Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Forum rules

Why is it we can hardly talk about swype and there are stickies all over the forum for free wifi tethering witch also violate the terms and service agreements of the phones they are being used on?

Seems somewhat selective to me....

Did I misread the forum rules or something?

You can talk about it.just not post links to apks...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by seraphemz View Post
    You can talk about it.just not post links to apks...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. And AC and other forums have received letters from Swype asking them to remove links to APK's. Maybe Sprint and the other carriers have bigger fish to fry and haven't done the same. Plus I haven't really seen any links to APK's for tethering apps because they are available in the market. If swype was available in the market I'm sure swype wouldn't care if we told people to go search the market for it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have seen lots of closed posts that have no links or apks.

Quote Originally Posted by dekcufi View Post
    Why is it we can hardly talk about swype and there are stickies all over the forum for free wifi tethering witch also violate the terms and service agreements of the phones they are being used on?

Seems somewhat selective to me....

Did I misread the forum rules or something?
    Swype is not a product that's open to distribution outside of their agreed methods, manufacturer direct. Wireless tether is a publicly available, open source project which is distributed both through the market and also direct from the authors Google code page.

Feel free to talk about Swype all you want, just follow the rules of the site such as not using this website to distribute illegal software

And It's not just us. Go over to XDA and post a link to Swype and watch what happens.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have seen lots of closed posts that have no links or apks.
    Even suggesting where to get it will get you in trouble. Or asking where to get it. We're talking about it now and a MOD commented and didn't close the thread. That's proof enough that we can talk about it, just not ask or say where to get it.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Swype is not a product that's open to distribution outside of their agreed methods, manufacturer direct. Wireless tether is a publicly available, open source project which is distributed both through the market and also direct from the authors Google code page.

Feel free to talk about Swype all you want, just follow the rules of the site such as not using this website to distribute illegal software

And It's not just us. Go over to XDA and post a link to Swype and watch what happens.
    that might be, but isn't not paying for wireless tether violating an agreement with your carrier?

I own a legal copy of swype, and I personally believe that the fair use act allows me to use this software on my evo with out being a beta tester. I have emailed swype and they have yet to respond to me as to my inquiry into using this on another device in this manner.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

that might be, but isn't not paying for wireless tether violating an agreement with your carrier?

I own a legal copy of swype, and I personally believe that the fair use act allows me to use this software on my evo with out being a beta tester. I have emailed swype and they have yet to respond to me as to my inquiry into using this on another device in this manner.
    you are allowed to do whatever you want with your devices. nobody is restricting what you do on your personal time but the problem here is that since swype is closed beta, it is allowing access to a limited audience. if you want swype go find it, we can't stop you and it doesn't bother us. the problem is when people discuss it on a public forum (like this one) and post apk's or links to apk's. The swype developer's want who they allow to use their application and we must follow their wishes.

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    ROM
    Warm Z 2.2

The first rule of Swype Club is you do not talk about Swype Club.

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts

Most likely yes, but it's not illegal. There is a big difference between violating your carrier's TOS agreement and breaking the law. Distributing copies of Swype (and some other apks) is illegal, that's why they aren't allowed to be posted here. If tethering was illegal, then discussing it here wouldn't be allowed and Google wouldn't allow those apps to be on the Market or on their dev site.

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    if you want swype go find it
    Thanks Brett. Can you suggest a link?

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

Quote Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
    Thanks Brett. Can you suggest a link?
    And this is why I have to close these types of threads. Despite multiple warnings in this thread this is what always happens.

Later,
    Dave

Thread closed!