Signal Draining Battery

oespinoza83

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had my EVO since it came out and have never really had issues with battery life. I live in Houston and get 4G roughly in 90% of the city and most importantly a STRONG 4G signal at work. I recently moved to a new apartment and I get really POOR signal strength. 4G is not found at this location. I am talking a huge battery drain here. For example, I can place the phone on the counter and do nothing to it for an hour and it will drain from 70-30%.

My question is, and sorry if this has been answered already, is there an app, widget, option to help fix this? I guess is there a way to make my phone stop searching for a 4G (or 3G) signal? I haven't had much luck on the forums because all battery threads don't mention signal strength as a typical drain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I believe the market has several 4G widgets that will turn the radio on and off.

You can also go to settings > mobile networks and un-select 4G

ChaosShadow

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
You can add the HTC 4G widget to one of your home screens. It's a toggle for the 4G radio. Also, if 3G is poor, you can flip on WiFi at home.

Jobob Jet

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I reported this problem to HTC several months ago and they said that low signal strength will cause the battery to drain faster. The lower the signal the faster the brain.

I found that good WiFi coverage at home/work and an app called "NoBars Battery Saver" mask the problem very well.

good luck.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I reported this problem to HTC several months ago and they said that low signal strength will cause the battery to drain faster. The lower the signal the faster the brain.

I found that good WiFi coverage at home/work and an app called "NoBars Battery Saver" mask the problem very well.

good luck.

This is just the way it is with CDMA radio technology, and unfortunately WiMax. The lower the signal the harder the radio is trying and the more power it is using. GSM radios handle low signal much better.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had my EVO since it came out and have never really had issues with battery life. I live in Houston and get 4G roughly in 90% of the city and most importantly a STRONG 4G signal at work. I recently moved to a new apartment and I get really POOR signal strength. 4G is not found at this location. I am talking a huge battery drain here. For example, I can place the phone on the counter and do nothing to it for an hour and it will drain from 70-30%.

My question is, and sorry if this has been answered already, is there an app, widget, option to help fix this? I guess is there a way to make my phone stop searching for a 4G (or 3G) signal? I haven't had much luck on the forums because all battery threads don't mention signal strength as a typical drain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Complain to Sprint and have them give you an airave. It works wonders. Well, of course you wont be getting any 4G. But atleast you'll get a stable 3G. Just turn off the 4G. I haven't even gotten my EVO yet, but i can tell you that poor signal keeps your battery on CDMA phones. I cant say the same about GSM though.

oespinoza83

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Complain to Sprint and have them give you an airave. It works wonders. Well, of course you wont be getting any 4G. But atleast you'll get a stable 3G. Just turn off the 4G. I haven't even gotten my EVO yet, but i can tell you that poor signal keeps your battery on CDMA phones. I cant say the same about GSM though.

Thank you so much. After this post I searched the web for Airave info for a few minutes and found a good forum that had info about it. Typically they run $99 to purchase, and then $5/month service fee. I found phone numbers that got me directly to the Customer Retention Department and within 2-3 minutes of being on the phone with her (plus no hold), she mailed me a free Airave and waived the monthly fees. From what I have read about it, the Airave might be exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Plus, I found out I get a 12% discount because of my employer being a preferred Sprint member. Sprint > *

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much. After this post I searched the web for Airave info for a few minutes and found a good forum that had info about it. Typically they run $99 to purchase, and then $5/month service fee. I found phone numbers that got me directly to the Customer Retention Department and within 2-3 minutes of being on the phone with her (plus no hold), she mailed me a free Airave and waived the monthly fees. From what I have read about it, the Airave might be exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Plus, I found out I get a 12% discount because of my employer being a preferred Sprint member. Sprint > *

Yeah. Now you have to deal with the problems that the airave brings lol. You'll figure it out if you're on the phone at home and then decide to take a trip down the road while still on the phone lol. Or if you try to text someone as soon as you get home. Welcome to the world of missed calls and text that was sent to you while you're entering your house.