Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Qik update

FYI: Qik has been updated. No longer requires push-to-talk. It's pretty nifty!

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vaelpak 2.3 Ziggy Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by bujin View Post
    FYI: Qik has been updated. No longer requires push-to-talk. It's pretty nifty!
    meh, uninstalled Qik a while ago. I'll wait for yahoo messenger to officially update with video chat.
    HTC Evo 4G running OTA 3.70.651.5 (Rooted) with Netarchy SBC Kernel 4.2.2

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

It's a pity, but I think that it is too late.... I mean the push to talk thing was horrible so many people already uninstalled or forgot about it.... they should have fixed that long time ago

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Well I like yahoo but bottom line is not working either so they too need to get on the ball n I'm not gonna uninstall anything into there's an app in the future that works flawlessly so in the meantime tango n qik WILL B ON MY PHONE, they work better than nothing
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well, I don't need to have phone to PC (or to iPhone) video chat, as the only person I chat with is Wifey, who has an EVO. The recent update seems to have good video and an improved UI, and QIK has always been more reliable than Tango / Fring / Yahoo for me.

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom

You guys that uninstalled, did you use an app or hack to get rid of Evo native apps?
    Samsung Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO > Evo 3D > Samsung GSIII on VZW

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfire8 View Post
    You guys that uninstalled, did you use an app or hack to get rid of Evo native apps?
    Yeah you need to have a rooted phone.
    Drink deep, or taste not, the plasma spring!

bloated and weak. uninstalled.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have it installed but I don't use it too often. I like the ui update and system integration.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

The new Qik for EVO is now similar to the new Qik Video Chat app that comes preloaded on the HTC MyTouch 4G. The quality of the video is better and the sound is decent. Don't knock it til you try it. ;-)

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Yeah it works fantastic for me. Sound and picture quality are much improved, and now that the walkie talkie thing is gone, i'm happy.

The audio is much lower and appears to not be using the speakerphone.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I have a weird Qik problem, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it: after I've used Qik, the next phone call I get automatically answers in speakerphone mode. In order to turn it off, I have to "turn on" speakerphone, and then turn it off again.

Just curious if I'm unique, or if anyone else has seen it.

Considering how many of my contacts have evos/my touch's/epics now I use qik more than any of the others. The yahoo video is janky, tango is a battery killer and fring quality just plain sucks.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bujin View Post
    I have a weird Qik problem, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it: after I've used Qik, the next phone call I get automatically answers in speakerphone mode. In order to turn it off, I have to "turn on" speakerphone, and then turn it off again.

Just curious if I'm unique, or if anyone else has seen it.
    You're not alone. I get the same thing. Just one of those bugs I guess... :-)

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
    Considering how many of my contacts have evos/my touch's/epics now I use qik more than any of the others. The yahoo video is janky, tango is a battery killer and fring quality just plain sucks.
    I really like the new Qik. But Tango is cool too, and it's been updated also. It no longer drains the battery, atleast not on my EVO.

what version is the new one? how do you update?
    dr

new one should be version 0.04.60.2

go to the marketplace - menu - my downloads and locate Qik (Qik for HTC EVO 4G if you have one since it's optimized for the EVO).

i'm liking it quite a bit. the recent update went through my contacts and located friends that also have qik installed (and their user id) so i could contact them. i had no idea some of my buddies also had EVOs.

as long as you follow the "rules" of video conferencing (i.e. good lighting, no background noise, use wifi/4G and minimal movement) it worked fantastically.

Quote Originally Posted by aphxtwinin View Post
    what version is the new one? how do you update?
    HTC EVO 4G

ok great thanks, but now i have 2 versions of qik, the one that came with the phone and the updated one i just dl in the store...also i didnt see a Qik for Evo only Qik and Qik for Tmobile
    edit: still sux but I do not have the version you do, the only version i found in the store was 03.765
    Last edited by aphxtwinin; 11-05-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

ok great thanks, but now i have 2 versions of qik, the one that came with the phone and the updated one i just dl in the store...also i didnt see a Qik for Evo only Qik and Qik for Tmobile
    edit: still sux but I do not have the version you do, the only version i found in the store was 03.765
    If you have an EVO(and even if you don't), you should see in the Market an app called Qik for HTC EVO 4G. That's the one you need to install. The T-Mobile Video Chat app looks the same as the Qik for EVO, but the version number is different. I had the T-Mobile app working fine on my EVO before the Qik for EVO was updated. I've since uninstalled the T-Mobile app. Search again, you should be able to find it.

i do have an Evo, and i still do not see a Qik specific for Evo...maybe they took it down? can anyone link me to it? whats your version # kenl? should i just use the tmobile version?

ROM
    Stock

Default Old and new version just crashes my 2 Evo's

I have two Evo's about a week old. With both the new and the version that came on the phone, trying to do almost anything with Qik results in a reboot of the device.

Also, tried Tango and it is worse. Causes the phone to go into an infinite loop of reboots. I had to do a reset and wipe all data and apps to get the phone to stop doing that, even after a battery pull.

Trying to decide if I should ask Sprint to replace both of these Evo's. I have two that do the same thing.

Running 2.2 and no hacks, roms or anything, just stock phones.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

i do have an Evo, and i still do not see a Qik specific for Evo...maybe they took it down? can anyone link me to it? whats your version # kenl? should i just use the tmobile version?
    Mine has the new version for the EVO, which is version 0.04.60.2. The one from T-Mobile is 0.04.3x.x... Something like that. Both of these versions worked on my EVO. Also, I just checked in the Market for Qik for EVO and you are right, it's not showing up anymore. Interesting... I wonder why. I think it was released the same day as the T-Mobile MyTouch 4G. I wonder if they removed it from the Market so that the MyTouch could have "exclusive" use of the new Qik features. The new Qik actually scans your contacts and creates a matching Qik contact that displays the Qik username of each contact. And it also shows you which contacts are currently signed in to Qik and available to receive a video chat. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be upgraded for the EVO yet and was released too soon.. Who knows. That is very interesting that it's since been removed though. I guess in the meantime you can just use the T-Mobile version. It worked fine for me.

ill try the tmobile version, maybe google saw that it was the same program and worked on both phones and removed the "clone." maybe Qik just need to change the name and pic and make it a universal app? i dunno just wondering what could be the reason

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I went into the Market on my EVO and looked at the recent comments for the Qik for EVO app and they don't look good. Alot of people are commenting that the app reboots their phone and other crazy stuff, so maybe that's why they removed it, to avoid more people downloading it. Not sure. But it works great on my EVO(knocks on wood)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast