Birthday party shots online before the last guest leaves. Vacation pics available daily on Facebook. My mother-in-law couldn't be happier.

And the video quality is okay. The audio is another matter altogether. I use the 480p mode with the H.264 encoding and upload them to Youtube.

And yes, I tried out Vignette for a day and got a refund. It took too long to process the pics, they didn't show up in the album unless I waited for a while or rescanned the card, and the quality didn't really blow me away. The convenience of the stock software still can't be beat.

Not only has the Evo replaced my point and shoot, it's stopped me from bothering to upgrade it. Before I got the Evo, I spent quite a bit of time researching my next camera purchase. But now, it just doesn't make sense to plunk down $300-$400 for a piece of electronics that will most likely collect dust.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever find yourself handcuffed by the lack of an optical zoom?

We took the boat out on the river and I thought I'd try using the Evo as the primary camera since it was a bright, sunny day and light wouldn't be an issue.

I found there were many shots I couldn't get where even the 3X optical zoom on a lower end P&S would do the job. And being on a boat I couldn't just walk closer to whatever I was trying to shoot as I haven't yet figured out how to walk on water. :)

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever find yourself handcuffed by the lack of an optical zoom?

We took the boat out on the river and I thought I'd try using the Evo as the primary camera since it was a bright, sunny day and light wouldn't be an issue.

I found there were many shots I couldn't get where even the 3X optical zoom on a lower end P&S would do the job. And being on a boat I couldn't just walk closer to whatever I was trying to shoot as I haven't yet figured out how to walk on water. :)

You know I'm glad you mentioned that because I forgot to. There was definitely a few times where I wish I had proper zoom. As a matter fact, in the picture above inside the bunker, I tried talking a zoomed picture and while the quality was ok, I did find myself missing the optional zoom from a dedicated p&s. But despite that, I didn't regret leaving the p&s behind. As bad as I wished I had proper zoom, I still felt the convenience of just having one device was more important..

Lmao@ walking on water

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Very nice. I use my EVO more and my digital camera less and less.
I think the hardware on the EVO is good, they just need to refine the softare for the camera some more.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow .... sorry to go off topic but PR is beautiful!

It really is. You wouldn't believe what I paid for the hotel and flight package either. I wish I could have traveled the island more because there is so much more beautiful places than Old San Juan but I'm still recovering from my knee surgery :( The caves, El Yunque Rainforest, "Gilligan's Island", the Bioluminescent Bay (Google it).. man so many places that are seriously breathtaking. The best part is they're all free to go too! I'd strongly suggest going there for vacation. If you ever do I'll let you know where all the good places are lol. O and the food.... O_O

Last edited:

Jesse

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Those pictures take me back to my trip to Puerto Rico. I visited many of the same places you took pictures of. Nice to see them again.

What hotel did you stay at?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Those pictures take me back to my trip to Puerto Rico. I visited many of the same places you took pictures of. Nice to see them again.

What hotel did you stay at?

Lol I want to go back. The food, the 80 degree ocean water ahhhhh. I stayed at the San Juan Water and Beach Club in Isla Verde, Carolina. It's like 4 miles east from San Juan and literally less than a mile from the airport. I love that place.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38