Why are the iPhone and Windows Phone 7 browsers smoother than the Android browser?

green

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
This site is smooth on my phone but go to pocketnow.com's full site on your phone (even with flash off) and it gets choppy/sluggish.

When I'm on my ipod touh which isn't even 1ghz, the scrolling and pinch to zoom are so smooth? How is this? The Android should be more responsive.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
well i know that in the reviews the iPhone had better(smoother) web browsing. I think it has something to do with their Retina screen. Maybe the windows 7 phone has a super amoled screen? I dunno, i'm taking a shot in the dark that maybe it's the screen+connection=smooth browsing. every phone is different...

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just checked pocketnow using my DInc and Dolphin HD and it was a smooth as all the other sites I browse. You may just want to try a new browser and see if that helps.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
This site is smooth on my phone but go to pocketnow.com's full site on your phone (even with flash off) and it gets choppy/sluggish.

When I'm on my ipod touh which isn't even 1ghz, the scrolling and pinch to zoom are so smooth? How is this? The Android should be more responsive.

I don't know, Why are the iPhone and Windows Phone 7 browsers smoother than the Android browser?

When you get the answer let us know because there's nothing wrong with my browsers smoothness.

Sfm Evo

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I think the answer lies in the GPU. I know exactly what you are talking about, and it's not just smoothness in the browser, it's in scrolling as well. I know updates have removed the FPS cap but in every FPS demo I have seen the "smoothness" come from increased FPS. While the EVO has the horse power to match the iphone and other Windows phones, the GPU just isn't quite hitting the FPS to give that high quality smoothness you see in other devices.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone suspends most tasks when you launch a new app. So when you launch its browser the phone is not as bogged down by background tasks so can devote more CPU etc.. to it.

Now that all sounds great until you consider that most of your background tasks are suspended and it does not multitask nearly as nice as Android does (In other words Android is still able to check your mail, stream radio, check on the networks status, update your calendar and check for UPS packages all the while updating the GPS as you still browse.

I know you don't always do all of that, my point is it is more like a PC in that it can run other apps and tasks while you browse.

My browser works really well for the most part and I hardly bog down (though it does happen and can be annoying) so I am unsure what program may be causing your issue if it does it all the time but I will take a small slow down over most of my processes being suspended any day.

Try a reboot, that may clear it up. Then note what programs you launch and if it acts up again it may be a bad program running.

donald.aleshire

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I think it has something to do with the OS personally. I have heard a lot of things about "gingerbread" and one thing that keeps popping up is that it brings iPhone scrolling. Really smooth, no jitters.

Now I am not really knowledgeable about this type of stuff, but it sounds to me like a definite software issue. iOS I think is just more polished right now in this area but Android will be there soon. It took iOS a few years to get copy/paste and multitasking, while Android had that practically right out of the box. So if it takes Android until 2.3 to get the scrolling down right, then that sounds about equal.

But I do noticed a difference in iOS vs Android scrolling in webpages, apps, music, photos etc, but nothing to bug me.

TrueDrooid

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the iPhone having better scrolling overall maybe its the FPS limitations they put on the HTC evo, not sure.
Is your 4G turned on by chance?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The Evo had the FPS limit removed as we all know, but as cloak said the GPU on the Evo isn't that great. With that said I honestly don't think the lack of smooth scrolling compared to other phones has anything to do with the Evo itself though. I really think a big part of it is htc's coding. Anyone here that's ever used Cyanogen on their Evo knows the Evo is capable of smooth zooming and scrolling and overall some insane performance. People would be very surprised if they know how much of a difference software can make. Hell, even on the VaelPak Nonsense (no Sense) rom I use scrolls and zooms better than the stock ROM. htc Sense is by far my favorite skin on Android, but they seriously need to learn how to code more efficiently. Between the ****ty camera/camcorder coding and crappy coding in other areas they really do a superb job at hindering the capabilities of the Evo. Perfect example is how on average 75% of the RAM is being used on the Evo even when just sitting if using a Sense based ROM... Meanwhile with Cyanogen only about 30% of the RAM is being used while sitting (with all the same apps installed of course). htc does an awful job at managing resources.

myrcgarage

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
it is related to how the OS was written. I heard either Gingerbread or Honeycomb will have Kinetic scrolling. Then, Android will have the same scrolling as iphone.

The most noticeable scrolling smoothness on the iphone is when you move your finger up or down on a screen - any screen. It is just smooth. However, it is jerky on Android. I am really looking forward to Kinetic scrolling in Gingerbread, hopefully.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ahh... anothing thing to keep in mind: Browser text reflow. I noticed that the two browsers that offer the smoothest zooming is the AOSP browser and Miren. Both don't have text reflow... As you zoom in and out while using text reflow I think the system is reflowing it on the fly so when you finally stop zooming, it'll load faster. If that's the case then I'm sure that explains why broswers w/o text reflow (from what I've noticed at least) zoom faster, because it's just zooming in and out w/o having to process anything else in the background... I could of course be wrong. Just throwing a theory out there.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My droid x with LP runs it smooth too. A lot of androids suck because of bloat/manufacture skins. The codec between the three can't even be compared, as the framework is different. I think the OP didn't get a good android experiance. US seasoned users know a few tricks, and what devices run tops from the box.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think this has just turned into a discussion about browser smoothness. It's hard to compare android to iOS and WP7 because they are coded completely different. Anybody ever wonder why the original Iphone was just as buttery smooth as the 3G or 3GS? It's because of the programming language. This was discussed in depth on the precentral forums (remember it Milo) because the Pre had the same exact processor as the 3GS but was nowhere near as smooth.

Apple and Microsoft has an advantage in this area because they have way more control over the OS environment than Google does with Android. This is a side affect of being an "open" operating system.

jwebste9

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Having used both the iphone and windows mobile and blackberry for that matter. Android has a much smoother faster browser in my opinion.

stsh0502

May 18, 2010
Visit site
there isn't hardware acceleration in the browser..... ios and windows phone 7 have hardware acceleration in the browser and the rest of the ui.... its not that evos gpu is poor its that the gpu isn't being used

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech