Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Low on space message

Phone is telling me in notifications that 'phone storage space is getting low' ive moved most everything from phone to sd card with app to sd app. Any ideas why im still getting that notification?

Sent from...... my current addiction

I have been getting that too. It must trigger at less than 50MB left. Kindof annoying.

I have ran out of things to clean up/uninstall and move to the SD card. I'jm surprised because I'm not really a heavy user with a hundred apps installed or anything either.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Try clearing the caches.

Sent from my Optimus T
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    ROM
    boring ol' stock

Quick App Clean Cache - Android app on AppBrain

An app called Quick App Clean Cache is a convenient way to clean the cache. Have it sort apps by cache size and clean those with the largest cache. It is not free, but costs less than a buck and works well.
    Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->EVO 4G-->EVO 3D-->Droid Razr Maxx-->Galaxy S4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Quick App Clean Cache - Android app on AppBrain

An app called Quick App Clean Cache is a convenient way to clean the cache. Have it sort apps by cache size and clean those with the largest cache. It is not free, but costs less than a buck and works well.
    Sounded like that would be the fix. Unfortunately that didnt work.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Bump....anyone? Please help, im not able to install any new apps due to this issue. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by htcuser8740 View Post
    Bump....anyone? Please help, im not able to install any new apps due to this issue. Thanks

Uninstaller - Android app on AppBrain
    HTC EVO 3D- Showdown 1.0 ROM, OC 1728Mhz
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Go into settings and check your phone memory to see how much you have left. What does it say?
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I currently have 10mb available. I've moved apps to sd.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Is it possible that the emails in the gmail app take up space?

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    Fresh 5.2.1 +SBC#15

Are you rooted?
    Cachemate works if you are.
    I've just cleared 32mb

TAutility moves unmoveable apps to the sdcard and it works.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    Fresh 5.2.1 +SBC#15

Quote Originally Posted by htcuser8740 View Post
    Is it possible that the emails in the gmail app take up space?

The gmail databases are in /data/data/com.google.gm/database. So yeah they take some room.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Gmail and google reader app were my issue. I had to uninstall greader since it was consuming 57 mb of memory.

I had the same problem as the OP in that I have very fews apps not on the SD card and yet I was still running out of space. The answer for me was clearing the caches on the 4 browsers I had installed. I went from under 50 mb available to over 330 mb available, no joke. You can clear the caches from within each of the browser apps themselves, and a couple (Dolphin, Miren) even have an option to auto clear the cache each time you exit the app.

My question is this: what other types of apps have caches that can be cleared?

I use SD Move to get apps to the SD card, easier to do than the stock settings menu app.

Quick follow up to my post above (and I answered my own question):

I didn't have a single app with a cache above 300kb other than my browsers, which had many dozens of mbs. Gmail, Market, Fox News, and ScoreMobile had over 100kb, the rest had under 100kb taken up in the cache. I should be fine just clearing my brower's caches from now on, the rest are pretty much irrelevant.
    Banned

I had the same problem and it is solved thanks to this post!

Look up "Advanced SD Card Manager" in the market, handy (free) app that will tell you what can be moved to SD without you having to go into "Applications" in the settings and check one-by-one.

I also use "QuickApp Clean Cache" (only $.99) and it will help you to easily clear your browser cache, along with any other app that caches.

Next, you can "Clear Data" on apps like Facebook. You'll just have to login again, but nothing is lost, but the app likes to save a lot of data that is not needed.

If you go through all of your apps, you will see under "Data" which ones are using a lot of space. Obviously you don't want to clear your contacts or anything that took a lot to set up (because it will also erase passwords), as well as not clearing data in your browser (because your bookmarks are saved there). But for apps like Facebook, Twitter etc, it will clear a lot of space and only require you to log in again.

Make sure you also are not accumulating a lot of text messages. My girlfriend is notorious for this, she will keep all of her conversations at 300+ messages a piece and I have to remind her to delete them from time to time.

I also have POP and IMAP emails set up for multiple accounts. Especially for the POP accounts, make sure you go into and permanently delete messages in your 'Trash' folder. I'll have 100+ accumulate in a week and need to clear it out.

Hopefully some of this helps. I have OCD when it comes to memory, so I am constantly cleaning out apps, caches, data etc.

Again, be careful when clearing 'data' for certain apps (like contacts etc), because you will lose your contacts. But FB is just saving all of the status updatesm newsfeed messages and thumbnail photos that are always loading whenever you use the app, including from a LONG time ago. It's ok to clear this and just sign in again and you are back to a clean slate.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    EVODeck

Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i just go thru my apps once in awhile and send them to the sd card, if available. i have found that some that originally wouldnt allow this all of a sudden do, so keep checking! hopefully all app makers will someday make this available
    Question on this...if say I want to go and buy a 16 gb card how to get everything off easily to the new card from my original 8gb card? Do i have to move all the apps back to the phone and then sync or...? If so there is not way I will be able to do that with all the apps as it would be too much for the phone. As far as media that I can do, I'm more concerned with apps and whatnot with the transition.

I'm pretty sure you can just copy and paste from 8GB card to 16GB card... I would copy and paste to a folder on your computer as a backup just in case (although not common, SD cards can fail from time to time)

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Where might I find 'phone memory'?

I don't see that menu on my Nexus One with 2.2.1

Any ideas?

I just used the quickapp cache app and my phone went from 15% (65m) to 21% (90m) available memory! Thank you so much for posting that.

Sent from my EVO with Tapatalk Pro

Had this same issue and took to sprint store, come to find out Pandora was somehow saving all the music I would listen to. Cleared that out and I have been downloading tons of apps!