How to listen to music via Bluetooth on an Airplane?

lvdata

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I just got off a plane, and found out you seemingly CAN'T listen to music stored on your phone with bluetooth without turning ON your cell phone connection, something you can't do on an airplane. I can turn off the data connection, but from what I understand flying with a cell phone radio on will drain the battery quickly as it connect to a LOT of cell towers all at once as you fly over them, besides being illegal to have a cell phone on during flight. Is there a way to turn the cell phone off, and leave your bluetooth working?!?
Thanks lvdata

lvdata

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Yea, looks like wires are my only choice, but at the time I wad at 10,000 feet and climbing. Not a time to find out you need headphones. :)

Loondog

May 16, 2010
Visit site
anything personal wireless/transmitter is a no no on an airplane.
I got busted one time for using a wireless mouse with my laptop.

The only time I have heard of allowed wireless is when the carrier offers their own Wifi. Sounds like a racket to me....

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I do this all the time. Go get the "Network" app by Philipp Mangelow from the market. Use the button "Turn Off Radio" when in-flight. Keeps BT on (unlike Airplane Mode) and affects nothing else.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
anything personal wireless/transmitter is a no no on an airplane.
I got busted one time for using a wireless mouse with my laptop.

The only time I have heard of allowed wireless is when the carrier offers their own Wifi. Sounds like a racket to me....

it's all a big scam. i've had my ipod in my ears running from the time i sat down after boarding until we landed with out the attendant saying anything.

i also normally just leave my phone on in my pocket and the plane hasn't crashed. (i would turn the evo to airplane mode for batterly life)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I would think BT would fall under the "devices that transmit or receive data" and would not be allowed. Basically it's a wireless technology.

As for the "scam" thing, yeah, but it's the rules. I would just get a pair of earbuds to avoid any arguments with flight attendants (which you will no doubt lose).

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought and believe the whole point of airplane mode is to turn off ALL RADIOS. Your bluetooth will be transmitting a signal. While in flight, you are not supposed to be transmitting any signals.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
it's all a big scam. i've had my ipod in my ears running from the time i sat down after boarding until we landed with out the attendant saying anything.

i also normally just leave my phone on in my pocket and the plane hasn't crashed. (i would turn the evo to airplane mode for batterly life)

Even though I don't believe for a minute that leaving or using your cell phone, during a flight will cause the plane to malfunction. But I wonder, why you feel the need to defy simple instruction to turn of your phone. Are you expecting a call? Are you gonna make a call? Do you just enjoy your battery running down unnecessarily? Does it make you feel cool/ rebelious? Why do you deliberately do it? Its a good thing it doesn't cause a malfunction. if it did what would you say? Opps, my bad? Grown up! Because, you sir, are an a$$.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't fly much but know a bit about it. Take offs and landings are the most crucial time that these could be the most problematic. Even the ones that have Wi-Fi only allow it during the flight itself and that is controlled.

From my understanding most modern planes equipment are shielded enough that it most likely would not cause any harm but why take a chance?

There are lives at stake here... It would only take that one time that a BT signal somehow spiked or bounced off everything in just such a fashion to mess a Gage up somehow in the cockpit. It only takes one time and don't say that it 100% could not happen. i:)i

Reactions: Makad

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't fly much but know a bit about it. Take offs and landings are the most crucial time that these could be the most problematic. Even the ones that have Wi-Fi only allow it during the flight itself and that is controlled.

From my understanding most modern planes equipment are shielded enough that it most likely would not cause any harm but why take a chance?

There are lives at stake here... It would only take that one time that a BT signal somehow spiked or bounced off everything in just such a fashion to mess a Gage up somehow in the cockpit. It only takes one time and don't say that it 100% could not happen. i:)i

Yeah, what he said.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I also think its a sham. I would think there would be a total ban on cellphones if the FAA thought for one second that it will interfere with flight operations.

ntron1

Banned
Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I fly a few miles each year....well over 200,000 this year and I use my bluetooth headset on every flight. The power and range of bluetooth is not an issue on planes. Many planes I fly on have Wifi to use for a fee.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15