Updating Pre-installed Apps Question (i.e. Flash, YouTube, Qik)

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
When an update comes out for a pre-installed app like YouTube, Flash, Qik, Maps etc, do you have to go to the market and re-download it there to overwrite your previous version?

I know usually apps will tell you when there is an update when you check your downloaded list, but I recently downloaded the AppBrain app and synced it online and it told me there were updates for the above mentioned apps. If it is an overwrite, it sure seemed to also take up a ton of extra internal memory in the process (Flash for instance was nearly 13 mbs). YouTube I saw had an update through Android Central, but it never came up as an update on my downloaded list, until I used the appbrain app.

Another example is QIK was already installed when I got the phone. According to the AppBrain app, it said I needed to download "QIK for EVO 4G" as an update.

Not sure if this makes sense, but I just don't want to "double download" something and take up more memory.

Thanks for any help on this!

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing, all pre-installed apps need to be manual searched in the Market and you will see all the updates. After you install the updates it will always be under your download and when a new update comes out it will show/tell you there's a new update. When you download and install the new update it just installs over the app, but if you remove any and all updates it will Not remove the pre-install app as its tied to the phone. Flash, Amazon mp3, qik, and others have updates on the market that will improve the app and Evo, problems is you have to manual search for them and install them.

Reactions: stimulatedboredom

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Deaofly, that helps.

I am very familiar with my phone / apps / android, but this one confused me as I am accustomed seeing the update in my downloaded list...so it is funny that just before I saw your response, I had uninstalled the updates and saw how it was now showing in the market in my downloaded list and that an update was required.

I thought I might have been downloading something twice, since I saw a chunk of space disappear (!) but obviously the update increased the size of the app overall.

The "Qik for EVO 4G" threw me because the original QIK seemed to work fine and I was wondering why the Evo version came up as a separate app.

How else (other than frequenting this site, which I do) would people be aware that a pre-installed app had these updates? Nice to know the appbrain app was accurate!

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Glad I could help and I see share your pain. The only reason why I know about manual searching and installing pre-installed updates is because of this site. I have found the 2 qik apps also, both of which you mentioned. That was the 1st time i decided to check for updated apps like flash and Google goggles. The good news is that once there is a new update that you find for a pre-installed, after the update is installed, the android market will keep it under your downloads and you will no longer have to search for updates as the market will keep track and notify you once one is updated. I say the Flash update has probably been the best update for me as i use a app called Flash TV which i can watch over 89 channels for free and they play and look good even on 3G.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think this is just for apps located in your /system directory on the device, while apps from the market install in to /data or your sdcard. That's most likely how're you able to uninstall the updates and return to what was initially there.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I also believe that usually when a preinstalled app has an update it has to be approved by the carrier. I could be mistaken, though.