How do I prevent the screen from locking?

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to turn this off? Every single time I pick up the phone, I have to scroll down to unlock the screen. My timeout is set to 2 minutes to conserve battery drain (I wish there was a 5-minute setting), but I'm thinking about changing this to 10-minutes, which would really drain the battery, my having an extended battery notwithstanding.

There's got to be a way to get rid of this scroll down to unlock screen annoyance.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Are you just wanting to hit the power button and go straight to the home screen?

Yeah

Search the android store for no lock, it's awesome and should do the trick.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. BTW, is there an app that allows one to customize the timeout length; that is, set it to something other than the stock 2, 10, etc. minutes? Just wondering.

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
There is a good screen unlock widget in the Market called Lock Screen Switch. With this, you can unlock screen, lock screen or set it to keep screen unlocked while charging....

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Well, this app isn't worth a piece of <crap>. It worked for maybe a couple hours. I still must scroll down to unlock the screen every time it comes out of its sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
There is a good screen unlock widget in the Market called Lock Screen Switch. With this, you can unlock screen, lock screen or set it to keep screen unlocked while charging....

From the comments of several who have downloaded this app, it appears it doesn't work for them, and for others, very poorly.

So essentially, there isn't an effective way to prevent the EVO from locking its damn screen, it appears.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

I'll give this a shot for the hell of it. I did download it, but one question: where the hell IS it? I can't find the installed thing anywhere.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
you have to go and add the widget to a home screen. it's not gonna show up in your list of installed apps in the app drawer.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Well, tried this one, too. Didn't work one bit! My screen keeps locking just like it always has. That is a seriously annoying thing, to be honest with you. I'm already quite irritable. I don't need something else irritating me even more.

you have to go and add the widget to a home screen. it's not gonna show up in your list of installed apps in the app drawer.

Yeah, I remembered that--finally. Takes a bit of getting used to as a new Android user.

z28marols1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I noticed ever since I installed this widget my notifications arent clearing on their own now. IE when I get a text the notification doesnt go away upon reading the text. I have to swipe down and press the clear button for the notification to go away. Anybody else notice this?

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I recently rooted my phone and used Titanium Backup to delete what I thought was the file that controlled my screen lockn (HtcLockScreen.apk). OK, so for the last few days since rooting, my screen didn't lock. Good, that's what I wanted. Now, however, for some inexplicable reason, it IS locking again, except that this time when it locks, it doesn't do so via the Sprint default method that requires you to scroll down to unlock; instead, there's a small lock icon sticking out of the left side of the screen near the bottom. I have to press that and slide it to the right to unlock the screen and be taken right to my home page.

I'm wondering if I deleted the correct unlock file from the phone after rooting it. I can't find any other one to delete other than HtcLockScreen.apk. Can someone reiterate what exactly should have been deleted, just so I see if what I did was right? BTW, is this really relevant, though? After all, it has remained unlocked for several days and now inexplicably is locking itself again.

Last edited:

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I recently rooted my phone and used Titanium Backup to delete what I thought was the file that controlled my screen lockn (HtcLockScreen.apk). OK, so for the last few days since rooting, my screen didn't lock. Good, that's what I wanted. Now, however, for some inexplicable reason, it IS locking again, except that this time when it locks, it doesn't do so via the Sprint default method that requires you to scroll down to unlock; instead, there's a small lock icon sticking out of the left side of the screen near the bottom. I have to press that and slide it to the right to unlock the screen and be taken right to my home page.

I'm wondering if I deleted the correct unlock file from the phone after rooting it. I can't find any other one to delete other than HtcLockScreen.apk. Can someone reiterate what exactly should have been deleted, just so I see if what I did was right? BTW, is this really relevant, though? After all, it has remained unlocked for several days and now inexplicably is locking itself again.

What your seeing now is the default android lockscreen.Im not sure why when you delted the HtcLockScreen.apk the default didn't come up at reboot.That is the only lock you can delete HtcLockScreen.apk the other is built into the framework.
From the sounds of it you did everything right.There might be one thing you need to check if you are on a stock rom just rooted then you might need to go in and delte the HtcLockScreen.odex file.If your on a deodex rom then don't worry about that.

LinZbee

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

I was using this great app, No Lock, for quite a while, but as of yesterday when I updated my Fascinate to Froyo, it doesn't work anymore. :'( Hopefully the developer will change it to work with Froyo soon! Anyone know of other unlock screen apps that work with Froyo? I've tried to find one, but can't so far...

LinZbee

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
no lock works great on my froyo too. have had absolutely ZERO issues

That's encouraging for me. Thanks. But it still doesn't work. Can anyone think of some setting I need to check or any reason? If you read the latest reviews on the Android Market page for No Lock, you will see a number of people with the same issue, especially with their Fascinate since they updated to Froyo. I'm frustrated, this has been one of my most useful apps - I am now constantly having to unlock the screen and it's a pain in the neck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49