Trying out the Evo, coming from iP4

runner7395

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone. I know the Evo has been out a while but I have finally decided to give it a try. I'm with AT&T and have and iP4. I have had every iPhone that has came out and and to tell you the truth, I'm sooooooo bored with the OS. I tried the Samsung Captivate but I didn't like that phone. This is my 2nd day with the phone so I don't have much experience with it but so far I am liking it. It will take some getting used to but I love being able to customize the phone the way I want it!!!!

I really like the size of the screen, especially since I'm over 40 my eyes aren't what they used to be. HTC seems to have built a nice phone.

So will the Evo take over for my iPhone? Only time will tell. I have 29 more days to decide.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
OP - very interested to find out if you will end up keeping the EVO... I'm eyeballing it right now (and also the Incredible HD - which will be EVO-like)... I'm an iphone guy as well - and getting bored with the OS, jailbroken or not... I'm almost thinking of doing exaclty what you're doing... Trying out an EVO 4G since Sprint has a generous 30day no risk trial policy...

Keep us posted...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
OP - very interested to find out if you will end up keeping the EVO... I'm eyeballing it right now (and also the Incredible HD - which will be EVO-like)... I'm an iphone guy as well - and getting bored with the OS, jailbroken or not... I'm almost thinking of doing exaclty what you're doing... Trying out an EVO 4G since Sprint has a generous 30day no risk trial policy...

Keep us posted...

I'm curious why you didn't keep your N1.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious why you didn't keep your N1.

sometimes I ask myself that as well... ;) lol

I guess I was frustrated with poor battery life at the time... but I got rid of it when 2.0 was still the latest... had 2.2 been out at the time, i might have kept it... but i switch phones too often... always ending back to an iphone... although also always bored after about 5-6 months with one... it's an obsession.... ;)

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. I know the Evo has been out a while but I have finally decided to give it a try. I'm with AT&T and have and iP4. I have had every iPhone that has came out and and to tell you the truth, I'm sooooooo bored with the OS. I tried the Samsung Captivate but I didn't like that phone. This is my 2nd day with the phone so I don't have much experience with it but so far I am liking it. It will take some getting used to but I love being able to customize the phone the way I want it!!!!

I really like the size of the screen, especially since I'm over 40 my eyes aren't what they used to be. HTC seems to have built a nice phone.

So will the Evo take over for my iPhone? Only time will tell. I have 29 more days to decide.

I also have a iPhone 4, came from a 3GS. It only took two models and I'm bored with it. With each iteration of the iPhone very little is changed or added. I played with my friend's EVO today and thought I was insane for buying my i4 without considering a EVO. I love screen, notifications, non fragile feel of the case, and how I can go to southparkstudios and steam an episode flawlessly over 3G without having to leave the native browser. Literally almost everything about the EVO is better then the iPhone 4. The only thing I like more about the iPhone is the camera, but I still plan on switching to sprint.

Amazon is offering the EVO for $100 with contract. Sign me up!!

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, what are your thoughts about the battery life comparison of both devices? I have always liked the iPhone 4. The phone itself looks amazing. And the multimedia content is great. But it doesn't have the features of the EVO. They are both awesome devices.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
OP-

I think you'll find the Evo's build quality to be pretty on par with the iPhone. It might be one generation behind, but the OS is progressing along at a much faster pace.

As long as you give it a full shot, I'm confident that you'll stay with the Evo. Just take note of what you don't like, and do some investigating as there's a good chance that you can customize whatever it is you would like different.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The screen space is awsome, I use my Evo more than my 11-inch notebook at home on the couch. I have no desire for a tablet now because I get the functionality from my Evo. You will also save some money on Sprint per month with the same types of plans on ATT.

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I posted this in the intro forum so I'll repost it here. I too came from an iPhone 4 and switched to the EVO...

My phone is rooted with the Sprint Lover's custom ROM. A few things I miss about the iPhone are:

1. Superior Battery Life - Lets not kid ourselves, the battery life on the iPhone 4 is way better without any nonsense tweaks and imported batteries. I can go 15 hours of normal use without charging on my EVO. I can get through a few days on the iPhone 4 without charging.

2. World Phone Capability. I hope the next EVO is World Phone capable as I do a lot of international traveling. Thank god I have a Touch Pro 2 lying around.

3. Apps are still better on the iPhone. When do you think Rage will be on the Android platform and run that smooth? And when will we get real push notifications on the FaceBook app? There's a lot of crap applications on the iPhone, but the quality apps still get an edge over Android as of now. Even Google is building apps for the iPhone. The Google Voice app works great. HOWEVER, I definitely do notice that Android is catching up at a rapid pace.

4. Form Factor - Perfect size, perfect build quality and beautiful screen. Antenna and call quality? SUCKS

5. Integration into Everything - Works great with my Mac, iPad, and Windows 7 devices. Also a ton of accessories that are made specifically for the iPhone.

What I like about Evo / Android / Sprint

1. Notification System - iOS doesn't even come close to how well Android handles this. A big selling point for me.

2. FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE - Pretty self explanatory. I have my Evo setup how I want in terms of sound, icons, widgets and how their arranged. I can even load customized ROMS

3. Much more reliable Network! - Had so much dropped calls on the iPhone, stupid antenna issue on top of the already crappy network. No way to run a business with dropped calls and poor call quality.

4. Wireless '4G' WiFi Tethering - It's like carrying a MiFi device around. Comes in really handy when you need it. And when you can get 4G, it's freakin amazing. I've sent and received huge data files in places with no internet service and it's great.

5. Plans on Sprint are better in Value - $69.99+$10 and getting 27% discount for 450 minutes, unlimited data, text, and any mobile anytime with NW starting at 7?! To hell with AT&T.

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I too switch fr ip4 but let me tell u I haven't look back this thing is just amazing, n ever since froyo I feel like is a mini laptop cause I can pretty much view any browser with flash, I have a good internet at my house so so far at home I don't have problems with lag...

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I posted this in the intro forum so I'll repost it here. I too came from an iPhone 4 and switched to the EVO...

5. Plans on Sprint are better in Value - $69.99+$10 and getting 27% discount for 450 minutes, unlimited data, text, and any mobile anytime with NW starting at 7?! To hell with AT&T.

you get a 27% discount on an "Everything" Plan?

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
you get a 27% discount on an "Everything" Plan?

i also get 25% off monthly.
on the same plan.

the only plans that DO NOT qualify for a discount are the sprint UNLIMITED 99 a month plan.

i have also realized sprint is the most discount friendly provider.

i filled out the form online for USPS employees, and they had the deal all approved and the phone ready to be shipped to me with no id check or anything.

pretty crazy, but nice and stream lined.

sprint uses a affiliate, Wireless Innovations to do the federal and USPS accounts.( they MAY use this same company to do the same for other company approvals/discounts)
i know the highest discount u can get is either 27% off or 30% off.

with tmobile or att, they need u to fax in a copy of a id or a check stub, screw that.

so with my discount the 69 plan is now 49.

u only get the discount on the plan it self.

if you have 4g, then the 10 still applies,along with spending limit fee (5 dollars), insurance (7 dollars) and all taxes.

in the end, its well worth it.

on another note.

how come iphones get so much better battery life?

how big is that battery??

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
welcome to the other side and freedom..lol.. I think that is what makes Android so appealing, the ability to truly make your phone "your phone". You will never see two Android phones that look the same, except when they are powered off.

Enjoy ya EVO and hope you stay with Android....

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
i also get 25% off monthly.
on the same plan.

the only plans that DO NOT qualify for a discount are the sprint UNLIMITED 99 a month plan.

i have also realized sprint is the most discount friendly provider.

i filled out the form online for USPS employees, and they had the deal all approved and the phone ready to be shipped to me with no id check or anything.

pretty crazy, but nice and stream lined.

sprint uses a affiliate, Wireless Innovations to do the federal and USPS accounts.( they MAY use this same company to do the same for other company approvals/discounts)
i know the highest discount u can get is either 27% off or 30% off.

with tmobile or att, they need u to fax in a copy of a id or a check stub, screw that.

so with my discount the 69 plan is now 49.

u only get the discount on the plan it self.

if you have 4g, then the 10 still applies,along with spending limit fee (5 dollars), insurance (7 dollars) and all taxes.

in the end, its well worth it.

on another note.

how come iphones get so much better battery life?

how big is that battery??

The iphone uses lithium polymer batteries most phone use lithium ion...polymer has a longer life and doesn't require a solid case.

icehead13

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Who switched from Iphone 4 to Evo and Back to Iphone 4

I was really considering this possibility. I love the Evo, and have already switched to I Phone 4, now I've swithched back to Evo 4. I love the long battery life of the IPhone 4,I hate ATT network,although i have only had 2 drop calls with IP4. Even if I dont stay with Evo 4G, I will get a Blackberry to hold me over. I was at a birthday party the other day and everyone with Evo's had battery's that were going dead or near dead. I know this is not important to some people but i cant live on a charger. evrybody there with Iphone 4's and Blackberry's were just clicking away. Geezz.