quick task killer

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone used quick task killer from the app catalog? It claims to work with 2.2. I know 2.2 doesn't need a task killer but it seems to stop or kill all of the sprint apps like navigation, maps, twitter, etc...should I stop using it?

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Task killers often cause more harm than good. Let the os have it's way and kill anything you need to via running applications. Our you could just uninstall the offending apps.

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo on Hero action here!

I.R.R.V.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
If you do just the minimum search on this forum, you would not need to ask about task killers, the answer hasn't changed yet. DON'T USE THEM!!!!!!!!! Lol

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I know what everyone says about not using task killers (I don't use one) but I'm not sure I agree with the statement that 2.2 does well with memory management. Occasionally, my device will get laggy, scrolling becomes very jumpy and/or studders. When I go into the Manage Applications screen to start force closing the apps, none of the app icons show up (just the generic android icon) and scrolling through the actively running programs list is again, jumpy/laggy/slow. As soon as I start closing down apps though, scrolling through the running apps list starts to becomes smooth again, the icons for the various apps show up, and when I'm done closing all the apps I need to, my device operates smoothly again. So to me, the fact that I have to go into that Manage Applications screen and force close apps because my device is becoming laggy doesn't inspire the greatest confidence about 2.2's ability to manage memory to the point where my phone stays running smoothly. Not to mention its a real pain to have to go into that Mange Applications screen and close down each program one by one. It would sure be nice to use something like Advanced Task Killer where I just tap it once and a bunch of apps that I've already defined as wanting shut down get closed. Is there any harm in installing one of these types of programs and just simply using it whenever the device gets laggy (instead of having to force close each app one by one)?

Last edited:

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You've got an app causing problems if you're phone is getting laggy. The only time I reboot my phone is when the battery is so dead that it turns itself off and I don't have any issues with slow downs over time. I've gone weeks without a reboot or a problem.

You need to get SystemPanel from the app market to find out what is causing the problem.

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response but that's not really what I wanted to know. All my apps are quite mainstream (Angry Birds, Astro, Engadget, Logmein, Pandora, Touchdown, Slingplayer, etc) so I don't really beleive it is one of them. What I simply want to know is if there is any harm in installing a task killer and simply using it when my device occasionally gets laggy/jumpy/studders/etc. I don't need it to be autokilling apps on a set schedule, it would just be nice not to have to go into the Manage Applications screen and force close each app one by one.

Last edited:

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Take a look at these articles. I don't recommended using any Task Killers. There have been many post and articles written about this.

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

http://www.androidcentral.com/carriers-still-pushing-task-killers

There's a big difference between using auto task killers and having manual task killers around for certain occasions (like when an app gets stuck).

so does Advanced Task Killer tho......

So does about 30 applications. But System Panel has a great UI and does a lot of other useful stuff as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane