1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7

Default Kickstands loose...

Any suggestions... should I bring it it to sprint?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    I tweet too - @enzofall
    1%er

Bike shop.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7

Then should I bring my Schwinn to spritnt lol...

I tweet too - @enzofall

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vaelpak 2.3 Ziggy Kernel

how? I mean how? that thing is so sturdy you could shank a co-worker with it. How did it get loose?
    HTC Evo 4G running OTA 3.70.651.5 (Rooted) with Netarchy SBC Kernel 4.2.2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7

No idea and now it wobbles.. not an extraordinary amount but it does

I tweet too - @enzofall

Back to Sprint. A lot of people don't realize that the Evo kickstand is also the CPU heatsink. It needs a rock steady point of attachment to do its job.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vaelpak 2.3 Ziggy Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Back to Sprint. A lot of people don't realize that the Evo kickstand is also the CPU heatsink. It needs a rock steady point of attachment to do its job.
    I seriously did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    x2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

I tweet too - @enzofall

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    That's because it seriously isn't. Yes, it gets hot when the device warms up, but it's not the CPU heatsink. The CPU (and all other major chips in fact) reside right under the battery.

See also:

Step 12 and 13 show the board, if you need proof.

I don't mean to say this poorly, but that's like 2 moderators in a row that have said silly things like this today >.>

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vaelpak 2.3 Ziggy Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Law View Post
    That's because it seriously isn't. Yes, it gets hot when the device warms up, but it's not the CPU heatsink. The CPU (and all other major chips in fact) reside right under the battery.

See also:

I don't mean to say this poorly, but that's like 2 moderators in a row that have said silly things like this today >.>
    aww man you ruined my fantasy of dipping the kickstand in ice water and overclocking lol.

See also:

Yes, please look at those images, they show the same thing I've seen when tearing my own Evo down. The rear of the kickstand, on the internal frame has a large metal surface, which is used to transfer heat away from the two corresponding heat dissipating shields on the logic board, located right above the vibration motor.

When the internal frame is properly mounted and attached, heat is transferred through the plate, and away from the logic board via the kickstand. Which is the definition of a heatsink. I'll make it easy for ya.

Those shields absorb heat generated by the CPU. Every metal piece on the logic board does. The trick it to find ways to transfer this heat outside of the casing, which HTC does by using the kickstand. Any play in the mounting of the kickstand will severely decrease it's ability to dissipate heat, as heat moves through metal much more efficiently than air.

Any ***** with an IR thermometer and a simple continuity tester can figure this out. Access to the engineering specs and drawings helps too. (they're not hard to find, any Asurion tech can help) None of this is accidental, the kickstand is where it is and designed the way it is for a reason -- that reason is to dissipate heat. Or were you under the impression that only things pasted to the CPU can act as a heatsink?
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Were you under the impression that things NOT pasted to the CPU can act as a heatsink? Seriously? How do you expect the heat to transfer, through magic fairy dust? The only other way to get the heat over there in the first place would be the use of a heatpipe, of which there are none.

The CPU is nowhere near where your arrow is pointing. You know what the kickstand would be cooling right under there? A bunch of irrelevant chips. Look!

Feel free to explain to the "idiots" here how heat is supposed to just wander on down to the kickstand, when there is no heatpipe at all from there to the kickstand. Heck, the CPU is under the battery, covered by a plastic label!

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts
    ROM
    Only Jelly Bean or ICS!

well mine wobbles if i open it, put my fingers on the end and wobble it up and down it does move....

didnt know what was a problem?
    If you think i helped you, please click the Thanks button on the right

Quote Originally Posted by intheb0x View Post
    well mine wobbles if i open it, put my fingers on the end and wobble it up and down it does move....

didnt know what was a problem?
    That's because only the metal bracket it rests in is even securely mounted. The whole idea of it being a heatsink is rather absurd. What little heat it could even dissipate would be irrelevant anyway.

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts
    ROM
    Only Jelly Bean or ICS!

That's because only the metal bracket it rests in is even securely mounted. The whole idea of it being a heatsink is rather absurd. What little heat it could even dissipate would be irrelevant anyway.
    so mine is faulty?

are u saying a trip to sprint is worth it?

i think they would laugh if i tried to claim i should get a new one because of this LOL
    If you think i helped you, please click the Thanks button on the right

No, I'm saying they all wiggle a little, because the joint for the kickstand is not exactly strong/solid.
    Thanked by:

That's nothing. My kickstand pops out and has to be held in by scotch tape. I'm to lazy to go to the Sprint store.

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts

Were you under the impression that things NOT pasted to the CPU can act as a heatsink? Seriously? How do you expect the heat to transfer, through magic fairy dust? The only other way to get the heat over there in the first place would be the use of a heatpipe, of which there are none.

The CPU is nowhere near where your arrow is pointing. You know what the kickstand would be cooling right under there? A bunch of irrelevant chips. Look!

Feel free to explain to the "idiots" here how heat is supposed to just wander on down to the kickstand, when there is no heatpipe at all from there to the kickstand. Heck, the CPU is under the battery, covered by a plastic label!
    major p3wnage