1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Question Question about using gps in italy

Ok guys, I am going to Italy next week and renting a car. I know I cant use my phone, but from what I understand I can use the GPS anywhere as long as I have a PRELOADED map app. I was considering Mapdroyd. I just wondered if anyone knows if that app will do what I need and if you know of any better. Thanks in advance

Google maps won't work in Italy?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SanGo View Post
    Google maps won't work in Italy?
    Actually no, because it uses the sprint network to download the map itself so your gps can use it. Thats why if you are in a bad area, it takes so long to get a square at a time. It has to be a map that you can load directly to your SD card so you can access it from there. Since sprint doesnt work anywhere but HERE, I'm trying to find the best one without spending a fortune.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

That's the pain with CDMA, the US is really the only country that uses it. The phone also uses AGPS, so it still needs a cell signal to help acquire the sats. It may not work as a standalone GPS, even with the maps preloaded.
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

Have you looked at CoPilot Live for Europe?

It's $80 but that's a lot less than I paid for my Garmin nuvi and Europe maps.

While the EVO does have assisted GPS (a-GPS), I think it also has full GPS capability - at least I could get GPS while in airplane mode.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jmusic36 View Post
    Actually no, because it uses the sprint network to download the map itself so your gps can use it. Thats why if you are in a bad area, it takes so long to get a square at a time. It has to be a map that you can load directly to your SD card so you can access it from there. Since sprint doesnt work anywhere but HERE, I'm trying to find the best one without spending a fortune.
    That's interesting, I had no idea.