SERIOUS HTC EVO 4G FLAW DISCOVERED! Charge FAILS via USB

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the microUSB charging port issue is known. You have to find a store that will take care of it. Some do, some don't. It really is about luck.

reynoldsrobbie

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Why would it be luck? It seems to be a black or white issue. Its under warranty so therefore it should get fixed. OP do you have a Sprint repair center near you? If you do, they should fix or repair it. If not ca;; Sprint and see if they will open a claim to get it replaced.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Use the search function built into the forums. Charging port issues are known. So is getting Sprint to deal with it. Some people have been told it's physical damage. Some aren't asked questions at all. Some have to go to multiple stores to not be asked questions.

It shouldn't be about luck. A problem acknowledged by the manufacturer should be taken care of, but unfortunately that's not always the case.

prdstm0nke

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site

exactly...

as has been mentioned, do a hard reset first to rule our SW weirdness. if the issue persists, take it to a corporate sprint store. if you pay for ESRP/TEP, it will be covered. if not, it will cost $35 to replace the phone (likely) or repair the port (less likely).

OR

you can contact HTC and get it repaired/replaced under their warranty.

its as easy as that.

hope that helps.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
This is so ironic for me. I actually went to the Sprint Store yesterday with this issue.

I bought my Evo on launch day, and my charging port started to fail a couple of months ago.

It started with me having to sometimes jiggle or re-adjust the plug, or have the phone in a certain position when charging.

That got annoying, and the last straw was when the phone charged at a slow rate, and when I could not transfer data b/w the phone and comp, and could not use USB Tethering. I searched many forums and talked w/ HTC and they said it was a documented issue that affects a small minority.

I was nervous about Sprint being d*ck, but my visit was painless. Dropped my phone off, left it with them for 35 minutes, and when I returned they told me I can pick up my replacement in two days. So tomorrow I will have my new Evo and hopefully it will be an improvement.

willy900wonka

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
OP, when you're not doing too well with a sprint store, take a minute in front of the manager, go into google maps, places and start to leave feedback about that particular store. It usually has a cathartic affect. It also lets others know about lousy service.
I was amazed when in a cvs, I found I was not alone in getting lousy service. I should have checked first.

BTW If it comes to it, ask to speak to the regional manager. Keep escalating, until you get your phone fixed.

Last edited:

BPHusker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This happened to my first EVO (in August). I went to the Sprint store and they tried to make it out that I was the one that broke it. I told him it is well documented that the port is cheaply connected to the motherboard. He took it to the back anad looked at it for about 15 minutes then came out and said he'd get me a replacement. It was a refurb I think (brown box), but worked fine. I think this charging port is starting to crap out too... :|

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I had an HTC Mogul do the same thing to me way back when. I could charge through the mini-usb port, but not sync at all. That's particularly a bad thing with a Windows Mobile phone since you sync with ActiveSync. Sprint replaced it for me without a problem, but then I carry the full insurance since these things are expensive and I don't want to stay awake at night worrying about them. :)

Runnin_it

May 13, 2010
Visit site
And will also find an abundance of owners who have NOT had it. That doesn't make a person a denier of the problem; it makes them a denier that THEY have the problem.

I have had mine since launch day, and have no light leakage, screen separation, usb port issues, dust under screen, etc. However, I DO acknowledge these issues exist FOR SOME USERS.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
my money is on user error. putting the cable in upside down or sideways jamming them in until you get it right and thus causing damage to the port and/or cable. and/or trying to save a nickel using cheap ebay non-OEM chargers and then wondering in astonishment why your port is broken.

Karadax

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
putting the cable in upside down or sideways jamming them in until you get it right and thus causing damage to the port and/or cable. and/or trying to save a nickel using cheap ebay non-OEM chargers and then wondering in astonishment why your port is broken.

I have HTC's car dock for the EVO and when I place it in the cradle it really never lines up correctly so it always ends up scraping into place uncomfortably a little bit. it's really not an OEM issue. All plugs / ports wear out. There is no way you can treat every part of your phone like a fragile flower 100% of the time - in fact I refuse to.

One day we just might see the magnetic charging ports ALA apple start to become main stream which wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
My HTC Evo fails to charge on anything but an old Nokia power-supply based charger-only, which I found at a thrift store today.

I can no longer xfer files (mp3's, mp4 videos etc) because not a single USB (9 so far) connects, so customizing and putting content into my micro SD inside the phone is no longer a feature I get to enjoy (without removing the card each time) that is. What a pain in the a**!

When I connect any micro USB, my phone just stays dark. It used to light up 5 days ago. My Evo is 45 days old. I never jammed or put the USB in wrong or dropped the phone edge-on with the plug (I'm a total geek with high-tech gadgets, I'm the resident fix-all around here) I would have expected my 12 year old to mess up the charging jack by dropping or wrong-way jamming, but her's works great and connects, charges and allows xfer of files on any USB she uses (and so does my wife's Evo!)

As for my unit, it used to light up whenever I connected a USB cable like my wife and daughter's does, not on mine! Even the HTC issued cable that came with the phone FAILS to do anything!??

I only have this ancient battered old NOKIA micro USB Power Supply charger and nothing else I got at Goodwill, no way to xfer files nor install updates via USB to PC xfers.

The phones cost me $399.00 each after rebates and mine is now just totally lame crap because NOT A SINGLE USB CABLE WORKS ON IT ANYMORE.

Sprint won't do anything to help, they were useless to rectify this issue or provide answer of who could possibly fix or be of some help, they just shrugged and pointed me to the door, even though I was the 14th customer to come into the store that month for the EXACT SAME ISSUE (November, 2010). Anyone have some advice, or did I just get screwed out of a perfectly functioning HTC Evo because of mine has the SERIOUS DEFECT now surfacing in the market?

By the way, I heard above that someone got theirs to work by hard resetting ther Evo, how would I go about doing that?? Does a hard reset kill everything as far as contacts and settings?? Anyone know? My last resort to see if resetting the phone does anything. I know I'm not the only one dealing with this issue, but I feel it's serious enough a flaw that we should try to figure out a solution.

Also, injecting electro grease into the port did nothing, by the way.

Thanks in advance, I will monitor this thread nevertheless. The AndroidCentral forums rawk!

A hard reset should be your got to fix first to make sure it is not a software issue. If you are the resident fix it guy it seems like you would know about hard resetting your device. I am sure by now someone has told you how to do it and what it will delete.

I definitely wouldn't recommend doing any work to the phone yourself. Even the electro grease. Do you have insurance? If so, just take it back... Get another unit. Turn around time is usually a day or two tops.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
My HTC Evo fails to charge on anything but an old Nokia power-supply based charger-only, which I found at a thrift store today.

I can no longer xfer files (mp3's, mp4 videos etc) because not a single USB (9 so far) connects, so customizing and putting content into my micro SD inside the phone is no longer a feature I get to enjoy (without removing the card each time) that is. What a pain in the a**!

When I connect any micro USB, my phone just stays dark. It used to light up 5 days ago. My Evo is 45 days old. I never jammed or put the USB in wrong or dropped the phone edge-on with the plug (I'm a total geek with high-tech gadgets, I'm the resident fix-all around here) I would have expected my 12 year old to mess up the charging jack by dropping or wrong-way jamming, but her's works great and connects, charges and allows xfer of files on any USB she uses (and so does my wife's Evo!)

As for my unit, it used to light up whenever I connected a USB cable like my wife and daughter's does, not on mine! Even the HTC issued cable that came with the phone FAILS to do anything!??

I only have this ancient battered old NOKIA micro USB Power Supply charger and nothing else I got at Goodwill, no way to xfer files nor install updates via USB to PC xfers.

The phones cost me $399.00 each after rebates and mine is now just totally lame crap because NOT A SINGLE USB CABLE WORKS ON IT ANYMORE.

Sprint won't do anything to help, they were useless to rectify this issue or provide answer of who could possibly fix or be of some help, they just shrugged and pointed me to the door, even though I was the 14th customer to come into the store that month for the EXACT SAME ISSUE (November, 2010). Anyone have some advice, or did I just get screwed out of a perfectly functioning HTC Evo because of mine has the SERIOUS DEFECT now surfacing in the market?

By the way, I heard above that someone got theirs to work by hard resetting ther Evo, how would I go about doing that?? Does a hard reset kill everything as far as contacts and settings?? Anyone know? My last resort to see if resetting the phone does anything. I know I'm not the only one dealing with this issue, but I feel it's serious enough a flaw that we should try to figure out a solution.

Also, injecting electro grease into the port did nothing, by the way.

Thanks in advance, I will monitor this thread nevertheless. The AndroidCentral forums rawk!

Well, what are you expecting from us? To sprinkle some fairy dust on it and make it work?

You sounds as if a hardware problem is a foregone conclusion. If that's the cause, this forum can't really help you right?

Your options include: 1) Insurance 2) Claiming it's defective and getting a warranty replacement.

Good luck

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Well, what are you expecting from us? To sprinkle some fairy dust on it and make it work?

You sounds as if a hardware problem is a foregone conclusion. If that's the cause, this forum can't really help you right?

Your options include: 1) Insurance 2) Claiming it's defective and getting a warranty replacement.

Good luck

Members come here for help, regardless of what their issue is. Even if we have to point them in a different direction, that is still help. Sarcastic remarks take away from that experience, please refrain from them.

akodoreign

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
actually I have broken a few cables (usb micro) on my evo. But the phone itself is fine.

I ordered like 12 of them for a buck a peice at monoprice.com

It seems the weight of the phone if it gets knocked off the table etc is enough to break the connectors.

So far down the original HTC cable, 1 wall charger, 2 cables I bought from monoprice.

Oh and my boss broke his HTC cable as well...

Probably why the nokia one works and the others do not. :cool:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, this isn't a serious flaw. Think of how many evos are sold and people don't come running to these forums to complain.

Anyways, I don't have ANY hardware problems with my evo. No light leakage, no dust, no port problems, no nothing.

Misleading, over inflamed title.

jbsyst

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with my EVO. I would have to wiggle the cable or position the phone on the nightstand a certain way our even hold it. But it eventually just completely failed on me. The little pins inside the male portion had started separating from all of the wiggling and twisting. It wasnt a phone issue though because the cable from my Palm Pre Touchstone worked just fine. I now keep that one in my laptop case and I bought a 6ft cable from Radio Shack for home use. Haven't had any issues since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49