Using Bluetooth stereo headphones (quick question)

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I use a single ear bluetooth (Moto H700), but noticed that playing podcasts or music does not work / play in the ear piece.

I am assuming I need to buy a stereo headset in order to get the podcasts I listen to via the phone to work in the headset...is this correct? Or is it a setting I am missing?

I am torn between Bluetooth and a wired headset, because I switch between the FM tuner (which needs the wired as an antennae) and the convenience of a BT that would allow me to listen to podcasts, not fiddle with wires, but also easily answer calls.

Hoping for recommendations or advice, especially on whether it is required that I have a stereo BT to get the audio to play in the headset.

Thanks!

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
What program are you using to play the podcast? I have a blue ant T1 it is a mono (single ear) Bluetooth but it connects to media. Your Bluetooth has to be a2dp or stereo headset compatible.

Later,
Dave

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually use RSS Reader by Meecal, as I prefer to stream the podcasts versus downloading the MP3 to my phone and taking up space.

I am not sure if the H700 is a2dp or stereo headset compatible, is there a way to check?

I have been looking at reviews for a good BT for the EVO, but they are so mixed. Wondering if there are any recommendations for a wired one (or BT), in which the mic has great noise cancellation, as I always get complaints when driving from background noise (even with windows up).

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about getting the Motorola H17txt...anyone have this for their EVO?

Motorola - H17txt Bluetooth Headset - Black - 89425N

Would this work with hearing audio with streaming podcasts?

I received one from Amazon just a few days ago. I can confirm that it works fine on my EVO listening to streaming podcasts and to MP3s on the phone's player. I haven't used it extensively as a phone headset yet, but when I called a friend to test it out, he said I sounded better than I usually do when talking on my EVO (when holding the phone to my face, I tend to let the microphone wander away from my mouth over time). I also used it with the Audiogalaxy streaming player to listen to MP3s on my computer, though that's more of a stunt than something I'd do regularly. So far I've used it mostly for listening to media, rather than as a phone headset. Pairing the headset with my EVO (and also with an iPad) was easy and trouble-free, and it has automatically connected every time since.

The ear clip is acceptably comfortable for me, though starts to irritate my ear after a couple of hours. That will be a highly indidualized thing, of course.

I installed the free Motorola app that reads the first part of your text messages, and it does work the couple of times I needed it. The first time I used the software, my phone had two mysterious freezes that I suspect were connected to the Motorola app, but I haven't had a problem since.

PS: I mentioned that I'm told I sounded fine, audio quality for me listening to the headset is also excellent, though I have tin ears and am not a great judge. Not the cheapest headset around, but I'm quite content with it (it is my first BT headset). The size is as small as you cold ask for, and turning on/off by flipping out the little boom works great and is easy to check on/off status.

Reactions: stimulatedboredom

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Excellent response H Claw, thank you very much. :)

The H700 is similar, in that the boom etc is the same, but I have been getting complaints about not being particularly clear in moderate-to-loud sound environments (e.g. in the car - even with windows up, ambient noise). I attributed this to the fact that it is nearly 6 years old and a BT 1.2 device. Also, my current one is not particularly loud and I hear the H17 is a big improvement.

VERY pleased for the confirmation on the streaming media, thank you.

I keep going back and forth between the H17 and the Jawbone ICON.

Beyond the streaming, the noise cancellation (and being clear to others) is 2nd most important to me.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't really given the noise cancellation a good test yet, I remember looking at reviews on the Jawbone, which if it works as advertised sounds like a pretty slick way to help control the noise cancellation. I bought this in response to rumors of local laws requiring hands-free devices, but I don't really use my cell phone for calling on the move that often!

One last (minor) point on the H17....Several of the reviews I saw before buying complained that the noise level rocker was too small. I agree that it is smaller than ideal, though it is adequate, and I don't adjust the volume that often once I get it set in a particular environment. I don't consider it a serious problem.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I work in a lot of noisy environments I have been very happy with my Blue Ant T1 noise cancellation. My customers will complain if the noise is to loud. Plus the T1 has a great speaker I was surprised by the quality of the sound and how loud it is. Radio shack has a nice return policy I would recommend getting a Bluetooth from them if you don't like something about it you can take it back.

Later,
Dave

Reactions: stimulatedboredom

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Looked at all 3 and all of them have great reviews.

The T1 looks a little wonky with the over the ear loop, doesn't look easy to put on...but the sound quality and noise cancellation seems to be good.

The Jawbone ICON and H17 seem to also be on par...H17 has the easy flip boom (instead of fiddling with small power button) and a smaller profile in the ear.

Basically, decision has not been made easier! But I really appreciate the recommendations.

One second I am set on the H17, then I read the sound can be 'tinny'. Then I think T1...but complaints about fit. Jawbone, no manual volume button...so advantages switch back and forth.

Oh well, heading to the store soon, maybe putting eyeballs on all three will help. :)

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I went with the H17 :)

I literally held all three in my hands comparing. The T1 lost out because it's too big for my taste and was not a fan of the plastic earloop. Video review I saw also commented on how much of a pain it was to insert comfortably / quickly.

ICON and H17 were left. ICON? H17? ICON? H17?

In the end, the smaller profile of the H17 and the easy to use boom (off/on) won the day. That and the fact that there was a definite Android bend leaning towards the H17...and that I normally don't like headsets that I have to flanagle to hold in my ear (like the ICON), I always have trouble with those and some of the complaints about the ICON were that it always feels like it's about to fall out.

Charging it now, if it doesn't work as planned / hoped, I can always exchange it! :)

Thanks guys.

c1971ace

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 different bluetooth devices that i use...For a regular earpiece i use a Motorola Endevour HX1 which works very well...the second is a set of Moto S9's which sound well but i dont use too much,actually toying with the idea of selling them,and finally my favorite of all are the Moto S805's.They both a bluetooth and wired headset so you have the best of both worlds...i highly recommend them and they can be had for pretty reasonable $$$.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca