Assign ringtone to contact?

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
How do I assign a ringtone to contact in android 2.2 evo?

I tried going into People, selecting my individual, click the ringtone option for that individual, select the ringtone desired, it plays, click "OK" and goes back to the individuals info screen with the ringtone listed as "default".

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
When I click "Edit" either at the bottom of the screen or through "Menu" the next screen displayed does not have the ringtone option.

thevumeister

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Go to people. Click on the contact you want to edit the ringtone. Scroll down to ringtone. Click on ringtone. Change the ringtone to whatever you want. That's it.
How do I assign a ringtone to contact in android 2.2 evo?

I tried going into People, selecting my individual, click the ringtone option for that individual, select the ringtone desired, it plays, click "OK" and goes back to the individuals info screen with the ringtone listed as "default".

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Go to people. Click on the contact you want to edit the ringtone. Scroll down to ringtone. Click on ringtone. Change the ringtone to whatever you want. That's it.

That is what I tried first, after I select the desired ringtone I have the option of OK or Cancel. I hit "OK", but it does not keep the ringtone I selected it goes back to "default".

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
^ have you tried clearing the cache or data in the application settings?

Try this... Settings>Application>People>clear data.

Then try to save the ring tone you've selected. See if it will save then.

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I checked Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Running>People

"Clear Cache" is grayed out. If I "Clear Data", is that deleting all of my contacts?

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I went by the Sprint Store today to see if they had a explanation for this problem. After some troubleshooting, they said that the reason I (and they) could not modify a ringtone for an existing contact is because the gmail account (which is backing up contacts/people) is preventing it.

The work around is to set the ringtone when the account created in "people". So I deleted my person and then recreate it and at that time I was able to set the ringtone I wanted for that person.

thevumeister

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad it worked out for you. But I still don't understand why you couldn't do it the old fashion way! All my contacts backed up with gmail. I change ringtone for different contacts many many time, and it alway works. In fact, I just tried to do it right before I type this, and it worked. Anyway, I'm confused but glad it works out for you.

I went by the Sprint Store today to see if they had a explanation for this problem. After some troubleshooting, they said that the reason I (and they) could not modify a ringtone for an existing contact is because the gmail account (which is backing up contacts/people) is preventing it.

The work around is to set the ringtone when the account created in "people". So I deleted my person and then recreate it and at that time I was able to set the ringtone I wanted for that person.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
^ I mean, that would make sense... If you ported in contacts from gmail you might not be able to edit certain things. Same with facebook I would guess. But... I would think that anything saved to the phone would allow editing to certain settings. If you think of it from a technical stand point, it would make sense where you couldn't edit phone features on gmail contacts...

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
^ I mean, that would make sense... If you ported in contacts from gmail you might not be able to edit certain things. Same with facebook I would guess. But... I would think that anything saved to the phone would allow editing to certain settings. If you think of it from a technical stand point, it would make sense where you couldn't edit phone features on gmail contacts...

No, your gmail contacts are imported to your phone, meaning they're saved on your phone. You still have access to your contacts, even when you have no signal or wifi, right? Exactly.

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
My contacts were initially loaded by importing (sync) from Outlook. The salses person at Sprint tried his phone and had the same problem. Don't know how he loaded/entered his contacts.

I just tried a three different users in my people list and I can change any of their ringtones. So now I am confused.

beehtcthai

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the problem like you on htc wildfire s. I try to assign ringtone in individual contact but can't change, still show default ringtone. I don't know the reason but look so complicate in contact, may be come from many way to manage one technique (same computer). In contact, I have many replicate of 1 contact, from phone, sim card and google. Some contact may be have more than 1 contact which come from phone. I don't know why my phone show like that. Once I try to import contact from sim card to phone, the result was same contact between phone and sim card have more 1 contact in phone> very complicate in android technology. why the same contact can save on phone, I don't know.
For first problem, the technician told me, try to assigned pass music menu. Go to song>menu in song>assign for contact. Yes, I can do it but that is the song but I want ringtone in ringtone folder, so I can't solve this problem.
(sorry for my poor english)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia