720p video skips on EVO

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
All my recorded videos seem to skip on my Evo during playback, usually a couple times here and there. They also skip when playing them on my PC after I have copied them to it. Any ideas?

I also noticed the format is 3GPP on my SD card and my desktop. I thought it was MPEG4?

Update : Fixed.. Figured out that the Auto "Flicker Adjustment" does not work to well. Set it to 60hz under the settings and choppy playback is gone.

Last edited:

maxima2k53

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
All my recorded videos seem to skip on my Evo during playback, usually a couple times here and there. They also skip when playing them on my PC after I have copied them to it. Any ideas?

I also noticed the format is 3GPP on my SD card and my desktop. I thought it was MPEG4?

Update : Fixed.. Figured out that the Auto "Flicker Adjustment" does not work to well. Set it to 60hz under the settings and choppy playback is gone.

lol i had that problem weeks ago, i just messed with the setting and i changed the flicker thing to 60 and it was gone

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
lol i had that problem weeks ago, i just messed with the setting and i changed the flicker thing to 60 and it was gone

Yeah I was stumped for awhile, and starting reading many forums. Found that after Froyo upgrade the "Auto" feature stopped working correctly. Changing to 60hz fixed the issue entirely.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Maybe spoke to soon.. I took a few videos today and still had skipping, though they weren't as bad. It was still there.. So I took off auto focus to see if that helps.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm doing a number of tests, and different videos in different places to see what causes it. I took two tonight in my house, and neither video had one skip.

wadester

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
When I replaced my stock 8GB Class 2 SD card and replaced it with a 16GB Class 6, the 720p recordings stopped skipping for me. It made sense that the write speed wasn't fast enough for the high resolution.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
When I replaced my stock 8GB Class 2 SD card and replaced it with a 16GB Class 6, the 720p recordings stopped skipping for me. It made sense that the write speed wasn't fast enough for the high resolution.

Yeah i'm going to order me a 16gb Class 6 card.

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

You beat me to it, lol

People with HD video recording need at least class 4 cards minimum
to keep up with the necessary write speed of HD video.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Same here. It USED to skip until I got a 16gb CLASS 4, the class 6 was too much $ for me. :cool:

Jamboaz

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
It drives me crazy that HTC includes a feature you really can't use properly. The skipping is a big problem, surely they would have figured that people would complain. Oh wait, HTC, like many other manufacturers, continue to put in paltry batteries that can barely make it thru the day. Grrr....

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
It only skips for me on some videos, depending on enviroment. Only the video skips, the audio never skips. Still it's occasional, so for me I will live with it. Considering I don't make a lot of videos in 720p.

Jamboaz

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and since it appears I'll have to spring for a larger micro card, what manufacturers have people successfully used with their EVO's?

Jamboaz

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I ran a series of test shooting the same scene, starting static and then panning right. The 720p is noticeably the cleanest looking video but any setting lower, either in size or encoding, produces smoother motion. You lose size and quality, but the motion is much smoother. The 720p produces several artifacts in my test. First is a general skipping of the video, so instead of 30 fps, you get more like 20fps. This is noticeable most of the time. Then you get the large skips, where it pauses for several frames and then skips. Finally, I get video aberrations, where the encoding gets whacky and the image distorts. This is the rarest occurrence.

ToddPsyD

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I ran a series of test shooting the same scene, starting static and then panning right. The 720p is noticeably the cleanest looking video but any setting lower, either in size or encoding, produces smoother motion. You lose size and quality, but the motion is much smoother. The 720p produces several artifacts in my test. First is a general skipping of the video, so instead of 30 fps, you get more like 20fps. This is noticeable most of the time. Then you get the large skips, where it pauses for several frames and then skips. Finally, I get video aberrations, where the encoding gets whacky and the image distorts. This is the rarest occurrence.

So, is your thinking that a higher class micro sd card will take care of these issues you noted in your testing?

add309

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
ummm yeah i had this problem really bad UNTIL the last htc software update, after that theres no skip at all, so have you updated?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital