Frustrated with lag of my EVO

jcorcione

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I HAVE had my EVO for about 2 to 3 months now. I'm extremely happy with my phone HOWEVER, I am extremely frustrated with the huge lag on going from app to app or sliding from tile to tile. What's the deal? Why such a slow response or input lag. I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this? Running 2.2 official download from.HTC.and Sprint.

sent from my HTC EVO

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Does it only happen with 4G on? To test, turn off 4G and power down the phone, then turn back on. I have the same problem when 4G is on. There's a couple threads about it on this forum.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
menu, settings, system updates, htc software update. Hit that and see if you have an update. The lag was because of the 30fps cap, and that has been removed with the newest update.

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Check what build number you are at. Setting, About phone, Software information. The latest update is build number 3.29.651.5. If you want to test if the cap was removed download Fps2D. You should get an average score of around 54.

If you have this and still have lag check your Availabe space. Settings, SD & phone storage, and you should see it there.

If you have plenty of memory then a reboot (turn of, turn on) is all you need.

I noticed a lot of lag and it was cause my internal memory was getting pretty low in the 50 MBs give or take. I had 101 apps and was definitely not using them so I uninstalled a bunch. I'm at 69 apps and around 120 MBs and it's running much smoother. This is with all the apps that can be moved to the SD card by the way. Even with that they still take up a little space on the internal ROM. I can probably That 1 GB is only 340-350 MBs of free space on a fresh EVO so that gets used up really fast. I've taken the advice that if I haven't used it in a month it's not worth having. Don't download apps "just in case". Download an app because you need it. And if anything, other than games, it's quick to DL and install. That being said I can probably uninstall even more unnecessary apps.

kyoon19

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a lot of apps and my phone does not lag at all. 30fps makes a big difference and that is why I rooted my phone as soon as I bought it. Also, use app2sd tosave internal memory.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
or, check
menu>settings>display>animations
"none, some, all"
this CAN slow down the phone performance, visually. (it's basically just the frills of experience between apps, screens, windows, etc)--doesn't really change the overall experience of the phone, though.
just one more thing to change to "none" if you want a little faster UI

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
As Bodar stated in the 3rd message in this thread, is your 4G on when your phone is lagging? If so, shut off 4G and reboot the phone. There is a thread about the phone being very laggy with 4G turned on for some.

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a lot of apps and my phone does not lag at all. 30fps makes a big difference and that is why I rooted my phone as soon as I bought it. Also, use app2sd tosave internal memory.

You can have a lot of small apps and it doesn't take as much space as less but larger apps. What matters is available internal memory.

jcorcione

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
hey sorry guys i haven't been posting lately been bz. i should use the tapatalk notifications more i am going to try several of the tweaks mentioned on this post.. will let you guys know whats up. thanks for all the participation on this. I don't think i can root with 2.2 downloaded from the official sprint downloads site.

I have 251mb available memory on phone
I have 6.74gb available of 8gb on my sd card.

I have the latest build on my evo

Last edited:

jcorcione

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
hey sorry guys i haven't been posting lately been bz. i should use the tapatalk notifications more i am going to try several of the tweaks mentioned on this post.. will let you guys know whats up. thanks for all the participation on this. I don't think i can root with 2.2 downloaded from the official sprint downloads site.

I have 251mb available memory on phone
I have 6.74gb available of 8gb on my sd card.

I have the latest build on my evo

Downloaded FPS2D FPS Avg 51 stdev=9.85
Set animations to none.
Still have 4g on
39 total aps downloaded (i think)

phillysdon04

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded task manager today and it did the trick for me. I know some people say that you don't need it but I will test it out once again.