Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Received Free Month of Service From Sprint:)

    I bought the Evo on launch day. My contract was up and I was considering going to Verizon BUT I wanted the Evo because of the advantages of 4g (Voice & Data at the same time). I knew Verizon would eventually have their LTE network up and running, but choose Sprint because the Sprint Rep told me that 4g would be in my area by the end of July (then was told by the end of Spetember). Well here we are 5 months later in Nov and I have NO 4g service in my area. There is 4g 15 miles west of where I live (Pomona, CA) and it has been there for about 2 months now and has not moved since. I have 3 Clearwire Towers within a 10 mile radius of my house and still NO 4g.

    So I call Sprint on Monday to ask what's going on. I was told by a technician that Sprint had no plans to get 4g in my area anytime soon (he looked it up in their system). I was not pleased with this news as I signed another contract because of what I was told by a Sprint rep when I went to get the phone. I could have went with Verizon and purchased an Incredible or waited a month and got a Droid X. I told the tech that I was not happy paying $10 a month for a service I was not using and does not look like I would be using in the immediate future. I told him I was thinking of canceling my service and just go with Verizon. He transferred me to Account Services, they apologized for the Reps not being truthful with me and they gave me an immediate $40 credit and they are going to pay my bill for 1 month ($158). I have 3 phones on my account. I already got the $40 credit and my bill for next month will be free. I guess I can live with this as a free month of service pays the extra $10 I pay per month for the life of the contract.

    Sprint is doing a horrible job rolling out 4g. I feel they should charge those folks the extra $10 a month if they actually have 4g in their area. They are ripping off people and they know it. So if you are frustarted as I am just call Sprint and threaten to cancel your service because you don't have a feature that you are currently being charged for. Ask to speak to a tech to see if 4g is scheduled to be rolled out in your area as the Customer Service reps will go on and on how the $10 is for data.
  2. #2  
    caliskimmer's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    1,891 Posts
    ROM
    N/A

    Default

    LA is getting 4g in December officially. I don't know if that includes Pomona though.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Pomona already has it (at least up to Garey Ave off to 10fwy). i am in San Bernardino (Inland Empire) and so far they don't have plans for 4g in this area. Funny thing is Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga is a major area and there is no 4g in this area.
  4. #4  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,358 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,403 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    I hope Verizon never advertises 4g until it is true. Most people believe the advertising, but there is some deflectors of truth in it. I almost went to sprint for the evo, but no 4g? (I don't like saying that because there is debate on that term) I hope verizon calls it LTE (nothing complicated about evolution) and lets Sprint and T mobile argue 4g. If Verizon is smart, they will play Sprint and T mobile by just having LTE. Glad Sprint made it right for you, good customer service is always worth an extra buck. Good Sprint!
  5. #5  

    Default

    In my area (CT), I've been impressed by the rollout. Overnight we now have 4G in Hartford, New Haven, Wallingford/Meriden, Stanford, Bridgeport, and probably others.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Yeah, at least Sprint took care of it. They realise false advertising and made it right with me.
  7. #7  

    Default

    To be quite honest, I have fast 4g in my area (Honolulu), but I don't even use it, both because of the battery drain and the occasional system lag it causes. 3g is good enough out here, and I absolutely love my EVO. Would I like to not pay an extra fee each month? Sure, but I'll pay it for this phone. It's worth it to me.
  8. #8  

    Default

    I'm in Rancho Cucamonga, and there is 4g in certain areas, even in San Bernardino there is some as well. I was shocked to find out, but I was at BJ's Brewhouse next to Ontario Mills, and I turned it on just to check. Sure enough, I had 4g service. It wasn't a full signal, it was more like 2 bars, but it was there. Also got 4g off of Foothill from Milliken to Vineyard as well, it was full bars too. In San Bernardino, I tried it and got a couple of bars of service around Lynwood and Arden. I believe they are rolling out 4g in the Inland Empire area, but its being tested now. Its coming to the area, I was shocked to even have it in the area, I know it wasn't there before in June or a few months ago, I tried...
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Evo 4g-----> iphone 4s-----> Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Good to know Bro. Whenever I goto the Mills I check for 4g. Was there 2 weeks ago and I had no service. Maybe they have started to roll it out the last couple of weeks. I am by Cal State San Bernardino and I have not seen 4g yet. Figures they have 4g between Milliken and Vineyard on Foothill (the Sprint Corp. store is in that area by Home Depot, across from Quake Stadium). Hopefully we start to get 4g sooner rather than later. Thanks for the heads up:0
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GHODZILLA5150 View Post
    Good to know Bro. Whenever I goto the Mills I check for 4g. Was there 2 weeks ago and I had no service. Maybe they have started to roll it out the last couple of weeks. I am by Cal State San Bernardino and I have not seen 4g yet. Figures they have 4g between Milliken and Vineyard on Foothill (the Sprint Corp. store is in that area by Home Depot, across from Quake Stadium). Hopefully we start to get 4g sooner rather than later. Thanks for the heads up:0
    No problem, It is spotty, but its there. It will be nice when its official. I hate that Sprint Corp store off of Milliken, its always packed and they seem to never have anything. I usually hit the Corp store in Victoria Garden, there usually really good about having things in-stock.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Evo 4g-----> iphone 4s-----> Galaxy S3
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    I LOATHE the Sprint store on Foothill. They are RUDE and never want to help. I goto the Corp. Sprint store in Redlands. Very nice and helpful
  12. #12  

    Default

    Sprint only officially claims 4G in some 50 odd cities. But users with the Sensorly app have mapped 4G in around 150+ areas. I think they are rolling out 4G in more areas then they are willing to admit to right now....

    I heard about the 150 area claim in a thread elseware on the forum. Taking a glance at the sensorly map coverage on my phone, and it certainly seems true...
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GHODZILLA5150 View Post
    I bought the Evo on launch day. My contract was up and I was considering going to Verizon BUT I wanted the Evo because of the advantages of 4g (Voice & Data at the same time). I knew Verizon would eventually have their LTE network up and running, but choose Sprint because the Sprint Rep told me that 4g would be in my area by the end of July (then was told by the end of Spetember). Well here we are 5 months later in Nov and I have NO 4g service in my area. There is 4g 15 miles west of where I live (Pomona, CA) and it has been there for about 2 months now and has not moved since. I have 3 Clearwire Towers within a 10 mile radius of my house and still NO 4g.

    So I call Sprint on Monday to ask what's going on. I was told by a technician that Sprint had no plans to get 4g in my area anytime soon (he looked it up in their system). I was not pleased with this news as I signed another contract because of what I was told by a Sprint rep when I went to get the phone. I could have went with Verizon and purchased an Incredible or waited a month and got a Droid X. I told the tech that I was not happy paying $10 a month for a service I was not using and does not look like I would be using in the immediate future. I told him I was thinking of canceling my service and just go with Verizon. He transferred me to Account Services, they apologized for the Reps not being truthful with me and they gave me an immediate $40 credit and they are going to pay my bill for 1 month ($158). I have 3 phones on my account. I already got the $40 credit and my bill for next month will be free. I guess I can live with this as a free month of service pays the extra $10 I pay per month for the life of the contract.

    Sprint is doing a horrible job rolling out 4g. I feel they should charge those folks the extra $10 a month if they actually have 4g in their area. They are ripping off people and they know it. So if you are frustarted as I am just call Sprint and threaten to cancel your service because you don't have a feature that you are currently being charged for. Ask to speak to a tech to see if 4g is scheduled to be rolled out in your area as the Customer Service reps will go on and on how the $10 is for data.
    Who cares about the $10? Go to Verizon and get an incredible and pay more per month with Verizon... Trust me I checked it out before... I had the iPhone for nearly two years and dumped it for a Nexus One on T-Mobile (phone was awesome but the coverage area sucked big time) With rumors of a Sprint Nexus One around the time the Incredible came out I went to Verizon and looked at the Incredible and with my company corporate discount we get with both Sprint and Verizon (The exact same %) my plan would have been nearly $20 MORE per month than what I pay on the EVO with Sprint...

    The only people I think who would feel screwed were current Sprint customers who were not use to paying the extra $10... As for people coming from AT&T or Verizon smart phone plans it was cheaper even with the $10.....

    The $10 fee has never been a 4G fee.... PERIOD!!! It's because they basically learned from AT&T and the iPhone... the iPhone makes up less than 10% of AT&T subscribers yet use nearly 80% of the data pipe line... Sprint knew with the EVO and Epic those phones would use more of the network and put more of a strain on the network and charged accordingly... They just marketed it completely wrong....

    They SHOULD have just came up with new smart phone plans that were $10 more than their current plans.... As long as you still had an older smart phone you should have been able to keep your old plan but if you upgraded to a new contract and a new smart phone you pay the new smart phone plans (ON ALL SMART PHONES NOT JUST THE EVO OR EPIC... just so it didn't cause the confusion it has and all the uproar over the $10)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    I have been with Sprint for 12 years. We had Palm Pre's before the Evo. It's not about the measily $10, its about being lied to and paying for a service and not being able to use it.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GHODZILLA5150 View Post
    I have been with Sprint for 12 years. We had Palm Pre's before the Evo. It's not about the measily $10, its about being lied to and paying for a service and not being able to use it.
    I thought that it was made clear that the $10 wasn't for 4G, but rather for the fact that the "premiere" devices were more data-centric.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bujin View Post
    I thought that it was made clear that the $10 wasn't for 4G, but rather for the fact that the "premiere" devices were more data-centric.
    That's a load of Bs. The Evo does not use more 1's & 0's than say my daughters Samsung Moment. They both connect to the network and both can use the internet. What do the Evo & Epic do that's so special on the network that there needs to be an extra $10 charge. I can see the implementation of 4g, but that's about it. Most of us don't have 4g coverage. So why should we pay for something we are not using
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bujin View Post
    I thought that it was made clear that the $10 wasn't for 4G, but rather for the fact that the "premiere" devices were more data-centric.
    It just wasn't marketed right no matter which way you flip it... The $10 was never actually marketed as for "4G" it was for premium data.... I had an HTC Hero for 10 days when I sold my Nexus One and waiting for the EVO release and I can tell you more often than not when I had to look some thing up on the internet I got up and went to my computer instead of using the Hero because it was slow. Now I use my EVO almost nonstop because it's SOOOOOO much faster and with the larger more crisp screen it's easier to see and view the web... THAT is why you pay the extra $10 per month... I have 4G in my area (Not officially but I get a great signal) but I rarely use 4G at all...

    Saying you were "Lied too" about the $10 fee is B.S. no matter what you say.. From the press release of the $10 fee to today it's never been for 4G... People just love to biotch and complain about it as such when they don't live in a 4G area or in a weak 4G area.

    Price plans change all the time... Have for years and years (I had Sprint for almost 10 years before leaving for the iPhone and went through several price structure changes over those years...)

    If you love Sprint they have to generate money to stay in business and expand and this $10 fee is part of that..... It just plane and simply wasn't marketed right.... That is all.... It was a poor job on the sales and marketing department and you know what......................... It hasn't stopped them from selling a crap load of phones (I read the EVO is the 5th best selling phone in 2010)
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default

    I NEVER said I was "Lied To" about the $10 fee. I was lied to when I was told that 4g would be in my area by the end of July (that did not happen), then the end of September by the sales associates at Sprint. I made my decision to go with the Evo becuase of what I was told about the rollout of 4g in my area. At the time I bought the Evo my contract was up and I was choosing between Sprint (4g) and Verizon (LTE). I choose Sprint and the EVO because I thought 4G would be in my area soon and I could use Voice and Data at the same time because that was an important part of my decision. If I would have known this was NOT the case, I would have choosen Verizon and waited for LTE. That's where I was lied to. Even the Account Services rep apologized to me for the Sprint Reps falsely leading me on. My decision to sign ANOTHER contract with Sprint was the premise that 4g would be in my area soon. Do you now understand how I was mislead.

    BTW - If you go back and read what I wrote, I NEVER once said I was lied to about the $10 fee. I was lied to about FUTURE 4g coverage in my area. Big difference. Learn to read and comprehend before you reply. Thanks
  19. #19  
    Dave Blake's Avatar

    Posts
    1,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GHODZILLA5150 View Post
    BTW - If you go back and read what I wrote, I NEVER once said I was lied to about the $10 fee. I was lied to about FUTURE 4g coverage in my area. Big difference. Learn to read and comprehend before you reply. Thanks
    Never believed what someone trying to sale you a device is saying especially Sprint. I know that is no help to you now and it really sucks that the guy at Sprint lied to you but he is just interested in selling you a phone he would have told you the phone could fart nickels if he thought it would have sold you on getting the phone. I am glad that Sprint has decided to help you out I hope it is enough compensation to make things rite for you. Just next time never take a sales person at there word do some research and get the facts before buying.

    Later,
    Dave
  20. #20  

    Default

    I'm sorry, do you live in Pomona?
    I go to Cal poly pomona, and I can't tell if you were referring to it saying 4g is there or if 4g is 15 miles away from there.

    I guess ill find out on Monday when I'm on the way to school.

    4g will come and I for one don't mind 10$ for unlimited 4g data. Despite the fact that its a little slower than lte I think its worth it. What I want to know is: with full connection, which network will kill your battery more either lte or wimax?

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    EPIC 4G
    ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
    KERNEL: STOCK

  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big D5 View Post
    Never believed what someone trying to sale you a device is saying especially Sprint. I know that is no help to you now and it really sucks that the guy at Sprint lied to you but he is just interested in selling you a phone he would have told you the phone could fart nickels if he thought it would have sold you on getting the phone. I am glad that Sprint has decided to help you out I hope it is enough compensation to make things rite for you. Just next time never take a sales person at there word do some research and get the facts before buying.

    Later,
    Dave
    What research could I have done at the time. I bought the phone at launch. You expect a modicum of honesty when purchasing and thus signing a new contract. This is why I called Sprint and threatened to cancel if I was not given fair compensation. To me they gave me fair enough compensation for their sales person not being upfront and honest about 4g rollout. I can live with this. Sprint is/was using 4g as bigtime selling point. I am an IT person and do major reserach on all electronics I purchase. At that time there was not enough data available to make an informed decision and thus I asked the sales associate what was the time table for 4g rollout in my area. I already knew it was in Las Vegas and Lancaster/Palmdale, CA (which is about 50 miles NW of where I live). If we can't trust sales associates of any kind for any product, then every company should not get upset when their products are hacked and modded for the customers benefit ie: Sony:PSP, NintendoS, Sprint:EVO/Epic, Apple:iPad/iPod/iPhone, MSFT:Xbox360, Verizonroid X/Incredible. You see where I am going with this. If Sprint wants/expects me to be honest and add Wireless Tethering to my account for $30 (instead of putting a ROM on my Evo and getting it for free) maybe they should do the same when instructing their associates on 4g rollout. It's a two way street.
    Last edited by GHODZILLA5150; 11-06-2010 at 10:58 PM.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaundizzle View Post
    I'm sorry, do you live in Pomona?
    I go to Cal poly pomona, and I can't tell if you were referring to it saying 4g is there or if 4g is 15 miles away from there.

    I guess ill find out on Monday when I'm on the way to school.

    4g will come and I for one don't mind 10$ for unlimited 4g data. Despite the fact that its a little slower than lte I think its worth it. What I want to know is: with full connection, which network will kill your battery more either lte or wimax?

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    I used to live in Pomona. I live in San Bernardino right now and 4g is about 15 miles West of my house off the 10w at Garey. It's been there for about 2 months now. You should be able to get 4g as it stretches from the 57/10 interchange to about Garey ave. You are smack dab in the middle of 4g territory Actually you can start to get a 4g signal on the 71N from Phillips Ranch into Azusa. On a side note. I used to play pick up basketball at Cal Poly Pomona back in the early 90's. The gym used to be open at night. I have two 3500mah batteries so not having enough battery life is not a concern of mine.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Sprint is rolling 4g really fast. My city has had it for almost 2 months and sprint has yet to announce it officially.

    A sales rep lying to you is not false advertisement.

    The evo is an overall better device with out without 4g compared to a Droidx, and clearly you want the bigger screen so don't pretend you are at a loss for not getting the incredible.

    The $10/month was well known before launch day.

    You have yourself to blame for not researching your phone investment and signing a contract anyway, but lucky for you, you randomly picked a great device.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  24. #24  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,358 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,403 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antianalog View Post
    Sprint is rolling 4g really fast. My city has had it for almost 2 months and sprint has yet to announce it officially.

    A sales rep lying to you is not false advertisement.

    The evo is an overall better device with out without 4g compared to a Droidx, and clearly you want the bigger screen so don't pretend you are at a loss for not getting the incredible.

    The $10/month was well known before launch day.

    You have yourself to blame for not researching your phone investment and signing a contract anyway, but lucky for you, you randomly picked a great device.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    You are entitled to your opinion I was phone/network shopping two months ago. Chose the 3G X. I live along mountains, and needed coverage first, lol.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antianalog View Post
    Sprint is rolling 4g really fast. My city has had it for almost 2 months and sprint has yet to announce it officially.

    A sales rep lying to you is not false advertisement.

    The evo is an overall better device with out without 4g compared to a Droidx, and clearly you want the bigger screen so don't pretend you are at a loss for not getting the incredible.

    The $10/month was well known before launch day.

    You have yourself to blame for not researching your phone investment and signing a contract anyway, but lucky for you, you randomly picked a great device.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    OMG PLEASE. Is there a problem with reading and comprehension here. I did NOT randomly pick this phone. I knew about this phone and followed it for about 4 months before launch. Once again, I AM NOT UPSET ABOUT $10 A MONTH, I was upset because I had a choice between Sprint's 4G and Verizon's LTE and choose Sprint's 4G because I was told that 4G would be rolled out in my area within 2 months of me buying the Evo as using Voice & Data at the sametime is important to me. What part of this is so hard for some here to understand. My goodness. Maybe reading AND comprehension should be taught a little bit longer in school. Is the EVO nice, Yes. Do I enjoy the Phone, Yes. Am I getting a service I am paying for, No. This is why Sprint decided to give me a $40 credit AND One Month of service for FREE. They know they were in the wrong and are falsely advertising 4G. Is 4G out there, Yes. Is it Saturated, HECK NO!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B