- 41 Posts
Trying out the Evo, coming from iP4
Hey everyone. I know the Evo has been out a while but I have finally decided to give it a try. I'm with AT&T and have and iP4. I have had every iPhone that has came out and and to tell you the truth, I'm sooooooo bored with the OS. I tried the Samsung Captivate but I didn't like that phone. This is my 2nd day with the phone so I don't have much experience with it but so far I am liking it. It will take some getting used to but I love being able to customize the phone the way I want it!!!!
I really like the size of the screen, especially since I'm over 40 my eyes aren't what they used to be. HTC seems to have built a nice phone.
So will the Evo take over for my iPhone? Only time will tell. I have 29 more days to decide.
- 11-20-2010, 06:26 PM #2
- 11-20-2010, 06:35 PM #3
- 264 Posts
- JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)
OP - very interested to find out if you will end up keeping the EVO... I'm eyeballing it right now (and also the Incredible HD - which will be EVO-like)... I'm an iphone guy as well - and getting bored with the OS, jailbroken or not... I'm almost thinking of doing exaclty what you're doing... Trying out an EVO 4G since Sprint has a generous 30day no risk trial policy...
Keep us posted...***SOLD but not forgotten***
Google Nexus One
- 11-20-2010, 06:41 PM #4
- 11-20-2010, 06:58 PM #5
- 11-20-2010, 07:18 PM #6
- 11-20-2010, 09:39 PM #7
- 264 Posts
- JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)
I guess I was frustrated with poor battery life at the time... but I got rid of it when 2.0 was still the latest... had 2.2 been out at the time, i might have kept it... but i switch phones too often... always ending back to an iphone... although also always bored after about 5-6 months with one... it's an obsession....***SOLD but not forgotten***
Google Nexus One
- 11-21-2010, 07:20 AM #8
- 387 Posts
Amazon is offering the EVO for $100 with contract. Sign me up!!
- 11-21-2010, 07:32 AM #9
- 11-21-2010, 09:42 AM #10
- 186 Posts
I think you'll find the Evo's build quality to be pretty on par with the iPhone. It might be one generation behind, but the OS is progressing along at a much faster pace.
As long as you give it a full shot, I'm confident that you'll stay with the Evo. Just take note of what you don't like, and do some investigating as there's a good chance that you can customize whatever it is you would like different.
- 11-21-2010, 10:30 AM #11
- 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM #12
- 115 Posts
I posted this in the intro forum so I'll repost it here. I too came from an iPhone 4 and switched to the EVO...
My phone is rooted with the Sprint Lover's custom ROM. A few things I miss about the iPhone are:
1. Superior Battery Life - Lets not kid ourselves, the battery life on the iPhone 4 is way better without any nonsense tweaks and imported batteries. I can go 15 hours of normal use without charging on my EVO. I can get through a few days on the iPhone 4 without charging.
2. World Phone Capability. I hope the next EVO is World Phone capable as I do a lot of international traveling. Thank god I have a Touch Pro 2 lying around.
3. Apps are still better on the iPhone. When do you think Rage will be on the Android platform and run that smooth? And when will we get real push notifications on the FaceBook app? There's a lot of crap applications on the iPhone, but the quality apps still get an edge over Android as of now. Even Google is building apps for the iPhone. The Google Voice app works great. HOWEVER, I definitely do notice that Android is catching up at a rapid pace.
4. Form Factor - Perfect size, perfect build quality and beautiful screen. Antenna and call quality? SUCKS
5. Integration into Everything - Works great with my Mac, iPad, and Windows 7 devices. Also a ton of accessories that are made specifically for the iPhone.
What I like about Evo / Android / Sprint
1. Notification System - iOS doesn't even come close to how well Android handles this. A big selling point for me.
2. FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE - Pretty self explanatory. I have my Evo setup how I want in terms of sound, icons, widgets and how their arranged. I can even load customized ROMS
3. Much more reliable Network! - Had so much dropped calls on the iPhone, stupid antenna issue on top of the already crappy network. No way to run a business with dropped calls and poor call quality.
4. Wireless '4G' WiFi Tethering - It's like carrying a MiFi device around. Comes in really handy when you need it. And when you can get 4G, it's freakin amazing. I've sent and received huge data files in places with no internet service and it's great.
5. Plans on Sprint are better in Value - $69.99+$10 and getting 27% discount for 450 minutes, unlimited data, text, and any mobile anytime with NW starting at 7?! To hell with AT&T.Macbook Air 13" 2013 | iMac 27' 2011 | iPhone 5s 32GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 32GB
visit me at www.thegeeksoffice.com
- 11-21-2010, 05:47 PM #13
- 11-21-2010, 05:53 PM #14
- 11-21-2010, 06:00 PM #15
on the same plan.
the only plans that DO NOT qualify for a discount are the sprint UNLIMITED 99 a month plan.
i have also realized sprint is the most discount friendly provider.
i filled out the form online for USPS employees, and they had the deal all approved and the phone ready to be shipped to me with no id check or anything.
pretty crazy, but nice and stream lined.
sprint uses a affiliate, Wireless Innovations to do the federal and USPS accounts.( they MAY use this same company to do the same for other company approvals/discounts)
i know the highest discount u can get is either 27% off or 30% off.
with tmobile or att, they need u to fax in a copy of a id or a check stub, screw that.
so with my discount the 69 plan is now 49.
u only get the discount on the plan it self.
if you have 4g, then the 10 still applies,along with spending limit fee (5 dollars), insurance (7 dollars) and all taxes.
in the end, its well worth it.
on another note.
how come iphones get so much better battery life?
how big is that battery??If you think i helped you, please click the Thanks button on the right
- 11-21-2010, 06:06 PM #16
- 223 Posts
- Nexus 4, Nexus 7
welcome to the other side and freedom..lol.. I think that is what makes Android so appealing, the ability to truly make your phone "your phone". You will never see two Android phones that look the same, except when they are powered off.
Enjoy ya EVO and hope you stay with Android....
- 11-21-2010, 06:19 PM #17
- 11-21-2010, 06:25 PM #18
- 11-21-2010, 06:49 PM #19
- 11-21-2010, 11:39 PM #20
- 12 Posts
Who switched from Iphone 4 to Evo and Back to Iphone 4
I was really considering this possibility. I love the Evo, and have already switched to I Phone 4, now I've swithched back to Evo 4. I love the long battery life of the IPhone 4,I hate ATT network,although i have only had 2 drop calls with IP4. Even if I dont stay with Evo 4G, I will get a Blackberry to hold me over. I was at a birthday party the other day and everyone with Evo's had battery's that were going dead or near dead. I know this is not important to some people but i cant live on a charger. evrybody there with Iphone 4's and Blackberry's were just clicking away. Geezz.
- 11-21-2010, 11:48 PM #21
they are already a few posts about ppl who have gotten rid of there iphone 4s for the evo and dont even think about going back.
ppl are getting easily 10-18hrs of battery life with there evo with the right settings, some even get more.
its all on you and how u have it set up.
if this is really a problem, they make bigger batteries, the Seido 3500mah or even ebay 3500 mah (really cheap but work) are the way to go.
first i suggest the tweaks for battery, setting the screen OFF auto brightness, making sure your accounts arent auto syncing all the time and so on....If you think i helped you, please click the Thanks button on the right
- 11-22-2010, 12:15 AM #22
- 11-22-2010, 12:20 AM #23
- 11-22-2010, 12:35 AM #24
- 12 Posts
not trolling,just another phone schizo trying to make sense of it all. That turning off everything to make the phone last sort of bugs me though. I mean i understand why it makes it last, but then why have the phone if you dont use 4G(im in 4G area) 4g kills battery and have to turn everything off to get through the day of normal use. Mmmm, I just don't know and Im not making the phone bigger by adding a car battery.They need to make it more power friendly.
- 11-22-2010, 12:40 AM #25