Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Default 720p video skips on EVO

All my recorded videos seem to skip on my Evo during playback, usually a couple times here and there. They also skip when playing them on my PC after I have copied them to it. Any ideas?

I also noticed the format is 3GPP on my SD card and my desktop. I thought it was MPEG4?

Update : Fixed.. Figured out that the Auto "Flicker Adjustment" does not work to well. Set it to 60hz under the settings and choppy playback is gone.
    Last edited by splmonster; 10-07-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    All my recorded videos seem to skip on my Evo during playback, usually a couple times here and there. They also skip when playing them on my PC after I have copied them to it. Any ideas?

I also noticed the format is 3GPP on my SD card and my desktop. I thought it was MPEG4?

Update : Fixed.. Figured out that the Auto "Flicker Adjustment" does not work to well. Set it to 60hz under the settings and choppy playback is gone.
    lol i had that problem weeks ago, i just messed with the setting and i changed the flicker thing to 60 and it was gone
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    lol i had that problem weeks ago, i just messed with the setting and i changed the flicker thing to 60 and it was gone
    Yeah I was stumped for awhile, and starting reading many forums. Found that after Froyo upgrade the "Auto" feature stopped working correctly. Changing to 60hz fixed the issue entirely.

how do you do this change? What settings is this in exactly? Thanks!

edit: Nevermind I found it, it was in the actual camcorder setting
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Maybe spoke to soon.. I took a few videos today and still had skipping, though they weren't as bad. It was still there.. So I took off auto focus to see if that helps.

Mine hasn't skipped since

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Mine still skips! I haven't tried it on another device.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

I'm doing a number of tests, and different videos in different places to see what causes it. I took two tonight in my house, and neither video had one skip.

When I replaced my stock 8GB Class 2 SD card and replaced it with a 16GB Class 6, the 720p recordings stopped skipping for me. It made sense that the write speed wasn't fast enough for the high resolution.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    When I replaced my stock 8GB Class 2 SD card and replaced it with a 16GB Class 6, the 720p recordings stopped skipping for me. It made sense that the write speed wasn't fast enough for the high resolution.
    Yeah i'm going to order me a 16gb Class 6 card.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

Exclamation

You beat me to it, lol

People with HD video recording need at least class 4 cards minimum
    to keep up with the necessary write speed of HD video.

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts
    ROM
    clean rom ics

Same here. It USED to skip until I got a 16gb CLASS 4, the class 6 was too much $ for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then sky driving is not for you.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

It drives me crazy that HTC includes a feature you really can't use properly. The skipping is a big problem, surely they would have figured that people would complain. Oh wait, HTC, like many other manufacturers, continue to put in paltry batteries that can barely make it thru the day. Grrr....
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

It only skips for me on some videos, depending on enviroment. Only the video skips, the audio never skips. Still it's occasional, so for me I will live with it. Considering I don't make a lot of videos in 720p.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Oh, and since it appears I'll have to spring for a larger micro card, what manufacturers have people successfully used with their EVO's?

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I ran a series of test shooting the same scene, starting static and then panning right. The 720p is noticeably the cleanest looking video but any setting lower, either in size or encoding, produces smoother motion. You lose size and quality, but the motion is much smoother. The 720p produces several artifacts in my test. First is a general skipping of the video, so instead of 30 fps, you get more like 20fps. This is noticeable most of the time. Then you get the large skips, where it pauses for several frames and then skips. Finally, I get video aberrations, where the encoding gets whacky and the image distorts. This is the rarest occurrence.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jamboaz View Post
    I ran a series of test shooting the same scene, starting static and then panning right. The 720p is noticeably the cleanest looking video but any setting lower, either in size or encoding, produces smoother motion. You lose size and quality, but the motion is much smoother. The 720p produces several artifacts in my test. First is a general skipping of the video, so instead of 30 fps, you get more like 20fps. This is noticeable most of the time. Then you get the large skips, where it pauses for several frames and then skips. Finally, I get video aberrations, where the encoding gets whacky and the image distorts. This is the rarest occurrence.
    So, is your thinking that a higher class micro sd card will take care of these issues you noted in your testing?

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

ummm yeah i had this problem really bad UNTIL the last htc software update, after that theres no skip at all, so have you updated?

I have a 16gb class 2 card and I have no issues with recording or playback. Everything plays back nice and smooth