Screen Locked While Charging

nightwing1115

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I have just gotten my Evo and noticed that while charging the screen stays locked. Is there a way to change this? I also have a pin code setup to unlock the screen if that matters any. I love this phone and wish there was the option like on my wife's Hero to have a different pick on the lock screen, seems odd that was changed on the Evo.:cool:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have just gotten my Evo and noticed that while charging the screen stays locked. Is there a way to change this?

Not sure what you mean by "stays locked"? Meaning you have no way to access your home screen (and the 6 others) while charging? Meaning the screen turns off after a given amount of time such as 30 seconds and locks?

If you want the screen to stay on at all times while charging its Menu > settings > Applications > Development > check mark stay awake.

If you want the screen to just not lock (require a pin code) while charging but the screen to shut off, I don't think that's possible.

If you want to extend the amount of time the phone takes to lock (require a pin code) its Menu > settings > security > Lock phone after. changing this will change the lock time while the phone is charging or not charging.

I love this phone and wish there was the option like on my wife's Hero to have a different pick on the lock screen, seems odd that was changed on the Evo.:cool:

This may not be a Hero EVO thing as much as it is an eclair froyo thing. If I recall correctly, when i had Eclair on my EVO this worked fine. It was when Froyo was introduced that it disappeared. Also i just verified with a friend who has the DINC that when on 2.1 he had that option as well and it disappeared with 2.2

Reactions: nightwing1115

INDROIDWETRUST

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
You can use an application from the market called no lock. You can use it to disable the lock screen. It's free and useful when you don't want the phones screen to lock.

nightwing1115

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by "stays locked"? Meaning you have no way to access your home screen (and the 6 others) while charging? Meaning the screen turns off after a given amount of time such as 30 seconds and locks?

If you want the screen to stay on at all times while charging its Menu > settings > Applications > Development > check mark stay awake.

If you want the screen to just not lock (require a pin code) while charging but the screen to shut off, I don't think that's possible.

If you want to extend the amount of time the phone takes to lock (require a pin code) its Menu > settings > security > Lock phone after. changing this will change the lock time while the phone is charging or not charging.

This may not be a Hero EVO thing as much as it is an eclair froyo thing. If I recall correctly, when i had Eclair on my EVO this worked fine. It was when Froyo was introduced that it disappeared. Also i just verified with a friend who has the DINC that when on 2.1 he had that option as well and it disappeared with 2.2
My screen won't do anything while it's charging, can't slide to unlock or type in pin code. It just stays locked until I unplug it from the charger.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My screen won't do anything while it's charging, can't slide to unlock or type in pin code. It just stays locked until I unplug it from the charger.

Well there is no stock setting to make it do what your experiencing unfortunately so there's no magic box to go check or un-check. What will likely happen is when you go to or call Sprint they are going to make you do a factory reset. Before that happens I'd like to make some suggestions.

Try these 1 by 1, don't just do them all at the same time cause if it helps you won't know which fixed it.

1) Try a different cable, just to eliminate you're current cable from having a grounding issue.
2) Remove any lock pattern or codes you have in Menu>Settings>Security. Plug the phone in and see if this helped at all.
3) Uninstall all of your applications you've downloaded. You can just go into the market and uninstall them. Write down the names of the free ones you have so you can download them again at a later time. All your paid ones will stay put in the market attached to your name. Plug the phone in and see if this helped at all.
4) If you've done all of the above and it still didn't help, beat Sprint to the punch and try a factory reset. This is going to wipe out your data (contacts etc). Menu > Settings > SD and Phone Storage > Factory Reset.

That's all i can think of. if someone else has something feel free to chime in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante