Things I've done with my EVO, I couldn't do with my other phones!

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It was suggested to me by vel7wil that this might be an interesting topic to discuss and I agree. I came to my EVO from my HERO not much comparison there so I'm going back one more to the Touch Pro 2 days and WinMo (Windows Mobile 6.5) there are some huge changes there. So if your coming from BB or WinMo Fruit phone Web OS or what ever tell us whats changed.

1) Gmail and well all email I don't use exchange is better.
2) Navigation is better easier to use with Google Maps
3) ROM Manager need I say more?
4) Titanium Backup really wish I had this on WinMo
5) Google Voice this is a price less upgrade for me made my personal and business calls so much easier to navigate.

Well there is a few to get you started what do you guys have.

Later,
Dave

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Coming from WebOS when it comes to multiple task WebOS is superior. No questions. But nice having a Device in my case the HTC EVO that does so much more like Hdmi, video chat better more apps. Better hardware. Only really thing I do not like about Android again the multiple tasking. Kinda a Bummer that a 1 GHz phone can't more than 3 things without restarting. Grrr. But I wouldn't go back to webOS. Android has so much more to offer. And it's way better than ios in any case. No doubt about that.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Upload picture files directly without using the available url. Watching flash content on websites. 1Ghz processor without using an overclock kernel. Plus many many more......

anon(98566)

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Umm....use it for a week without a battery pull? :D

Seriously though, my Evo is great. I'm a police officer and with it's large screen, I can take photos of licenses, registration and insurance information for crash reports and look at it from the phone rather than have to keep track of all that paperwork. Just did that a few minutes ago before I typed this.
It's camera is more than suitable for taking most work related pictures (street side mug shots, vehicle damage, stolen/recovered property, etc).

I also have access to my city's Exchange Server, so I can look up email addresses for anyone in the city.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
May I suggest using HanDBase with your Evo - it is a database application that allows you to collect bunches of information. DDH has a gallery with bunches of applications and a few do a bit of what your line of work involves.

Seriously though, my Evo is great. I'm a police officer and with it's large screen, I can take photos of licenses, registration and insurance information for crash reports and look at it from the phone rather than have to keep track of all that paperwork. Just did that a few minutes ago before I typed this.
It's camera is more than suitable for taking most work related pictures (street side mug shots, vehicle damage, stolen/recovered property, etc).

I also have access to my city's Exchange Server, so I can look up email addresses for anyone in the city.

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Check out Evernote. You can caption your pics. And add whatever info you need all in one app.

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My hard drive went out on my laptop, so I've been using my EVO almost exclusively for everything I need a computer for. Including paying my bills, somebody with a pre did this and blogged about it. I've started a blog about my use of my EVO and app reviews that I'm using. I don't know if I can post the url or not, or if anybody would even be interested. It's working out very good so far. I have only found one web site I couldn't use.

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com

street side mugshots...lol...love it.;)

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
came from a pre. video chat, hdmi out, thousands of apps and so much more!

I too came from the pre and I really enjoy the EVO that much more,,,I use the HDMI out to TV, video chat, the file management is just so much easier with the available apps that so I dont have the connect to my PC nearly as often the work with m files, and the 4g is probably the best feature of all, being able to be on a call, text and browse...ALL AT THE SAME goes without saying as the one thing thing I find I cant get along without

sextonar

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am also a police officer... heres another tip that you can do.

With our evidence process... anytime we take photos for evidence we have to burn them to a cd. I have been using my evo to take the photos... upload them to picasa on scene and when i get back to the station it makes it easier to pull them from there and burn them.

We keep cameras in our police cars but 95% of the time the battery is dead in them, the memory card is missing or I have to hunt to the cable to transfer the data.

Also one night I used the google my tracks to map my area of coverage during my shift, you can then send it to google docs and have it printed out. Neat tool to see what areas you are patrolling most and what areas you might be neglecting.

sextonar

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
one more thing

for the naked vs protected screen debaters outthere

I have been in several foot pursuits, use of forces, and a few accidental drops.

not a scratch on my screen and I keep it in my left shirt pocket just below my badge.

Hayze

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Gosh where to start...

I came from a phone without data, it was a Blackberry, but for all intensive purposes it might as well have been an LG Rumor.

Anyways, I can do so much more on this phone. I'm constantly updating facebook, I was able to respond to my future (hopefully) boss' email incredibly quick and got the first interview spot, which hopefully will help me land the job. Constantly downloading apps, constantly surfing the web. Oh yeah, call quality is very good, better than my last phone, I can actually use the speakerphone. Texting is much quicker, so instead of waiting 5-6 seconds for a text to send, I wait a quarter second for it to pop up and be sent. I actually use the calender, contacts is much better.

The list goes on and on, but I'll stop here, you get the point. Basically everything on the EVO is new to me haha.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
1) Not drop calls randomly across Atlanta (AT&T always dropped calls).
2) Speak texts instead of just type them.
3) Not have to squint while looking at the screen (Big prob with Pre Plus).
4) Able to keep up with social networking and not be "that guy" who's always flipping menus on his phone to get to some screen ("REALLY"??).
5) Find cases and extended batteries for my phone with no problem.
6) Have flash working smoothly in my browser (which pisses off iPhone users).
7) Not be embarrassed to use my phone in public (The Palm Pre Plus was a joke.

Still discovering all that I can do. Only had it since 12/17, Friday.

dzuchowski

Banned
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
It was suggested to me by vel7wil that this might be an interesting topic to discuss and I agree. I came to my EVO from my HERO not much comparison there so I'm going back one more to the Touch Pro 2 days and WinMo (Windows Mobile 6.5) there are some huge changes there. So if your coming from BB or WinMo Fruit phone Web OS or what ever tell us whats changed.

1) Gmail and well all email I don't use exchange is better.
2) Navigation is better easier to use with Google Maps
3) ROM Manager need I say more?
4) Titanium Backup really wish I had this on WinMo
5) Google Voice this is a price less upgrade for me made my personal and business calls so much easier to navigate.

Well there is a few to get you started what do you guys have.

Later,
Dave

how about one more with web cam girls and the front facing cam? It can be a great replacement for the desktop pc cam! We can be int he shower and live cam with a hot women!