Any PREgrets?

Jamboaz

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm right on the border of getting the Evo. I have had my Palm Pre for over a year and really like a lot about it. The lack of info from HPalm has me eyeing other devices, in particular the Evo. So I'd love to hear any pro's and con's from Pre owners. I'm going to also post this at precentral.net to get a balanced picture.

Things I know I will miss:
1. Swiping to delete and to close apps. There is just something satisfying about it.
2. Touchstone. I have two. They are just so handy and cool.
3. Multitasking in webos is very slick

Thanks for any and all objective feedback.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'll be honest, I never owned a Pre. I chose the Hero at the time over it and glad I did. But I will say that in the few times I had a chance to mess around with the Pre, it's no contest. The Evo outshines it in every possible way. They're entirely different os's so I'm sure they'll be a lot to get used to. But for the most part the Pre converts have been pretty happy...

Also, check these two threads out...
Get WebOS Multitasking
htc Evo vs Palm Pre

I.R.R.V.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Former pre owner. I miss the elegance of web-os, but I am getting used to the android platform fast. it has some differences but in the end I think I may end up liking it better. I won't miss the furnance the the Pre became if you used it to darn long...this evo is one sharp device...

hbwright

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I came from the Pre also. I could not wait until my upgrade to finally turn it over to my son to become his new camera and play toy. I was not longer receiving calls on it reliably and got so tired of sitting waiting for e-mails to come up for it to just quit responding. The pre was really getting old on me.

I am VERY happy with the Evo. Much faster and never get the dreaded too many cards open error when there is clearly nothing on my screen to swipe. And I don't miss the battery life, which was worse than my Evo.

I DID miss the swipe to close cards and to shift through apps but I have quickly gotten used to the Evo and its workings to where I no longer have to think about it.

If the Pre worked like it was supposed to I may miss it more because I really did like WebOS, I do not miss the Pre though. I have NO regrets at all.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I liked WebOS (bought my Pre within a couple of weeks of release), and there are a couple of things I miss about it, but the advantages of Android with a better app store, smoother scrolling, and most importantly an OS that I am comfortable will be around for the long haul far outweigh the things I miss. I also _LOVE_ the huge screen on my EVO.

I had owned and carried on a daily basis some sort of Palm device since I bought my Palm V on the day it was released in 1998 (or whenever it was) so it felt weird to change, but I have no plans to go back. I'll admit that if Palm/HP came out with a new device that was a major hit, their app store blossomed, and it looked like they'd be around for the future, I'd at least consider it, depending on what Android was offering. But I doubt WebOS will make such a comeback.

sparda07

Android Supporter
Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Nope no regrets here I used to own the pre had it hacked as well and it's nowhere near as nice as the evo and android...
Make the switch you won't regret it at all.

Sent from the evo collective via cybernetic implants

supchaka

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I had 3 Pre's in the family. I really liked Webos, mine was rooted, the other 2 were not. The multitasking was much better in Webos, alot of games on the Evo if u go to the home screen and come back, the game relaunches. Big plus for the Pre there. However, hardware-wise the Pre's were absolute garbage. Flimsy, the cases started cracking around all three phones USB plugs. The screens scratched very easily. I didnt have a screen protector on mine because I had a nice case with a soft inside, and it actually started wearing on the screen just from sliding it in in the case.

Oh and ALL 3 Pre's were replaced at one time or another for hardware malfunctions. So build-wise, the EVO wrecks them. And in pretty much every other category, except that darn multitasking.

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I had the Pre on launch day, kept it till I got the EVO, I don't miss it at all. WebOS has a lot of potential, a lot.. But, they really need to work on the hardware 1st.. I'm very happy with the Evo, no regrets at all.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Day 1 Pre Owner, even bought stock because I believed in it and had them forever (didn't sell at right time unfortunately).

I went Evo, switched to Epic, gave Evo to hubby (so I cruise this site to keep him to date). I actually like the Epic better, maybe a little more Pre like in my hand and I think a smoother phone overall.

The only thing I miss is swiping the card/program away. That is why I feel the Epic is closer with screen feel and colors. And this feeling went away in about 2 days. Also PreCentral, Android Central is fragmented by phone/carrier and less experienced users in learning curves. But I think the
feedback is awesome and getting better as we all learn from other platforms.

WebOS is nicer, but I got tired of hacking my phone to make it work, especially the speed. I moved up to UberKernel/Govnah and had it at 800 then 1.0, but began causing software problems. Then there were the blown speakers - I had 2 bad replacement phones in 1 week. That was the bottom line of my loyalty.

I love my Epic and Android - it comes with so many things standard that I downloaded, tweaked, doctored, etc. And the apps - and I mean useful, fun, ones - so many more and will be in the future.

Will I go back to Palm - probably not, I was patient, and I am hopeful, but I really think HP will catch up, but too many people like us just lost the loving feeling without anything from them.

Make the jump, check both phones out, you after your 48 hour adjustment period looking at a big screen, you won't be sorry.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I had a launch day pre and then switched to the EVO. No regrets at all, for me, android does everything that webos did. The EVO is the best smartphone I've owned. Would I consider WebOS in the future? maybe.

randompre21

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
former pre, Oddly enough, the pre has an Excellent market for gaming. Both official and Homebrew. That was the first thing i missed (funny how all people did was talk about how BAD the market was )

Anyways, got ps1 on the evo, still playing ffvii, haven't had the need for another game yet. Still loved the pre, and web/hp-os but i stopped missing it a while ago.

Still give much respect to the Pre Homebrew crowd. Anything you could ever want for your phone is available through them. And EASY installation. on, and off the phone.

Sadly for the pre, small things like the lack of a proper microphone became annoying. Best phone in the world, with no voice memos? stupid.

Still love the pre, Still keep a Pre in the Family, but yes I switched and couldn't be happier. ^_^

Hope they can get there stuff together though, the software is still one of the best but it won't last for long without more hardware. Lets see if they can make me switch back

PreGk

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
No regrets at all. Instead of installing patches and custom kernels just to make the pre functional for me, I'm spending time enjoying my EVO and the decision to root and change roms/kernels is purely for fun now. I'll admit, multitasking on the pre was a better visual experience, but I prefer my homepages with widgets, keeps me organized and more efficient. My pre sits in a drawer as a backup.

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Had a launch day Pre. It was very nice at 1st but after getting it repaired or replaced 6 times I ended up getting a Samsung Moment and giving that to my daughter. The wife and I both have EVO's and love them. I could NEVER go back to that small of a screen.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't miss my pre at all. I don't even miss the touchstone. I thought I would miss swiping cards and the whole card system.... but truth of the matter is that you just don't need the cards system with the EVO because it is just so much FASTER than the pre anyway.

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I miss only the multitasking. I don't miss the build quality or the need for half the usefull apps being in the home brew section. I love my evo and bought one for my wife as well.

Ripcode

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Former Pre owner here also.

The transition was not painless for me. The first week, I was almost ready to go back to the Pre. That or smash the EVO against a wall! :confused:

After two weeks it got better.

Now after many months, several updates and learning how everything works, I am very happy with my EVO and also with the Android OS. :D

nate14ri

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
no regrets here. the pre was AWFUL!!! webos was ok but no good apps what so ever. and the hardware was garbage!!!! the thing would crash all the time and typing on that keyboard was rediculous.

i still have my pre on my home desk next to my evo when I come home from work. I just laugh at it every time i see it compared to the evo. the screen is small as hell and the phone is plastic.

the only benefit is my pre car charger (and usb cord) works for the evo...wootz

XR4TI

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I loved the Pre, but I love the EVO more! IMO you will get used to the EVO quite fast. It is a far superior device. We will see what HP Palm will do next but for now I would enjoy the EVO. You will!

XR4TI

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
no regrets here. the pre was AWFUL!!! webos was ok but no good apps what so ever. and the hardware was garbage!!!! the thing would crash all the time and typing on that keyboard was rediculous.

i still have my pre on my home desk next to my evo when I come home from work. I just laugh at it every time i see it compared to the evo. the screen is small as hell and the phone is plastic.

the only benefit is my pre car charger (and usb cord) works for the evo...wootz

I'm looking back and I'm started to regret i just said I loved the Pre. The best thing I got from it was the car charger is now used for my EVO and my wife was excited about it. Happy wife happy life I guess.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I came from the Treo 755p. I waited for the next gen WebOS phone for too long and went with the Evo. I really like it. Now if I were buying today, I might wait the next few weeks to see if the WebOS 2.0 that is rumored is true. Android is going to be the preeminent mobile OS, but WebOS has some attractive features. With all the differing specs and manufacturers, there is a lot of fragmentation on Android. Choice is good. But, controlling the device and OS development like Apple and Palm does have its advantages. Easier for the developer and the consumer. Apple does it wrong by not rejecting the Jailbraking community, whereas, Palm/HP still embraces homebrewers.

With all that said, would I consider a WebOS phone in the future? Maybe, but I'm getting used to Android, and it just keeps getting better and better (especially with HTC and the EVO). So, Palm/HP would have to do something really special to take me off of this Android train.