Problems trying to change notification settings, ring tones, and screen lock

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
As a new EVO customer who loves having made the switch from BlackBerry, I'm running into a few problems with some common preferences changes.

For the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

1. I downloaded Funny Ring Tones app to assign a certain ring tone to my niece. I also wanted to assign one to my mom. However, whenever I try to set this up, it asks if I want to use Funny Ring Tones--of course I choose this one--it forces me to have to use only one ring tone from this app for both persons and not one for my niece and one for my mother. How does one assign a specific ring tone to a specific contact so I can use different ring tones?

2. Similarly, I wanted to use one of Funny Ring Tones' greetings to notify me when I got text messages; however, it gives me this funny notification when Emails come in, even though I chose messages and not Email.

3. How can I turn off the screen lock? My screen timeout is set to 2 minutes (I wish there was a setting for 5 minutes) because 10 is too long, and every time I turn around to use the phone, I have to press the on/off button to awaken it, then I have to scroll down to unlock the screen. I went into the settings and swore I turned this feature off, but obviously that didn't work. Is there a secret to this?

4. When I want to dial someone from my contact list, is there a way to input their name so it populates in the select box, allowing me to more quickly choose that person and call? Right now I keep having to scroll through my couple hundred contacts to get to one near the bottom of the alphabet, and that definitely is a pain in the @ss.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Can't help you on the ring tones, but to quickly find someone, just hit the search button and start typing - it'll filter the list as you type.

jeeplj8

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought I knew the answer to your ringtown question, but it does reproduce. From the application you should have an option to assign to contact. However, from what I have found, if you change the ringer profile (to vibrate for example) or do a re-start, it will loose that data.

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
There is a setting for 5 minutes for screen lock. Press Menu, Settings, Security, Lock phone after (the choices are Immediately, 3 min., 5 min., 10 min., and 15 min.)

As far as scrolling down to lock the screen, are you referring to swiping down at the bottom of the screen to unlock or entering a password to unlock? You can choose to have a password or not but I don't think you can disable the swiping down part.

As far as dialing a contact name, on the phone dialing pad you can type in the person's name (using the letters under the numbers) and the person's name will show up above the keypad.

Hope this helps.

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Problems trying to change notification settings, ring tones,

There is a setting for 5 minutes for screen lock. Press Menu, Settings, Security, Lock phone after (the choices are Immediately, 3 min., 5 min., 10 min., and 15 min.)

I came looking for this info but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I just got an Evo 4G on Monday and I find it very annoying that the screen locks after a minute. I don't mind the display turning off after a minute but I would like to extend the time it takes before the screen locks. I can go to my settings > security but there is no option for "lock phone after".

Have some of the device menus changed since this thread was last updated a few months ago?

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
For the screen lock, you can try an app such as "no screen lock" that will disable the lock altogether. I don't use it, but that's the first one I came across in my search.

sent to you in three dimensions

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

For you ringones, there is no better app than Zedge, once you donwload a ringtone, it gives you the option automatically to assign the ringtone to a contact or to assign it as your main ringtone. pretty cool. For you lock screen... seriously? is it that hard to swipe down the Evo bar? LoL if you are using a number or password lock , then simply time that to over 5 minutes.:cool:

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

For you lock screen... seriously? is it that hard to swipe down the Evo bar? LoL if you are using a number or password lock , then simply time that to over 5 minutes.:cool:

It?s not hard, I?m just lazy. Although I prefer to label myself as efficient. LOL!!

In all seriousness, I?ve been a Blackberry user for the past 5 years and it was a little frustrating to me that the screen locked every time the backlight timed out on my new EVO. The app ?No Lock? works great for what I wanted though.