4G Keep Alive Issue

Patnet

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone familiar with a app or process that could be used to keep Sprint 4G alive on the EVO? I find Sprint drops my 4G down to 3G periodically each day--the 4G icon switches to 3G. It may be happening because of non-use? Is it normal? The phone remains in the same location so I don't believe it's a radio issue. I need something that won't use up to much battery. I'm keen to resolve the issue because right now I have to hit the 4G icon twice whenever I want to use it. Once to switch it off and then again to reconnect, and the delay feels a bit like the good old dial-up days.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am in a spot where 4G is 1-2 bars and mine will disconnect randomly as well, and not due to lack of use. It will do that just a few minutes after use. Other times in the same spot it stays connected. I think WiMax is just suffering from weak signals.

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
when I'm stationary in a 4g area, I toggle my 3g off... that forces my phone to always use the only available data connection (4g)... when I'm mobile, driving etc, I do just the opposite...

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I would say how strong is your 4G signal? I had a max of one bar on my EVO at my house and what you describe is what was happening to me. Just recently Sprint boosted the signal in my area I now have 4 bars of 4G at my home all the time now once connected my EVO never loses the connection.

Later,
Dave

Patnet

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have 3 bars. I tried R1_Rydah's solution of turning off 3G and turning on 4G only, but did not get anything this morning, 3 or 4G until I turned 3G back on. I then got 3G. maybe it's teething problems for Sprint. They've only just turned 4G on officially in LA where I am. Thanks for all your contributions.

Patnet

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
not sure you want to force 4G if the phone doesn't want to. no means no.

I want to drop my cable Internet and just use 4G EVO with the hotspot functionality. I don't want to do it if I have to "dial-up" by pressing the 4G connection button whenever I need Internet. Defeats the object.