kinda unique problem, please all

ernestpastran

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
ok first off I have read post on here and every where google sends me for this problem. It is very similar to most but not the same.

Ok I paid someone to flash and activate my evo to cricket, no big deal. This guy also flashed my sons and girlfriends evo. Everything works (except sprint hotspot), but that is not my problem. I hook up my phone to the computer and all of a sudden my phone doesn't give me the drop down screen (anymore), where I can choose to use as a sd card, only charge, sync, and use as internet for computer. I have gone and made sure that I select "ask me". I have tried it with the usb debugging on and off, neither work. Now I have tried everything from removing the battery and changing the sd card from another evo, and Changing the battery. I have done it all. Now I connect my sons evo to the computer and the screen comes up on his evo giving him the option, same thing for my girlfriends evo. So its not the computer or the plug. I have rebooted and I have unistalled every app I put on the phone, and nothing. Then finally I have done a full restore to factory settings. And the problem still occurs. I am at my wits end. The guy that flashed it for me wants to charge me another $60 to flash and he can not give me a guarantee that I will be able to get the option back. My evo reads the sd card so its not that error. And the screen doesnt come up for 2 seconds and go away, so its not that problem. Please if your a mod, and I did something wrong by asking this question, let me know.

I can get to the drop down screen through connect to computer, but no matter which one I choose, all it does is charge my phone. I don't get beep from the computer like I do with the 2 other evos, but it does charge my evo. So you see its unique. I sat and read a post that was 26 pages and I thought someone figured it out, but no one did. The phone still works and I can still install apps, but I can not tether or download anything to my phone from my computer, or sync.

The only thing I think I found was I had task killer and I must have told it to not autostart the thing I need for the drop down screen to appear. BUT how would I undo it? I uninstalled all the apps including this one, and when I add it back, I think its too late. Someone help me please. If you need to know which rom I have and other info, please tell me how to obtain that info.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It seems like something went wrong in the flashing process if the other two phones work just fine and yours doesn't. Tell the guy you weren't fully satisfied with his services and that he needs to fix it. Other than that, the only idea that I have is take the sd card out, use an adapter and put the content you want on the card that way. Good luck with this. I hope you are able to fix your problem.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
We don't support flashing of phones, but, your situation isn't about that so it's fine. Anyone got any tips for this guy?

Let me add:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to do with it being flashed, just probably a setting or something interfering.

Last edited:

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
My guess is the 3 phones where flashed at different times..

so.. there might be different versions of the ROM/OS on the 3 phones.

Yours is a version that has an issue with that feature. I may need to be flashed with a newer version or and older version (that has this feature working).

you might want to ask the person that did this for you. He/she might know that the version is bad or has others that have the same issue and know a fix.

ernestpastran

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
ok, just to clarify, all 3 evos were done at the same time with the same rom and all were working fine and 2 still work fine. Mine has everything working except the window drop down screen.

I have put the sd card in another evo and downloaded music and videos to it and then put it back into my phone, so I have music and videos. BUT the problem is I am a video dj and sometimes someone ask for a song I don't have or even heard of and I want to be able to tether my phone so I can download it to my computer so I can play it. I know the phone has youtube and I could use the headphone jack to play the audio, but to switch out the cables to play the video will be a problem. Anyways we are getting off the subject. I would proudly pay another $60 to have it "fixed" but if the $60 isn't guarantied then I can't see myself paying for something and getting nothing. You guys are right, the flashing part is not the problem, the computer is not the problem, the sd cardis not the problem, and the cord is not a problem, it has to be something I switched off. Some sort of setting. Thanks again for all the positive responses.

Last thing, the phone use to do the drop down thing, it just stopped one day. I think when I was using advanced task killer. Only thing I can think of. I must have stopped the auto sync or some other important function. I use to be able to tether it, but now I can't. The hotspot sees my computer and my computer sees the hotspot, and they connect, but when I try and use the internet I can't get any pages to come up. Maybe its a proxy or something. My ipod can see it and connects too, but it won't access the internet. This is not the reason for this post, just adding more info. If I got this to work though, I wouldn't need to usb tether, I could use the hotspot function. As far as the sd card, I could manually put contents on it using a sd reader. Oh and I have no reason to sync, even though I do have it installed on my computers.

I called the guy who flashed it or rooted it, and he said, that it worked when he sold it to me, because that's the only way to flash it or root it, is by hooking it to a computer. So it was something I did, not the rom, because the other two phones are fine. I would hate to take my sons evo and give him this one and say too bad!!!!

Last edited:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The phone isn't detecting that it's plugged into a PC, so my guess is that the USB jack on the phone is damaged. Specifically, one or both of the data contacts. This would explain why you can charge but can't connect to the computer.

ernestpastran

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
is there anyway of testing this out? If thats the case is it fixable, or is the phone stuck this way? This was the only thing I could think of, but the whole task killer thing gave me some hope. I appreciate everyone, and if more people think of other things please let me know. I am still searching threads and other forums to find a definite answer. If I just stopped and said it was the usb outlet on my phone, and it wasn't I would be sick if in a year from now, someone found the solution.

Last edited:

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
ok..

if there is NO hardware issue...
and it was something you did...

boot into recovery
do a nandroid backup
do a wipe on..
data
davick cache
reboot!

this will hopefully rest all the settings...
you will loose all data and settings and applications..
it will look like it did.. when he first gave your phone back to you after his Flashing.

hopefully .. it will be back to normal and all will be good.

unless it is a hardware issue!

good thing is.. if it dont fix it.. you can restore the nandroid and be back exactly where you were before (hopefully)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance