Q: How to repair a cracked Evo screen

mmhhc

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I cracked my Evo screen today. It has cracks in the lower left corner, starting beneath the home button and spreading about an inch and a half up into the main part of the screen. The phone appears to work fine...thank goodness for that!

What are the options for fixing the glass? I saw one post mention that a Sprint store could replace the glass for $120. Do they provide this service? Are there other options?

Thanks,
Marc

mmhhc

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
To complete the discussion, my local Sprint store said they can replace the glass only (not the LCD) for $119 but are not responsible if the phone becomes inoperable during the repair process.

Like 007, they have license to kill....

supchaka

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
To complete the discussion, my local Sprint store said they can replace the glass only (not the LCD) for $119 but are not responsible if the phone becomes inoperable during the repair process.

Like 007, they have license to kill....

LOL sounds like something sprint would say. Imagine if the dealer said that when you brought your car in for service!

mmhhc

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Update and good news! I found a place called UD Repairs (http://udrepairs.com) that fixed the screen for $130. And unlike Sprint, they did not waive liability. The phone has worked perfectly since the replacement. I would recommend calling them if your phone is damaged, esp. if you are in the Chicagoland area.

Last edited:

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
i replaced the glass myself.

you need a small phillips, a T5 torx, and a heatgun (or hairdryer and more patience). you also need glue to glue the new screen into place.

mdrharris

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Updated service and repair

Guys, I am actually a Sprint Sales Consultant in a service and repair corporate store. As of October 24th, if you have TEP insurance protection with Sprint on your line, broken screens are replaced free of charge. Also, if you don't have insurance, they can replace the screen for $35. Go in to your closest Sprint Repair center and check it out!

gabedonna

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
mdrharris speaks the truth. i was quoted 35.00 to replace screen with no insurance. this was saturday 30th at a sprint store in corpus christi, texas.
i didnt get any further details.

jann7889

May 8, 2011
Visit site
LOL sounds like something sprint would say. Imagine if the dealer said that when you brought your car in for service!
MDHarris,

I just saw your quote and my screen shattered last night. I went to the sprint service center today and was told that they would not replace it. Are there only certain stores that will, or is there something else I need to do? Thanks for any information you have.

bridic

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
it has something to do with the amount and lengths of cracks. Not for sure why because a broken screen is a broken screen. It is truly up to the tech to determine if the cracked screen qualifies. The fee is $35 + tax.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The policy on cracked screens changed again in February. They are no longer covered. Official Sprint documentation now says "up to 2 cracks less than an inch long."

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The policy on cracked screens changed again in February. They are no longer covered. Official Sprint documentation now says "up to 2 cracks less than an inch long."

So 2 cracks less than an inch long are considered acceptable and wont be replaced or that is the maximum damage allowed for a replacement?

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
2 cracks less than an inch are allowed on a phone that is returned to Sprint through an exchange or service work. More than that, it's physical damage and is an insurance issue.

Ex. You walk in with a phone that's having touchscreen problems. Screen has a tiny scratch/crack. No problem, replacement ordered.

Ex 2. Your phone is having touchscreen problems and the screen is cracked like a spider web. Call insurance and pay $100.

Reactions: uh60james

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

This is basically up to the tech repairing your phone.

The service center that quoted you $120 to repair your phone is going off the old price.

I replace broken EVO screens all the time.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
My bluetooth went out on my pristine day one EVO (been in a hard case since day 1) and took it to my local Sprint service center to get fixed. They replaced the BT module but it still had connection issues (tried 3 different BT's but problems persisted). So I took it back and they said we'll get you a new phone. 3 days later it came in and of coarse it was refurbished with problems. The bottom right of the screen was lifting up and the USB/Charging port looked as if it went through a warzone. Before leaving the store, they said that they will replace the screen as it might break after awhile.

3 days later again, they called saying the screen was in so I went to have it replaced. It took them 20 minutes so I was late getting home so I just grabbed it and said thanks and went on my merry way. Upon getting home, the moron who did the work broke the plastic housing around screen in 3 places (cracks from top to bottom near the power button, bottom left corner, and volume buttons), gauged all 4 corners up from prying, and...scratched the "new" screen. I was livid to say the least.

I took it back the next day and they gladly replaced it with another "refurb". This phone works but the plastic housing around the screen was painted...with ya know...rustoleum! It has the orange peel look in places with dirt specs in different places which are quite visible like they didn't wipe it down before this superb paint job. The emblems that signify the headphone jack, USB, and hdmi are also sprayed on but I guess the person had cateracts as they are way off center making it look even more like junk.

I don't know about you, but I think that if you buy a new product with money out of pocket and is still under the manufacturers warranty and can be fixed, the product should be fixed and given back in the same condition as before. If it can't be fixed, then it should be replaced with a NEW product, not these refurbished junked up crap they try to pawn off on you. This practice these carriers engage in should be illegal, period. Especially under this circumstance. Ordering from TEP is hit and miss...it might be new or refurbished and that's even more of a hassel.

I know there is a number or email I can complain too....anyone know it off hand?

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about you, but I think that if you buy a new product with money out of pocket and is still under the manufacturers warranty and can be fixed, the product should be fixed and given back in the same condition as before. If it can't be fixed, then it should be replaced with a NEW product, not these refurbished junked up crap they try to pawn off on you. This practice these carriers engage in should be illegal, period. Especially under this circumstance. Ordering from TEP is hit and miss...it might be new or refurbished and that's even more of a hassel.

Sprint does not honor any sort of manufacturer's warranty. They operate a service and repair center. I understand your frustration, but you have another route to take if you aren't happy with the service center you are using. You can call the manufacturer and start a warranty claim with them. Or, find another service center. Unfortunately, not all S&R centers are the same. Perhaps there's a better one in your city.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Sprint does not honor any sort of manufacturer's warranty. They operate a service and repair center. I understand your frustration, but you have another route to take if you aren't happy with the service center you are using. You can call the manufacturer and start a warranty claim with them. Or, find another service center. Unfortunately, not all S&R centers are the same. Perhaps there's a better one in your city.

It shouldn't matter. Sprint "buys" the phone from HTC then sells them to us. They should honor the manufacturers warranty for that duration. Buy a new phone for 199.99 on a 2 year contract but the manu. warranty is only 1 year, then that 1 year should be honored in store. The second year it's up to you to take care of problems....that's why there's TEP.

Look at it like this, car dealers are mostly independently owned but honor the manufacturers warranty for a set period of time. I'm sure there would be backlash if you bought a new 2011 hummer and the LCD for the radio, GPS, and A/C went out after 6 months and they replaced it with a second hand refurb with scratches on the screen and the button lettering is worn off. People would be screaming bloody murder!! It should be no different with cell phones.

Who refurbs these anyways, HTC or Sprint? Besides, the S&R center I took it too is the closest to me, like 5 miles away. The nearest besides them is 50 miles away and I'm sure they are no different. And thanks for the reply!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance