Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How much longer will the Evo be supported?

With some of the more recent stories about other phones on other carriers by other companies coming out about end dates or future updates (or the cease of) I've been wondering how much longer the Evo will be supported.

I like that the Evo is still the top of Sprint's selection and while I like to see new and better stuff come out, I fear that the release of another top tier Android phone will cause us to be left in the dust.

Anyone else share this fear?

Global Posts
    4,615 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Do you want to keep your phone forever? It's just how the mobile industry works, I update every year unless the newest phones just don't bring that much more to the table than my current phone. We should be good for a while yet, after all, Sprint hasn't announced a new top phone yet, and I don't think that will happen this year. They will intro the new hardware at CES, so I am thinking, we'll be ok at least until the next super phone comes out, which will probably be next summer. All other phones might have slightly better hardware, like the Desire HD, but aren't worth trading up for.

Dude relax you have until June 4th 2011 lol You sound like a Appl Fan boy on the low. This is the same thing one of my closest friend argue is. I only get Apple phone because they keep supporting it...ZIKKKEEE Bring an Original 1g Ifon to an apple store.

LG G2 Verizon LTE
    Nexus 4 ST TMO
    Galaxy S 3 Sprint LTE [ Retired ]
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G Verizon LTE [ Retired ]
    Nexus S 4G [ Retired ]
    Xoom Tablet 3.0 Honeycomb [ Retired ]
    HTC Evo 2.3.3| [ Retired ]
    Palm Pre [ Retired ]

Nope...nothin to worry about. This phone has been out for 5 months and still top dog. Waay too many people have this phone for HTC and Sprint to leave it alone. Expect this phone to start dying off late 2011 over 600,000 people switched to Sprint since the evo (which is sum kinda record I think)
    The evo won't be goin away anytime soon. I expect the droidx to die off much sooner, so those guys should worry about future updates

sent from the current baddest cell phone on the planet.....the HTC Evo 4G
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Considering Sprint gets "the latest and greatest" once in every forever I think we're safe.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,119 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I agree. I can see the phone getting at least gingerbread. (for us rooted users it's a non issue because dev's won't leave the phone alone for a VERY long time)
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

So this is why Otter box hasnt came out with the defender series yet

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Dude I've never seen a phone in Sprint so popular, I see the EVO on a lot of ppl on the streets something I only saw with the iPhone been on ppls hands n now is the evo n I stiiill hear of friends of mines talking about getting it so like somebody said, way too many ppl have this phone them not to supported

ROM
    MikFroyo4.4 w/stock

The EVO like many other phones should last on the carrier as long as HTC doesnt release a phone thats way better. The EVO still is the flagship in Sprint so it would be a long time before it gets EOL'd. The downside of Sprint is limited selection of phones, but the best part is rapid updates since they focus it the ones they have.

Other carriers like Att and Vzn have so many phones which could stretch their resources. Well that could also explain their prices tho.

For instance a family member got the BB 8530 at its already EOL'd, best get a top of the line phone to get top service.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,119 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The good thing about the EVO is that it has a very strong dev community behind it. We will be fine even if Sprint/HTC stop releasing updates.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

i suspect they would support it for at least 2.5 years, since alot of us have the two year contract. after that all bets are off.

I'm pretty sure we got atleast until next summer. The phone is fully equipped. It's a really hard phone to top.

Sent from my Evo 4G. using tapatalk

Remember that all Sprint Evo users get to upgrade at new customer pricing every 12 months so they will need something to upgrade to!! HTC will have the EVO2 ready in the June time frame of 2011 so I give the Evo about 12 months beyond that.

Thus, your Evo will be EOLed on or about June 2012

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Saw several EVO commercials last night during the Series. I don't think Sprint is going to stop supporting it any time soon...
    The only complaint I have about my EVO is that it turned my $300 netbook into a paperweight.

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    ROM
    unrooted

@deparson...can you cited that for me.. I never heard of the 12 month new customer pricing...only the partial upgrade after 12 months

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

One thing to learn: HTC DOES NOT let their devices die prematurely...ever.