Evo stuck on screen I've never seen before! Please Help

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The Short: Phone stuck on black screen with a picture of a phone in the middle with a red exclamation point in a triangle.

The Details: My phone started acting funny today. Apps wouldn't work, the Market was acting funny, not installing anything. Tonight it started getting slow and so I started deleting apps that I don't use anymore. I noticed that my battery drained about 30% in about 3 minutes. So I turned my phone off, and turned it back on. It would get to the 4G splash screen and then reset again, again and again. I've had this infinite boot loop happen before so I figured I would bite the bullet and reset my phone to factory settings. I took the battery out, put it back in, held down the volume down button and turned it on. I was presented with the options of fastboot, recovery, clear storage, etc. I was on the bus and forgot which one i picked last time, so I figured i would just try "recovery." It started to reset, and then all of a sudden went black except for a picture of a phone in the middle of the screen with a red exclamation point in a triangle over it. I took the battery out and tried to do this again, but now I can't even get in to those recovery options, it just goes right to that black screen with the phone and triangle. Anyone out there know how to fix this? At this point, I don't care about my info on my phone, I just need my phone to be functional tomorrow. Thanks.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Easy, while youre in the recovery screen with the picture of the phone and the triangle, press volume down (or up i forget) and it will give you options. One of them is to reboot. Hit that one.

Seems like youre having problems with bootloops? Have you tried a factory reset?

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I reset it to factory settings and its working again. And thank goodness none of my pictures were lost. That was my only concern. I really need to sync my photos/contacts more often.

jeffsalvo

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

jeffsalvo

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you have USB debugging enabled on the phone? Or are you trying the to run the RUU from your bootloader?

i had USB debugging enabled but the phone wouldn't get off the "black screen w/ exclamation point of death" and into the OS for me to make any changes. i wasn't even aware you could run an RUU from the bootloader! i think my wife is taking my phone in to best buy today to get it replaced. i wish i had more time to try to fix this on my own but alas...

also, i wish i had known there were multiple hboot versions or that this would have happened based on newer software. i feel like the post gbhil made is somewhat obsolete now because i got stuck at step 3 when the batch file wouldn't restart the phone!

i hate sounding like a noob but i thought i knew more than this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995