mac bluetooth dun setup

slamos

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
PDANet works well with tether on MAC Book Pro. Trying to get bluetooth running and not luck.

- Paired - Yes
- Connected - Yes (or so it seems)
- Searching for Services on phone - Finds "Access the internet with your phones data connection"
- When I click configure for the above service, I get a progress wheel that runs and never configures. I have to close out of that window every time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts?

bmanilla

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
PDANet works well with tether on MAC Book Pro. Trying to get bluetooth running and not luck.

- Paired - Yes
- Connected - Yes (or so it seems)
- Searching for Services on phone - Finds "Access the internet with your phones data connection"
- When I click configure for the above service, I get a progress wheel that runs and never configures. I have to close out of that window every time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts?

I'm having the same issue with my MacBook, OSX 10.6.4 and Droid Incredible. I can successfully connect to the internet via USB but not bluetooth.

- Paired: yes
- Bluetooth Settings:
----Protocol - Modem
----Service - Unknown Service
----Show in Network Perferences - checked

Within Network Preferences:
- Configuration - Default
- Telephone # - 123
- Account Name - blank
- Password - blank

I then click ENABLE BLUETOOTH DUN on the phone and then connect within Network Preferences and receive to pop-up notifications:

1.) A Bluetooth serial failure has occured.

Failed to open an RFCOMM serial channel. Check if authentication needs to be enabled in your device.

2.) Network Connection

Your connection failed because the communication device is unavailable. Make sure it's connected to your computer and try reconnecting.

Any thoughts?

bmanilla

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
That would likely be because PDANet doesn't support bluetooth tethering on OS X.

Agreed. That's the conclusion I've settled on but don't completely believe. If you look at their website, they offer instructions that would suggest bluetooth tethering on OS X is supported:

"Computer Side

If you only use Bluetooth DUN to go online, you do not need to install PdaNet on the computer side. The Bluetooth DUN feature also allows you to connect from Mac, Linux or any other Bluetooth compliant devices.

On your computer, bring up the Bluetooth setting window that lists devices nearby. Make sure that your device shows up in the list and is paired. Open this device and look for services provided by this device. You should see a "Dial-up networking (DUN)" service. Select it and connect to this service. (If it shows a dialup window, enter 123 as the dialup number.)

Depending on your Bluetooth software/driver, the above user interface may be presented differently. Below are screenshots taken from Windows 7, WIDCOMM, IVT BlueSoleil and the built-in Windows XP SP2 Bluetooth settings respectively. If you are using a Macbook, simply google "mac bluetooth dun setup"."

Quoted from:
http://www.junefabrics.com/android/bluetooth.php

Reading the above bolded text was the only thing that motivated me to keep trying to get it to work...

spookie

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Actually, June Fabrics says it does.

That would likely be because PDANet doesn't support bluetooth tethering on OS X.

According to June Fabrics, which created PDANet, it does. According to them, "The Bluetooth DUN feature also allows you to connect from Mac, Linux or any other Bluetooth compliant devices." (emphasis mine) Their instructions for setup say "If you are using a Macbook, simply google "mac bluetooth dun setup."

I have also been unable to set it up, though. I'm here because this is the first result if you google "mac bluetooth DUN setup." LOL!

I am planning to email support at June Fabrics and clarify if Bluetooth DUN is supported on Mac, though. PDANet has been great in getting my Macbook Air online using my HTC EVO 4G using a usb cable but I thought I'd try the bluetooth. PDANet was well worth the price even if the bluetooth DUN never works, though.

Last edited:

wasloan21

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I too had trouble getting it to work although it seems to finally be working on my 2011 MBP with Snow Leopard.

HTC Hero
Phone Manufacturer set to "Sprint"
Phone number "#123"
username and password: [blank] [blank]

Also note that it would not seem to connect until I made sure Wifi was off. Hope you have some luck getting this to work.

What was the response from Junefabrics?

mkatari

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I too had trouble getting it to work although it seems to finally be working on my 2011 MBP with Snow Leopard.

HTC Hero
Phone Manufacturer set to "Sprint"
Phone number "#123"
username and password: [blank] [blank]

Also note that it would not seem to connect until I made sure Wifi was off. Hope you have some luck getting this to work.

What was the response from Junefabrics?

I was able to do this using my mac 10.6.8. I did not need DUN. When I paired with my droid2, the phone asked if it should share internet connection (my pdanet was already running). I clicked Yes ("always yes"). Then on my bluetooth icon i went to my device and selected connect.

Looking at network preferences it is called Bluetooth PAN. So far it works great, no need to carry an extra cable :)
My configurations are same as wasloan21, i selected sprint and the phone number is #123

best of luck

RadioE

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Ive used PDAnet bluetooth with a MBP running leopard and a MBP running snow leopard. The only thing I've notice is it wont automatically connect. I have to re-register the phone information on the mac so it can connect everytime.:confused:

itallman

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I had trouble also but I was able to figure it out, and get it to work.

LG Optimus V
Phone Manufacturer set to "Generic"
Phone number "#123"
username and password: [blank] [I entered the code that was provided when I paired the phone]

Also note that it would not connect until the Wifi was off. I also noticed that it worked but was somewhat unstable, it may be my connection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar