Google Nav issues?

Watcher07

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've had my evo since shortly after launch, and have been experiencing the same issue pretty much from day one.

First, I am a cable service technician, typically hitting between 8-15 houses a day. Google nav is pretty integral to helping me keep on track and on time. So, the problem I encounter is that about 3/4 of the way through my day, when I launch google nav to start typing in my address, the keyboard either won't appear (it will stay at the speak/type/starred, etc) screen or will switch to keyboard but when I press on the number button to type in the numerical part of the address, it will remain as letters but if I hit a button, it will do the numbers. Same of when the keyboard doesn't appear, its there cause I can hit spots on the screen and get letters, but it doesn't show me the keyboard.

Needless to say, its all a bit frustrating. Also, when this happens my lock screen will act up and occasionally my background will no longer appear. I've read the actual google nav forums through a few times and haven't really seen anyone who's narrowed it down to a software or hardware issue. On the one hand, it seems software related as it persists until I reboot the phone, then everything works fine. On the other, it seems hardware related as aside from the actual app (which seems to work fine on several other phones) the issue has persisted through a stock software setup, various mods (cyanogen, fresh, to name a couple of the several I have tried) and a return to stock. If its a conflict of the hardware with this version of google nav though, I would imagine more people in the community would experience it, though the number of people who use google nav as intensely as I do on an evo are probably few.

So the real question is I suppose, is anyone else seeing a similar ui issue when using google nav over an extended period (btw, tried both using just battery and keeping plugged in) as I am? I've got no problem swapping out the phone if thats the issue, I just need to be able to prove it is all to the sprint tech store. Thanks for any feedback.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
probably none of us use it as much as you do to experience such a problem.

try using google maps. it don't speak but it can navigate. or using the sprint navigation. its included in your plan for free. i've also heard people paying $5 for co-pilot. it's a full fledged program that downloads on your memory card and doesn't require internet.

google nav isn't the only game in town. there are other options.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
In the 4 months I've had my EVO, I've never once seen this issue.

It seems to be more of an issue with the keyboard, have you tried a different one by any chance? Also, you can always force the keyboard open by holding the menu key, if that helps any.

Edit: it might also have to do with overheating, which would explain why it only happens over a long period, and why other things also seem to start breaking (like the lock screen). If that's true, then try keeping the phone cool, or it might be a candidate for a trade-in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol