Anyone else tired of 10 dollar fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of being charged 10 bux a month for the inability to use 4G service.

Sprint is rolling out this 4G stuff way too slowly for my tastes, especially when I've dumped 50 dollars into it so far just so I have the pleasure of using 3G, or the phone at all.

And the argument that I can use 4G if I travel to a place that has it doesn't stick. I'd rather save my 10 dollars a month and use 3G everywhere, than have 4G only when I travel.

So, who's with me on this?

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I'm not in 4G coverage but I don't mind the 10 bucks because it's still cheaper then Verizon. I also live close enough to a 4G area to make it worth it sometimes.

If you are really sick of the 10 bucks, you could go with a non-4G phone and not have the 10 dollar fee. I'm confused as to why people complain about this fee so much when it's an opt in fee. Sprint has to pay for the 4G infrastructure some how and it's definitely not cheap.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
It's not really an opt in fee. Why should I have to settle for a lesser phone to not have an unnecessary fee?

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The fee pays for the development of 4G towers. The phone is meant to be a 4G phone. If they allowed it to be 3G only, it might take away from the sales of the 4G unit. A company has to make money some how and for a company like sprint, that is bleeding like a stuck pig, they need it. You can't loose 900 million dollars in a quater and then justify nurfing the phone that is supposed to be bringing in the money.

lvguy1966

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So your argument is that a company should be allowed to charge its customers for a service they dont actually have because someday they might have it??? I pay it because I don't care, I wanted the phone and understood I would have to pay the fee, but that doesn't make it right. I live east of Los Angeles and they just turned on the 4G here, but I live too far east to get it, and probably never will. The notion that you should buy a lesser phone to avoid paying fees for service that you don't get on a better phone is basically stupid. That would be like paying your cable company $25 extra every month because they tell you they are gonna try to get you NFL Sunday ticket next year and need the money to get it. Business works because companies offer services for a fee, not charge a fee for services they might have someday....

reynoldsrobbie

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Was also just thinking, my wife and myself each have an EVO and pay$20 a month. Why can't I pay just $10 per account instead each phone???Hmmmm

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
The fee pays for the development of 4G towers. The phone is meant to be a 4G phone. If they allowed it to be 3G only, it might take away from the sales of the 4G unit. A company has to make money some how and for a company like sprint, that is bleeding like a stuck pig, they need it. You can't loose 900 million dollars in a quater and then justify nurfing the phone that is supposed to be bringing in the money.

You don't need to nerf the phone. You need to stop charging your customers for services they can't use regularly.People would still buy the Evo and the Epic on a "Hey, we'll get 4G to you eventually at 10 dollars a month, but for now, keep your 10 dollars and use 3G."

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Was also just thinking, my wife and myself each have an EVO and pay$20 a month. Why can't I pay just $10 per account instead each phone???Hmmmm

That too. Or at least a discounted rate, maybe 10 dollars for the first phone, 5 dollars for additional phones.

ChaosShadow

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
The fee pays for the development of 4G towers. The phone is meant to be a 4G phone. If they allowed it to be 3G only, it might take away from the sales of the 4G unit. A company has to make money some how and for a company like sprint, that is bleeding like a stuck pig, they need it. You can't loose 900 million dollars in a quarter and then justify nurfing the phone that is supposed to be bringing in the money.

Well put. And let's not forget, the $10 removes the data cap, thus giving us TRULY unlimited data. I'm cool with that... and still boatloads cheaper then ATT or VZW! :cool:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Trun, nice avatar. I would not be cool with a 4g fee with no 4g. If I went where 4g service was, sure, hit me with it, but if not, I would be mad. 10 bucks for 4g service is a very fair price though!

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the other cell phone companies that are rolling out their 4G are charging their customers $10 a month?

Verizon will be charging you "$50 for 5GB a month. Overage runs $10 a gigabyte."

AT&T doesn't have 4G

T-Mobile has "4G" but not truly which isn't fair to compare to Sprint's 4G.

So no, no other company charges you 60 bucks for everything and then 10 bucks for 4G, which, btw is unlimited.

Edit: Verizon's is modem only as well. Where the modem will cost you 100 bucks on contract and 250 bucks off contract.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
So your argument is that a company should be allowed to charge its customers for a service they dont actually have because someday they might have it??? I pay it because I don't care, I wanted the phone and understood I would have to pay the fee, but that doesn't make it right. I live east of Los Angeles and they just turned on the 4G here, but I live too far east to get it, and probably never will. The notion that you should buy a lesser phone to avoid paying fees for service that you don't get on a better phone is basically stupid. That would be like paying your cable company $25 extra every month because they tell you they are gonna try to get you NFL Sunday ticket next year and need the money to get it. Business works because companies offer services for a fee, not charge a fee for services they might have someday....
Damn straight, man.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
They can easily just change the 69.99 data plan to 79.99 across the board. Then what would be the complaints be? Would that make it fair to people with a crappy free dumbphone to pay more now just to help pay for the handful of 4G phones Sprint sells? I understand the frustration but even though you don't live in a 4G area how do they know you'll never use it? You guys also have to realize that while it may be "officially" released in only a handful of cities, there's a large amount of areas that STILL get 4G. Where my gf lives in Edison, NJ there's 4G coverage. That's 30 miles away from the nearest "official" 4G area, NYC. Heck, even in Jersey City (1 mile away from NYC) where i live it's not official but I can easily get 12mb/s almost everywhere in JC. So what is Sprint supposed to do? Give me free 4G just because it's not "officially" there? Enjoy your cheap truly unlimited plan. If not, I'm sure Verizon has their arms wide open with a more expensive plan along with a sweet data cap ready and waiting for you.

ANd... You think you don't that already with other services? At least Sprint has the balls to TELL you they're charging you for something you may not be able to use but more than likely will benefit you in the future.

Last edited:

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Trun, nice avatar. I would not be cool with a 4g fee with no 4g. If I went where 4g service was, sure, hit me with it, but if not, I would be mad. 10 bucks for 4g service is a very fair price though!
Thanks, I giggled for about a hour straight before, during, and after I made it.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
They can easily just change the 69.99 data plan to 79.99 across the board. Then what would be the complaints be? Would that make it fair to people with a crappy free dumbphone to pay more now just to help pay for the handful of 4G phones Sprint sells? I understand the frustration but even though you don't live in a 4G area how do they know you'll never use it? You guys also have to realize that while it may be "officially" released in only a handful of cities, there's a large amount of areas that STILL get 4G. Where my gf lives in Edison, NJ there's 4G coverage. That's 30 miles away from the nearest "official" 4G area, NYC. Heck, even in Jersey City where i live it's not official but I can easily get 12mb/s almost everywhere in JC. So what is Sprint supposed to do? Give me free 4G just because it's not "officially" there? Enjoy your cheap truly unlimited plan. If not, I'm sure Verizon has their arms wide open with a more expensive plan along with a sweet data cap ready and waiting for you.

ANd I agree 100% with Trun... You think you do that already with other services? At least Sprint has the balls to TELL you they're charging you for something you may not be able to use but more than likely will benefit you in the future.
How they know you aren't going to use it, is make a separate flag for your data profile login. If it doesn't have the 4G flag, you don't get 4G service. Just ike they do for tethering and wifi hotspot

lvguy1966

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well you do have to turn 4G on on your phone to use it, so I'm sure they can tell if you are using 4G or not, and if you do use it then they can charge you the fee for the month, it's just stupid to charge a fee for something that if you don't live in a 4G area you probably won't use....

Status
Not open for further replies.