stock mail app not saving old emails ...

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hello,

i have multiple email accounts hooked up to the stock email app via POP. i've noticed that at least one of these accounts does not save old emails lately. it seems to only save 7 days' worth. i looked at my yahoo POP mail (not via the yahoo app), and that one has old emails dating all the way back to day one. is there some setting that i am missing?

thanks!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
did you check the settings? on your phone and in the actual email account. usually something like this is related to a setting being off somewhere.

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
the settings in the mail program itself are identical for all of my POP accounts, yet the yahoo POP keeps all my old mail and the account in question does not.

i am not seeing where to make more general settings on the phone outside of the mail program. can you point me?

thanks.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The mail program would have all the settings in it. What kind of POP accounts are they? Maybe those particular services don't let you keep them.

You could try a third party email app like maildroid and see if it does the same thing. That would be an easy way to tell what the problem is.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Is there a chance that you have this mail account set up on anouther PC that is pulling the mail off the server? I have all the mail accounts set up this way for everyone at work it keeps the server from geting full. Basicly once an eamil is downloaded to the users PC it is deleted from the server. Emails that were on my EVO before I opened them on my PC are removed from my EVO after they are downloaded to my PC.

Later,
Dave

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there a chance that you have this mail account set up on anouther PC that is pulling the mail off the server? I have all the mail accounts set up this way for everyone at work it keeps the server from geting full. Basicly once an eamil is downloaded to the users PC it is deleted from the server. Emails that were on my EVO before I opened them on my PC are removed from my EVO after they are downloaded to my PC.

Later,
Dave

hey, dave. no, i dont have these accounts set up on outlook or anything like that. i access them on a computer via webmail.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
That was going to be my next suggestion K9 is good to and watch the OEM mail see if it fixes itsself I am still curious about why its doing that.

Just glad you have a solution,
Dave

GripnRip

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have this issue as well. It seems like it may be an issue with the way Android 2.2 handles POP accounts as it didn't happen before the 2.2 update. I've looked through numerous forums and it seems to be happening on the EVO, the Incredible, the Desire, etc...

The problem is that the internal settings (not user defined) are having the mail program check the mail server to see if downloaded messages are still there every time you send / receive. If the mail is no longer on the server it deletes it off your phone. I know this is not how POP mail is supposed to work, but that's what it's doing.

My office is looking at upgrading a few blackberries to Android phones, but until our office email is moved off of a POP server onto something like Exchange, I'm not sure I can recommend it. I love my EVO, and I love Froyo, but I hate what the update did to my POP mail on my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca