Is it possible to turn off the Cell Radio and have the WiFi or BT radios on?

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Airplane Mode turns off all of the transmitting radios. There have been times that I have wanted to turn off the Cell Radio and just use the WiFi or Blue Tooth Radios. Is there a setting for this?

Examples of these situations:
a) In a location with horrible cell reception and I would like to listen to on device music or downloaded podcasts via my BT headset/earpiece. Keeping the cell radio on sucks the battery dry.
b) On an airplane with WiFi. Cell off but WiFi on would be nice.
c) Traveling overseas. WiFi on and keep the Cell off to avoid any unintended connections.

Thanks in advance for your input.

sraatc17

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
just tried it on my evo ... just turn on airplane mode, and then turn on the radio you want on. I used the widget on my home screen and turned on my wifi radio and it turned on and connected, but my cell radio was still off (the airplane on the notification bar instead of my cell signal). I'm assuming the same would work for BT

Reactions: Brainerd

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
just tried it on my evo ... just turn on airplane mode, and then turn on the radio you want on. I used the widget on my home screen and turned on my wifi radio and it turned on and connected, but my cell radio was still off (the airplane on the notification bar instead of my cell signal). I'm assuming the same would work for BT

Son-of-a-gun. I tried it with the widgets and, yes, the WiFi is available. However, Blue Tooth is not.

I'm guessing the best thing for me to do would be to send HTC an e-mail asking for this capability to a added to a future OTA.

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I do this all the time (I listen to music via my BT headset on the plane during my commute). Go get the "Network" app from the Market. Among the things you can do with that is shut off the cellular radio only, leaving the others alone ( unlike "Airplane Mode").

Reactions: Brainerd

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I do this all the time (I listen to music via my BT headset on the plane during my commute). Go get the "Network" app from the Market. Among the things you can do with that is shut off the cellular radio only, leaving the others alone ( unlike "Airplane Mode").

That is a good find! Thanks

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Thanks a bunch.

Could you post a link to it at Appbrain and/or post who was the developer? For some reason, I'm having a hard time finding it on my EVO.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
you already have a widget that turns off the mobile network. No need for an additional app.

Go into your widgets and there should be one called mobile network. It might be under the settings widgets.

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Settings >> Wireless and Networks. Then turn off mobile network.
Not the same thing. He needs to shut off the entire cellular radio. You wouldn't want to just shut down Mobile Data when on an airplane; the radio would still be active and looking for a cellular signal that barely exists so you'd be draining your battery the length of the flight.

Mikethaler

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is it possible to turn off the Cell Radio and have the WiFi o

Airplane Mode turns off all of the transmitting radios. There have been times that I have wanted to turn off the Cell Radio and just use the WiFi or Blue Tooth Radios. Is there a setting for this?

Examples of these situations:
a) In a location with horrible cell reception and I would like to listen to on device music or downloaded podcasts via my BT headset/earpiece. Keeping the cell radio on sucks the battery dry.
b) On an airplane with WiFi. Cell off but WiFi on would be nice.
c) Traveling overseas. WiFi on and keep the Cell off to avoid any unintended connections.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I found this 2 year old thread. Did you find some method that works? I am interested in your "C" solution if you got one. It was easy to do on Blackberrys.

Thanks.

...mike

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is it possible to turn off the Cell Radio and have the WiFi o

I found this 2 year old thread. Did you find some method that works? I am interested in your "C" solution if you got one. It was easy to do on Blackberrys.

Thanks.

...mike

Yes, turn Airplane mode on, then go back into settings and turn the Wifi back on. Your cellular radios are now off but Wifi is functional. Only prob with this is the bluetooth won't work. I assume this is where the 'Network' app mentioned above comes in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08