shouldn't there be a next gen Evo coming soon?

stockh#AC

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been waiting patiently to jump on the Evo wagon but now I'm beginning to wonder if there is a newer ver coming down the pipeline.

I'm not sure when the Evo was released but it seems like it's due for an upgrade.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
It was released this past june. It's only 5 months old. I realize the smartphone market moves at a fast pace, but 5 months is hardly "due for an upgrade".

What would they upgrade it to right now exactly? The phone is still pretty much top of the line or close to it. A replacement right now would amount to an increase in memory and a small boost in CPU/GPU speed. Those aren't bad things obviously but they are a marginal upgrade to say the least.

I do not expect a replacement for the EVO until spring at the earliest. By that time, hardware will have advanced to the point that it would make sense to replace it. The upgrade would be worth it.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt there's an Evo successor anywhere near in sight. Will there by a new Sprint phone that'll be significantly more powerful and better than the Evo soon? I'm sure there will be. Here's the thing with the smartphone industry now.. It's moving ridiculously fast. Fast to the point where within 5 months the once mighty Evo is already being outshined in performance. I'm sure the dual core phones will be out by early next year (maybe even sooner). The problem with holding off to see if something newer and better will come out, is you'll be waiting forever. This is why you need to do some serious research and get some good hands on before you make a decision to buy a phone in this crazy smartphone environment. My girlfriend bought the myTouch 4g. And let me tell you, whether you're looking at benchmarks, or real world usage, it absolutely trounces the Evo. My Evo is running a senseless rom and is overclocked to 1.2ghz... and the myTouch 4g (stock) is still faster in not just benchmarks (it actually gets creamed in all the benchmarks) but more importantly real world usage. In literally every way it's significantly faster. Hell, even the camera and camcorder embarrass the Evo. Now with all that said... does that make my Evo any less good? Does it give me "buyers remorse"? Does it make me want to jump to the next big thing? Not even close. The Evo is still an incredible phone. It's still on the top tier of phones and probably will be for at least a few more months. If you're on Sprint already and considering the Evo, get it. Who knows when the next big Sprint phone will come out. And even when it does... I'm sure only a few months after that there'll be something even better. Another thing to keep in mind if you plan on waiting for the next big thing.. As I stated before, i'm sure the dual core phones are gonna be coming out soon. And I think this is when things start to slow down just a tad. Smart phone technology is moving at a significantly faster pace than smartphone battery technology. Phones are getting thinner and more powerful. But the batteries haven't really changed much. The norm seems to be ~1500mh. I highly doubt that'll be sufficient enough for a dual core running at least 1.5mhz with probably at least 1gb of RAM. Neither will having a huge 2500mah battery inside either, because thinner is better. So be careful with waiting. You're already missing out on the Evo...

Last edited:

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Phil and the fellas prioritize it best. 1st choose the carrier best for you: a) best signal, and b) price. For me, Verizon is not an option, as coverage at home is poor. Sprint has the best coverage for me and their price can't be beat.

JerzyIroc has it right. Will the next flagship phone on Sprint be enough of an improvement to make the upgrade worth it? For me my EVO killer would have to have improvements in battery life and maybe lighter. Also, if the EVO stopped getting Android version updates, that would be a game changer for me. Increased processor speed is cool, but is it real necessary, right now? Some of the speed improvements can be made with further software optimization.

I can get an upgrade in June, and could probably sell my EVO for close to $200 at that time. So who knows? My guess is that I'll be keeping the EVO for 2-3 years. If it ain't broke...

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
just take an EVO, double all of the hardware specs, throw Gingerbread or Honeycomb on it, price it at $199, and sell it in June 2011.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
There will always be a "newer ver coming down the pipeline". This is the world now. Everything is now obsolete tomorrow. Just go get what works for you or you'll be forever waiting.

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I think this is what's wrong with our society today... Just because a new phone comes out doesn't mean it'll be the best phone... I'm not rich but what people did the same with cars? Everyone a new comes out do you feel obligated to buy it because it a little more shiny? I tell people all the time... If your phone works for you...then why feel the need to have go out and upgrade every few months?
I've gone from android, to blackberry, dabbled with the iphone, back to blackberry...but in the end I had to come crawling back to android...the customization is unmatched and the evo is a power house...which fits me best... sorry for the rant but imho if I were you I would pick up the evo...see how you like it... And if its not enough or too much to handle take it back in that 30 day window and you'll bed back at square one... Except this time with more knowledge of what you need and expect from a phone and os

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

stockh#AC

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Based on what? Doesn't seem like you have anything to support your opinion at all.

If you read my post carefully you should be able to deduce my speculation was based on time. Others were able to pick up on it, why not you?

in case you still can't figure it out I'll help you out....
"I'm not sure when the Evo was released but it seems like it's due....."

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rich but what people did the same with cars? Everyone a new comes out do you feel obligated to buy it because it a little more shiny?

If cars cost $200, the answer is obviously "yes."

This is "what's wrong with society"? Are you freakin' serious?

dcross9818

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Double the RAM and ROM and remove a button, tack on Plus to the name and we got a deal, thanks Palm, oh wait!

---dcross9818

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Phones are only $200 with new customer out upgrade... Check the prices withOut contract...not sure what company you're with but Sprint doesn't roll out new customer price very six months or every time a new phone arrives.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Man I'm not trying to talk crap but my wife has the epic n my cousin has the dx n I'm telling u when we compare phones there's just no match, this EVO is powerful, I can do so much with this thing that I just see myself rocking this phone for a while but I think ill just b an EVO person looking forward for the EVO 2

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I want to go play with the mytouch 4G
I no longer look at Android phones in competition with each other
I just look as Android being the best OS than the rest

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If Sprint is smart they will EVENTUALLY have an EVO 2 or EVO some thing to replace the EVO... build around a name/brand.... It's what Apple is doing with the iPhone... The current iPhone is no where near what the original is but they are building around the name more than anything..

Ford figured that out when they discontinued the Taurus... One of the highest selling cars of all time.... They "Replaced" the Taurus with the Ford 500 and with in two years they renamed it the Taurus because people buy on a name...

That being said... Come on people? It's not time for an EVO 2.... I am sure HTC is working on something for Sprint just like they are working on it for all the carriers...

Your going to have dual core processors phones out before too long and then with Gingerbread your going to probably see a whole new line of phones after the first of the year....

I love my EVO, I am not even remotely curious about other phones because this phone is so bad @$$ it does not need replacing any time soon...

HYDE

Banned
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you read my post carefully you should be able to deduce my speculation was based on time. Others were able to pick up on it, why not you?

in case you still can't figure it out I'll help you out....
"I'm not sure when the Evo was released but it seems like it's due....."

And I don't see people agreeing with your logic. What products do you know of that come out with the second generation after less than half a year? Maybe you should think this one out a little bit more.

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I'd also hate to set a customer-based demand for a shorter end-of-life on our SUBSIDIZED phones... Remember, even though we are paying lower prices for two year contracts, the carriers are taking 12-18 months to produce higher specs and builds in new phones to "replace" the ones we already have... I for one, do not want any of the carriers to think it's expectable to replace my phone and it's OS/bugfix updates in the process any sooner than they already are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol