Home screen dilemma

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
So here I am. I've got an Evo, blah blah. 7 home screens, blah blah. And I'm only using 2 and a half screens. I have 4.5 home screens going completely to waste.

does anyone have any suggestions to use them up?

hbwright

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Calendar widget, calculator, music, facebook, power settings, app folders you can categorize makes it easier to find rather than using the app button, favorites (contacts) screen or bar, internet bookmarks, gosh, there are tons of ways to make it all yours.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Calendar widget, calculator, music, facebook, power settings, app folders you can categorize makes it easier to find rather than using the app button, favorites (contacts) screen or bar, internet bookmarks, gosh, there are tons of ways to make it all yours.
Half those things you mentioned are the first things I find useless and remove when I got the thing, though..

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You can download another launcher, like Launcher Pro, and can set the number of home screens, for as few as one if you like. However, you cannot use the widgets from HTC Sense.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
So here I am. I've got an Evo, blah blah. 7 home screens, blah blah. And I'm only using 2 and a half screens. I have 4.5 home screens going completely to waste.

does anyone have any suggestions to use them up?

welcome to my World. I started using Launcher Pro for a while because of that because you can remove screens you don't use but heres a list of widgets you can use to fill up the void:

1. Full screen HTC Music widget (iPod like controls to control your mp3s playback)
2. Full screen HTC Calendar widget (This one is cool because you can view the entire month in 1 shot)
3. Friendstream Widget (Facebook/Twitter)
4. Full screen HTC Mail widget (I use this to view my work exchange e-mails at a glance)
5. full screen HTC News widget (RSS reader)

that's 5 screens + 1 screen for your clock and apps you use most and 1 screen devoted to switches that turn stuff on/off like wifi,bluetooth etc and there you have it.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've found over the last 4 months that as you go along you'll realize what you really want on your screens and set them up in way you use ur phone.....took a month for me to figure out what I wanted and have been changing it every since.....but I use all the screens now

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I had the same dilemma as well. I have my center screen with the HTC clock/weather widget, and my four most used apps. I then have two pages with apps

- one for frequently used apps + folders to keep most of my apps in categories (I don't like going to the app drawer)
- and the other for audio / video).

I struggled for how to use the other four screens, so I use full screen photo, calendar, people and bookmark widgets.

Last edited:

frankiepapa

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
might i suggest, there is a thread in these forums that people post their screen shots, take a look at it. Perhaps one of the greatest forum threads you will find. You will find great inspiration and ideas from all the great members we have here!! If you can't find a way to spice up the remaining 4.5 screens, it might be time to go back to a blackberry curve...

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
At the very least, put some cool widgets on there so when your iPhone buddies pop over you can say something witty/fanboyish like "Wow, that screen full of icons sure is pretty, now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to check the 5 day weather forecast, play a song on Pandora, check my calendar, check the latest headlines from CNN, and check the newest Facebook posts all by glancing at this one screen. Oh what's that? You say that same thing would require you to click on like 5 different icons and back out of each...so like a few dozen button presses? You can't just see all that information at a glance? And even if you could, the screen would be too small to actually read all of that? And you pay a lot more than me for the privilege? LAME!" (be sure to put your fingers into a shape of an "L" on your forehead during this last part). Feel free to also add on something like "Well, at least you look (make finger quotes here) 'hip to the square' with that Apple logo on the back."

Then say "Good day, sir....I said good day!" and walk away with a smug smirk on your face because you have bested them and left them with no reasonable retort. If you are feeling overly awesome about it, do a little jump/kick-your-heels-together thing as well. Be sure to make a mental hash-mark of your victory for use in bar conversations. Oh and start a thread here about your adventure! Maybe a picture of their no-doubt in-shock face in the "pics taken with your evo" thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodar

Runnin_it

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. My main screen has clock/weather widget, a 1x4 calendar widget showing three next events, and contacts, call hist., browser, market, voicemail and email mix of widgets and apps so all are 1x1 icons.

Then I have a page of most used apps.
A page of most used widgets.
A page of various types of searches/navigation.
An entertainment page with apps/widgets for reading, music, videos, pics, FB and twitter
A page of utility apps/widgets - battery stuff, file explorer, flashlight; stuff like that
And finally a full page calendar widget.

All screens are full, too. I might need another one! :)

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
At the very least, put some cool widgets on there so when your iPhone buddies pop over you can say something witty/fanboyish like "Wow, that screen full of icons sure is pretty, now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to check the 5 day weather forecast, play a song on Pandora, check my calendar, check the latest headlines from CNN, and check the newest Facebook posts all by glancing at this one screen. Oh what's that? You say that same thing would require you to click on like 5 different icons and back out of each...so like a few dozen button presses? You can't just see all that information at a glance? And even if you could, the screen would be too small to actually read all of that? And you pay a lot more than me for the privilege? LAME!" (be sure to put your fingers into a shape of an "L" on your forehead during this last part). Feel free to also add on something like "Well, at least you look (make finger quotes here) 'hip to the square' with that Apple logo on the back."

Then say "Good day, sir....I said good day!" and walk away with a smug smirk on your face because you have bested them and left them with no reasonable retort. If you are feeling overly awesome about it, do a little jump/kick-your-heels-together thing as well. Be sure to make a mental hash-mark of your victory for use in bar conversations. Oh and start a thread here about your adventure! Maybe a picture of their no-doubt in-shock face in the "pics taken with your evo" thread.

I actually took your advice today and did that. Flawless victory.

so i didn't actually do this. though I am at work, and there is an iPhone user that comes in in the morning...And he's your typical Apple fanboy, cares nothing of what the opposition has, just blindly smears the dirt Steve Jobs walks in into his pants, you know?

jfultz14976

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyway to name the folders that you can put apps in? I don't really want a screen full of "folder", "folder", "folder". I have a lot of games and would like to label by category.

Thanks

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Is there anyway to name the folders that you can put apps in? I don't really want a screen full of "folder", "folder", "folder". I have a lot of games and would like to label by category.

Thanks

Yes. If you open the folder and then hold down the top bar, you can rename the folder.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I would say if you are not really using all the home screens, leave the outside ones empty. You don't have to scroll over to them, and if you are not using them, it seems silly to fill them with widgets that will run in the background, updating periodically, and using battery.

Just because they are there, doesn't mean they have to have something on them. I only use five of the seven. My two outside ones are empty.