Just got Evo lots of questions need help!

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Well i have done a good amount of research and went with this phone. Got it today from radio shack. Here are my questions:

Which insurance would you go with, sprint is 7 a month plus 100 deductible and that covers stolen or lost phones. Radio shack is 125 for 2 year warrenty the lady said everything is covered with no deductible but i need to make sure its for stolen and lost ones too. Which one would you guys go with?

My awake time is 1 hour 46 minutes and the up time is 6 hours and 06 minutes my question is why isnt the phone sleeping? The only thing i have installed is spareparts.

Also if i go to battery usage the android system is 94% i have barely used this thing today, sent out maybe 50 texts, went on facebook twice and downloaded 1 app. I have wifi off, 3g off, mobile data off, background data off, no BT, just wondering why its like this, i currently have around 70% battery life with 6 hours being unplugged.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just give your battery time to adjust, as for awake time, check your apps.

I don't even have insurance so, you can't go wrong I guess lol

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Well i have done a good amount of research and went with this phone. Got it today from radio shack. Here are my questions:

Which insurance would you go with, sprint is 7 a month plus 100 deductible and that covers stolen or lost phones. Radio shack is 125 for 2 year warrenty the lady said everything is covered with no deductible but i need to make sure its for stolen and lost ones too. Which one would you guys go with?

My awake time is 1 hour 46 minutes and the up time is 6 hours and 06 minutes my question is why isnt the phone sleeping? The only thing i have installed is spareparts.

Also if i go to battery usage the android system is 94% i have barely used this thing today, sent out maybe 50 texts, went on facebook twice and downloaded 1 app. I have wifi off, 3g off, mobile data off, background data off, no BT, just wondering why its like this, i currently have around 70% battery life with 6 hours being unplugged.

Android system @ 94% means nothing but the android system was draining your battery which means your phone was idle a long *** time.

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

if i go to running applications it shows

Android system 1.6 mb
VpnServiceBinder 8:55 sec
Htc DM 4.3mb
Htc DMService 1:01:08
Google Services Framwork 7.6mb
Google Messaging service 1:26:58
Htc IQAgent 2.5mb
Agent Service 1:38:48
Voicemail 6.2MB
CM_Service 1:35:24
Touch Input 13mb
Touch Input 2:22:32

Phone has been unplugged for 6 hours and 45 minutes with 64% battery life left...

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Android system @ 94% means nothing but the android system was draining your battery which means your phone was idle a long *** time.

what do you mean that that my phone was idle a long time and its draining the battery? Do you mean the android system is draining the battery because its not at idle? I just got it today, only went on FB 2-3 times, sent 50 texts and downloaded spare parts thats it.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
if i go to running applications it shows

Android system 1.6 mb
VpnServiceBinder 8:55 sec
Htc DM 4.3mb
Htc DMService 1:01:08
Google Services Framwork 7.6mb
Google Messaging service 1:26:58
Htc IQAgent 2.5mb
Agent Service 1:38:48
Voicemail 6.2MB
CM_Service 1:35:24
Touch Input 13mb
Touch Input 2:22:32

Phone has been unplugged for 6 hours and 45 minutes with 64% battery life left...

Please don't get caught up in the "Windows" mindset and actually understand how Android Operating System works. Running Apps will NOT drain your battery unless they are doing the following:

1. Using the CPU
2. Using 3G data
3. Using the GPS feature of the phone
4. Not letting your screen turn off
5. dialing phone numbers.

A running app in Android just means it is sitting there waiting in case you need it. When an app is idle long enough the operating system will kill the process and take back the memory it's using.

P.S. Memory being used by an app does not use battery either.

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Please don't get caught up in the "Windows" mindset and actually understand how Android Operating System works. Running Apps will NOT drain your battery unless they are doing the following:

1. Using the CPU
2. Using 3G data
3. Using the GPS feature of the phone
4. Not letting your screen turn off
5. dialing phone numbers.

A running app in Android just means it is sitting there waiting in case you need it. When an app is idle long enough the operating system will kill the process and take back the memory it's using.

P.S. Memory being used by an app does not use battery either.

Ok so how do i see if the cpu is using those apps? How do most people have a 50% or lower android system? Sorry for so many questions just tryin to learn.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok so how do i see if the cpu is using those apps? How do most people have a 50% or lower android system? Sorry for so many questions just tryin to learn.

I had the same questions. They are not dumb questions at all. This is how it works.

Having the phone turned on drains the battery. There is no item/feature in the battery use to describe this. Other items listed play a part in the battery drain. The larger the % is of a specific item the more it has drained the battery during the day but not necessarily drained it FASTER. Here are some examples of some of the items you see in the "battery use" section:

-Android System: this is the actual Phone's operating system. If this doesn't run your phone won't work at all. The only time this will show at 80% or higher use is when no OTHER app/feature is actually using battery. The phone is just sitting there doing nothing.

-Dialer: This is the actual "phone" part of the phone. If you talk on the phone the battery % goes up..when you havent talked for a while the % goes back down

-Bluetooth: this shows you what % of the battery the bluetooth system is draining. Example: if you talk for an hour on your bluetooth headset that will make the dialer AND the bluetooth % in the battery use section go up.

-Display: the higher this % is the longer your screen has been on and hence helping to drain the battery.

-Wifi: just like bluetooth. the higher the % is the more your wifi has been having an impact on the battery.

Understand this. the battery is always 100% draining... this 100% drain is divided up by apps/features that are actually using your battery.

In my case I Was playing Bistro cook for 30minutes so my display is at 14%, Bistro cook -5%. so the game running with the screen on contributed 19% of my total battery drain.

Hope this makes sense to you?

Last edited:

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
ok let me see if i got this correct. The more i use the android market or android system the % goes down? The more i keep the phone idle the percent goes up?

or is the more i use Bluetooth , Display , Dialer, Etf it will bring the android system down because it need to equal 100%?

also why would my time spent without sleeping be at 2:32:20 and up time at 7:42:00 I see lots of people having 2:32 time without sleep but thats with having a uptime of 40:25

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter if you bring down the android system % ... ?

Bottom line is, if you want better battery, wait a few days and break your battery in and if its still not good enough, read up on the topic and root. I get 20 hours a day on certain set ups with pretty heavy usage.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
ok let me see if i got this correct. The more i use the android market or android system the % goes down? The more i keep the phone idle the percent goes up?

or is the more i use Bluetooth , Display , Dialer, Etf it will bring the android system down because it need to equal 100%?

also why would my time spent without sleeping be at 2:32:20 and up time at 7:42:00 I see lots of people having 2:32 time without sleep but thats with having a uptime of 40:25

Let me explain in another way. Let's say your battery is 100 hot dogs. If only Android system was around to eat it would eat 100 hot dogs until there were no hot dogs left (dead battery 0%).

If Android system, Display, Wifi and Bluetooth are around those 100 hotdogs are going to be divided among them. Display may eat 14 of them, wifi may eat 12, bluetooth 20 and finally Android would eat whatever is left over. Those 4 together would total 100 hotdogs.

Regarding your uptime question: The less you use the phone, the longer the battery lasts. no one can use their phone regularly for 40 hours. I get barely 12 hours out of mine from light-moderate use. This is why I keep a charger at work, in my car and at home. These phones need alot of juice to power the big screen and grab data from the internet.

Reactions: acedanger

KeithBlaX07

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site

Haha no... I think you're missing one key point: the battery usage displays each item's contribution to the battery drain since the phone has been unplugged from a charger. So if "Android system" shows 70%, that does not mean it has drained that much of your battery... it means that since you unplugged from a charging source, the android system has accounted for 70% of the battery usage.

I. E. If you still have 80% battery left, the android system accounts for 70% of the 20% that has been used. Make sense?

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Haha no... I think you're missing one key point: the battery usage displays each item's contribution to the battery drain since the phone has been unplugged from a charger. So if "Android system" shows 70%, that does not mean it has drained that much of your battery... it means that since you unplugged from a charging source, the android system has accounted for 70% of the battery usage.

I. E. If you still have 80% battery left, the android system accounts for 70% of the 20% that has been used. Make sense?

What he said ^^^^^ I'm tired I can't quite word it like that at this time.

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Let me explain in another way. Let's say your battery is 100 hot dogs. If only Android system was around to eat it would eat 100 hot dogs until there were no hot dogs left (dead battery 0%).

If Android system, Display, Wifi and Bluetooth are around those 100 hotdogs are going to be divided among them. Display may eat 14 of them, wifi may eat 12, bluetooth 20 and finally Android would eat whatever is left over. Those 4 together would total 100 hotdogs.

Regarding your uptime question: The less you use the phone, the longer the battery lasts. no one can use their phone regularly for 40 hours. I get barely 12 hours out of mine from light-moderate use. This is why I keep a charger at work, in my car and at home. These phones need alot of juice to power the big screen and grab data from the internet.

yes i get what your sayin now, thank you! So i shouldnt worry about awake time on the phone either? So far i got 16 hours of being unplugged thats with about 50 texts, 10-15 mins browsing, downloading 1 app...then putting it in airplane mode for the night and im still at 50%.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
yes i get what your sayin now, thank you! So i shouldnt worry about awake time on the phone either? So far i got 16 hours of being unplugged thats with about 50 texts, 10-15 mins browsing, downloading 1 app...then putting it in airplane mode for the night and im still at 50%.

why Airplane mode? calls won't come through if Airplane mode is turned on.

Just use your phone like a normal human being and expect to charge it at least once/day. I have mine on the charger sometimes 2-3 times a day because I can't seem to put the phone down lol.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Well then your doing great I had to root my phone in order to get that kind of battery life, but on the other hand I am a very very heavy user!;)

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
why Airplane mode? calls won't come through if Airplane mode is turned on.

Just use your phone like a normal human being and expect to charge it at least once/day. I have mine on the charger sometimes 2-3 times a day because I can't seem to put the phone down lol.

I put it in airplane mode because instead of turning it off i figured i would just turn it on that...i usually sleep with my phone on silent anyways. Didnt wanna turn it off wanted to see how long it would last!

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
This is what a typical day is like for me and my Evo.

-Drive to work I'm streaming news over 3G to my car speakers
-At work Im streaming Pandora over 3G to my bluetooth headphones.
-Meanwhile, Im receving work e-mails left/right.

By the time lunch rolls around my battery is at 42% from all the activity

-continue streaming music until quitting time
-stream news radio on the way home..

I will walk in the door at 20% battery if not lower at times depending on how often I was reading news sites on my break.