Just got Evo lots of questions need help!
Well i have done a good amount of research and went with this phone. Got it today from radio shack. Here are my questions:
Which insurance would you go with, sprint is 7 a month plus 100 deductible and that covers stolen or lost phones. Radio shack is 125 for 2 year warrenty the lady said everything is covered with no deductible but i need to make sure its for stolen and lost ones too. Which one would you guys go with?
My awake time is 1 hour 46 minutes and the up time is 6 hours and 06 minutes my question is why isnt the phone sleeping? The only thing i have installed is spareparts.
Also if i go to battery usage the android system is 94% i have barely used this thing today, sent out maybe 50 texts, went on facebook twice and downloaded 1 app. I have wifi off, 3g off, mobile data off, background data off, no BT, just wondering why its like this, i currently have around 70% battery life with 6 hours being unplugged.
- 10-13-2010, 01:18 AM #2
- 10-13-2010, 01:19 AM #3
- 10-13-2010, 01:29 AM #4
Android system 1.6 mb
VpnServiceBinder 8:55 sec
Htc DM 4.3mb
Htc DMService 1:01:08
Google Services Framwork 7.6mb
Google Messaging service 1:26:58
Htc IQAgent 2.5mb
Agent Service 1:38:48
Touch Input 13mb
Touch Input 2:22:32
Phone has been unplugged for 6 hours and 45 minutes with 64% battery life left...
- 10-13-2010, 01:39 AM #7
1. Using the CPU
2. Using 3G data
3. Using the GPS feature of the phone
4. Not letting your screen turn off
5. dialing phone numbers.
A running app in Android just means it is sitting there waiting in case you need it. When an app is idle long enough the operating system will kill the process and take back the memory it's using.
P.S. Memory being used by an app does not use battery either.
- 10-13-2010, 01:50 AM #9
Having the phone turned on drains the battery. There is no item/feature in the battery use to describe this. Other items listed play a part in the battery drain. The larger the % is of a specific item the more it has drained the battery during the day but not necessarily drained it FASTER. Here are some examples of some of the items you see in the "battery use" section:
-Android System: this is the actual Phone's operating system. If this doesn't run your phone won't work at all. The only time this will show at 80% or higher use is when no OTHER app/feature is actually using battery. The phone is just sitting there doing nothing.
-Dialer: This is the actual "phone" part of the phone. If you talk on the phone the battery % goes up..when you havent talked for a while the % goes back down
-Bluetooth: this shows you what % of the battery the bluetooth system is draining. Example: if you talk for an hour on your bluetooth headset that will make the dialer AND the bluetooth % in the battery use section go up.
-Display: the higher this % is the longer your screen has been on and hence helping to drain the battery.
-Wifi: just like bluetooth. the higher the % is the more your wifi has been having an impact on the battery.
Understand this. the battery is always 100% draining... this 100% drain is divided up by apps/features that are actually using your battery.
In my case I Was playing Bistro cook for 30minutes so my display is at 14%, Bistro cook -5%. so the game running with the screen on contributed 19% of my total battery drain.
Hope this makes sense to you?
ok let me see if i got this correct. The more i use the android market or android system the % goes down? The more i keep the phone idle the percent goes up?
or is the more i use Bluetooth , Display , Dialer, Etf it will bring the android system down because it need to equal 100%?
also why would my time spent without sleeping be at 2:32:20 and up time at 7:42:00 I see lots of people having 2:32 time without sleep but thats with having a uptime of 40:25
- 10-13-2010, 02:24 AM #11
It doesn't matter if you bring down the android system % ... ?
Bottom line is, if you want better battery, wait a few days and break your battery in and if its still not good enough, read up on the topic and root. I get 20 hours a day on certain set ups with pretty heavy usage.
- 10-13-2010, 02:25 AM #12
If Android system, Display, Wifi and Bluetooth are around those 100 hotdogs are going to be divided among them. Display may eat 14 of them, wifi may eat 12, bluetooth 20 and finally Android would eat whatever is left over. Those 4 together would total 100 hotdogs.
Regarding your uptime question: The less you use the phone, the longer the battery lasts. no one can use their phone regularly for 40 hours. I get barely 12 hours out of mine from light-moderate use. This is why I keep a charger at work, in my car and at home. These phones need alot of juice to power the big screen and grab data from the internet.
- 10-13-2010, 02:36 AM #13
- 14 Posts
I. E. If you still have 80% battery left, the android system accounts for 70% of the 20% that has been used. Make sense?
- 10-13-2010, 02:38 AM #14
- 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM #16
- 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM #17
- 10-13-2010, 12:42 PM #19
- 10-13-2010, 12:51 PM #20
This is what a typical day is like for me and my Evo.
-Drive to work I'm streaming news over 3G to my car speakers
-At work Im streaming Pandora over 3G to my bluetooth headphones.
-Meanwhile, Im receving work e-mails left/right.
By the time lunch rolls around my battery is at 42% from all the activity
-continue streaming music until quitting time
-stream news radio on the way home..
I will walk in the door at 20% battery if not lower at times depending on how often I was reading news sites on my break.
- 10-13-2010, 01:41 PM #21
- 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM #22
- 10-16-2010, 12:15 AM #23
New EVO owner with some questions myself
A new EVO owner here. Some questions to which I can't seem to find the answers...
1. When sending texts, Emails, etc., do I have to press the "123" key to switch to the 123 mode from the ABC mode in order to use symbols like "!", "?", "@", etc.? This is a real pain in the @ss.
2. How do I forward an SMS msg to another SMS recipient?
3. Is there a notification light, like there was on the BlackBerrys, to let me know when I got a new Email or SMS/MMS message? I realize I can have notification sounds for these, but this isn't always practical, like when the phone's charging on my night stand while I sleep.
4. For some odd reason, there is an old Email sitting in my main Email box. I have deleted that God knows how many times, yet every time new Emails come in, that dang, old Email is there right along with them. It's at the bottom of the in box as an old, read Email. I delete it--again--and it reappears when a new Email arrives, usually within minutes. (I even deleted this Email from my Email account's server, but that didn't work.) Anyone have any ideas?
5. I disabled the screen lock feature that requires me to scroll down to unlock the screen when it comes out of sleep mode, but I'm still being required to scroll down to unlock. Did I not do something right?
6. Is there an autotext feature where I can add words to a dictionary so that when I type, say a specific 3- or 4- or 5-letter "abbreviation," the full word or words will then be magically typed? For example, when I wanted "Blackhawks" to appear on my Tour, I typed "bhawks" because I entered this setting into my Tour's Autotext dictionary. I'd type "wsox" to get "White Sox" to appear, etc.
I think that's all the immediate questions I have. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
- 10-21-2010, 09:44 AM #24
- 10-21-2010, 11:49 AM #25
- 90 Posts
If you've read the fine print and the Radio Shack girl is correct then clearly their insurance is a better deal. As for purchasing, are you clumsy or not?